Oline is not only found in top 2 rounds

rf54

I did this a few years ago but with all the talk of taking OL with top 2 picks I think it was time to do this again. Offensive linemen come from all over the draft and from free agency. Just drafting them high is no guarantee that they will be great OL, see Matt Kalil. 
I will readily agree that many top Oline picks have very solid careers, but for every 1st round Olineman that is rated at the top there is also a undrafted free agent, or a later round pick.

The Eagles have a very solid Oline. Rated #5 overall, but only Lane Johnson was a first round pick. He is rated as the #16 OL from 2018. It should also be pointed out that he has been suspended twice by the NFL and his next indiscretion will be his 3rd strike and at least a 16 game suspension. Jason Kelce, the Eagles center was rated as the 3rd best OL in 2018. He was a 6th round pick. Brandon Brooks is rated 22 and he was an undrafted free agent originally signed by Houston. The rest of their Oline was Peters (trade), Seumalo 3rd round pick and Viatia a 5th round pick. Conclusion… Not all top draft choices.

The top rated Olineman in 2018 was Terron Armstead of the Saints, he is a 3rd round pick. He outperformed 2 first round picks on the same oline and will be playing with Nick Easton in 2019, an undrafted free agent who originally signed with Baltimore. Ramczyk is rated as #6.

2nd highest rated was Bakhtiari, a 4th round pick by the Packers, they only have 1 starter that was drafted 3rd round or higher in Bulaga, the only other high pick is back-up Sprigs a 2nd rounder.

#4 is Mitchel Schwarts from KC. He was signed as a UFA from Cleveland. Funny because that is where KC gets it’s linemen, they traded for Cleveland’s Cameron Erving, and signed Austin Reiter who was waived by Washington twice and then waived by Cleveland who has made him a starter.

#5 is Zack Martin, Cowboys. Now they have a line that is full of 1st and 2nd round picks yet they were only the #14 rated Oline by PFF. La’el Collins was an undrafted FA but he probably would have been a 1 or 2.

#7 Shaq Mason, NE, was a 4th round pick and he starts next to a 5th round pick Cannon. Their top drafted Olineman is Wymms who they drafted at the end of the 1st round last year but has never played a snap in the NFL.

#8 Joe Staley, SF a 1st round pick, SF also drafted McGlinchey to eventually replace Stahley. There other 3 starters come from other teams by trade or signed as free agents.

#9 Rodney Hudson Oak, signed as a free agent from KC.

#10 Rod Hazenstien, LAR, 2nd round pick by Rams, They also Started Sullivan, UFA, Witworth UFA, and Blythe who was waived by Indy.

#11 Witworth, LAR

#12 Matt Parradis, who was a 6th round pick by the Broncos, The Broncos only have 1 draft choice taken above the 5th round who is projected to start, Garrett Bolles.

#13 Marshal Yanda, 3rd round pick. Ravens are also starting Orlando Brown who many here wanted nothing to due with in last years draft. They also start a 4th rounder and a UDFA.

#14 Jake Mathews ATL. He was the only lineman drafted by the Falcons starting on their line in 2018. They were rated as the #12 Oline by PFF.

#15 Lindsley Packers, see above

#16 Lane Johnson, Eagles, see above

#17 Taylor Morton Panthers, took over for Matt Kalil and had a breakout year. The Panthers also jettisoned Ryan as well.

#18 Alex Mac, ATL, Free agent from Cleveland

#19 Brandon Linder, Jax, 3rd round pick, plays with another 3rd rounder and 4th rounder as well as a free agent from Carolina. No 1st round picks on Jax line.

#20 Alejandro Villanueva, UDFA Philly, Pitt has 2 1st rounders listed to be starters and 2 other UDFAs.

#21 Tyron Smith, see cowboys above

#22 Brandon Brooks, see Eagles above

#23Austin Blythe, Rams, waived by the Colts

#24 Trent Williams, Wash, 1st round pick by Skins in 2010. Has had a very good career, but injuries have taken their toll. Wash was rated as 18th best Oline in football, only other top pick starting on skins is Brandon Scherff.

#25 Ryan Kelly, Colts, They better have a great line in 2019 they are loaded with top picks. With the #3 rated Oline they squeaked into the playoffs only to lose to Houston. The had the #11 rated Defense.

I guess my point is, NFL linemen come from all places, not just the 1st and 2nd round of the draft.

•  

10 minutes ago, rf54 said:

I guess my point is, NFL linemen come from all places, not just the 1st and 2nd round of the draft.

We're generally aware of that, but the Vikings haven't been good at finding them.  That's the problem.  The last OG the Vikings selected in the 3rd round or later that had any success for the Vikings was Todd Kalis 31 years ago, save Brandon Fusco, drafted in the 6th rd in 2011 (as a C), who did start many games for the Vikings at OG, until they swapped him to the left side, then he went downhill quick.  And OT, it's been about as bad, with the last one drafted at the 3rd rd or lower that was any good was Matt Birk (who ended up playing C), drafted in the 6th round 20 years ago.  

No first round pick, of any position, is guaranteed to be successful.  Just look at the quarterbacks...for every Aaron Rodgers or Matthew Stafford...there is a Robert Griffin or Matt Leinart.  Tom Brady was found in the 6th, Russell Wilson in the 3rd.  For the Vikings, Fran Tarkenton was a 3rd round pick.  Joe Montana was also a 3rd rounder.  John Unitas...in the conversation as the greatest quarterback of all time wasn't drafted in any round.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that first round picks are just as much a risk to bust as those in the 7th.  Yet, those with first round value...based on their ability to play...not their potential...usually make it in the NFL. 

4 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

No first round pick, of any position, is guaranteed to be successful.  Just look at the quarterbacks...for every Aaron Rodgers or Matthew Stafford...there is a Robert Griffin or Matt Leinart.  Tom Brady was found in the 6th, Russell Wilson in the 3rd.  For the Vikings, Fran Tarkenton was a 3rd round pick.  Joe Montana was also a 3rd rounder.  John Unitas...in the conversation as the greatest quarterback of all time wasn't drafted in any round.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that first round picks are just as much a risk to bust as those in the 7th.  Yet, those with first round value...based on their ability to play...not their potential...usually make it in the NFL. 

No, they aren't just as much a risk as a 7th round pick. That's why different picks have different value. I'm not sure you were really trying to say that though?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Diggs, Thielen, Hunter, Gedeon, Ant Harris...

but i agree with you basically, 

sorry, I thought we were talking about OL here....name the OL pick after round 2 that worked out.....

To your point, they've had more luck with other positions....

7 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

sorry, I thought we were talking about OL here....name the OL pick after round 2 that worked out.....

To your point, they've had more luck with other positions....

But is that luck, coaching, or a combination of the two?

57 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

But is that luck, coaching, or a combination of the two?

There are too many data points for me to seriously consider luck.

Coaching is a factor. I would add into that though that the Vikings have been terrible at scouting, and to me that is clearly the number one problem. They simply are no good at evaluating the position. If coaching were the main problem we would be seeing players suddenly looking good after they left the team. That just isn't happening. They are not bringing in the right players.

I have advocated for a complete overhaul of the scouting personel and method that the Vikings use to evaluate offensive linemen. It isn't luck nor is coaching a primary contributor. They have been really, really bad at bringing in the right players. 

• Like 1

I agree with this for the most part, but typically the first 2 rounds the offensive lineman that are taken are the most “pro - ready” especially when you are considering interior lineman.

They may not pan out to be the best, but do give you the chance to have a starter immediately. And when you do “hit “ on them, they typically become pretty good.

i still don’t believe pick #18 has to be an offensive lineman, but if we do pass, I’d almost guarantee #50 will be one.

We’ve relied on Olineman drafted outside the first two rounds and FA’s for years. Regardless of how good your OL coaching is, you should still take players in these rounds. 

I’m done with not putting big resources into the most important unit in football.

• Like 1