Raiders suspend their scouting staff?

vike daddy

Those area scouts the Raiders sent home are missing all the fun.

Mike Silver of NFL Network reports that the Raiders have conducted practice drafts this week, with G.M. Mike Mayock and coach Jon Gruden making the picks under the pressures of the same time clock that will be used on Thursday night, when the Raiders have three first-round picks.

The practice sessions make sense for Mayock, a top media draft expert who never has been involved in actually drafting players. During the fake draft, coaches and personnel executives who weren’t kicked out of the building this weekend pretended to be other General Managers, and they made trade proposals to Mayock and made picks “while Mayock oversaw the Raiders’ hypothetical operation.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/23/raiders-prepare-mike-mayock-jon-gruden-with-practice-drafts/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Mike Silver of NFL Network reports that the Raiders have conducted practice drafts this week, with G.M. Mike Mayock and coach Jon Gruden making the picks under the pressures of the same time clock that will be used on Thursday night, when the Raiders have three first-round picks.

The practice sessions make sense for Mayock, a top media draft expert who never has been involved in actually drafting players. During the fake draft, coaches and personnel executives who weren’t kicked out of the building this weekend pretended to be other General Managers, and they made trade proposals to Mayock and made picks “while Mayock oversaw the Raiders’ hypothetical operation.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/23/raiders-prepare-mike-mayock-jon-gruden-with-practice-drafts/

id pay money to watch this practice draft lol 

3 minutes ago, Geezy said:

id pay money to watch this practice draft lol 

there is a niners fan out there who paid 22k to be in the war room this draft lol 

Gruden and Mayock in a war room would be 10x more entertaining imo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

So in essence,  it was like taking candy from a baby and the Raiders draft went flawless for Mayock? 

Sounds like the equivalent of a Fantasy Football draft where someone comes in with a Top 50 list but has no idea whose who, where they play, or needs. Surely the Coaching staff has very limited knowledge about the players they were taking? Thier not scouts?

See it now. 

With the 4th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Raiders select DE Joey Bosa,  Ohio St.

With the 24th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Raiders select DT Ed Oliver, Houston.

With the 27th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Raiders select TE  T.J. Hockenson, Iowa.

Mike You are amazing,  What a draft, You think it will unfold like that? Maybe.......🙄🤯

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

With the 4th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Raiders select DE Joey Bosa,  Ohio St.

With the 24th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Raiders select DT Ed Oliver, Houston.

With the 27th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Raiders select TE  T.J. Hockenson, Iowa.

Nah we're getting Bosa at #35.

On 4/23/2019 at 5:35 PM, Nabbs4u said:

So in essence,  it was like taking candy from a baby and the Raiders draft went flawless for Mayock? 

Sounds like the equivalent of a Fantasy Football draft where someone comes in with a Top 50 list but has no idea whose who, where they play, or needs. Surely the Coaching staff has very limited knowledge about the players they were taking? Thier not scouts?

See it now. 

Mike You are amazing,  What a draft, You think it will unfold like that? Maybe.......🙄🤯

does Mayock have a Delorean?

More detail about the decision:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/29/nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/

Now for the Mayock-scout relationship, and the infamous Ian Rapoport tweet about sending the scouts home.

Mayock: “I came in at an atypical time for a GM, in January, and we had a four-month run that might’ve been the most important in the history of the Oakland Raiders as far as a draft and free agency. We’ve been to one playoff game in 16 years. They’ve been doing things a certain way around here and it hasn’t worked. They bring me in in January and I inherit a group of scouts for four months. I was 100 percent transparent with them the first week I got here. I told every single scout that they might not like the fact that a media guy’s their boss, which they probably didn’t. I told them I knew I had to earn their respect, and I would. But they also had to earn my respect and they had four months to do it because all their contracts were up. I made the decision three weeks ago that when the scouts’ work was done in this building, I was gonna send most of them home. I told them, and 45 minutes later it was on Twitter. So the decision to send them home, in hindsight, was the right one.

“I’ve known for years there have been leaks out of this building. Al Davis had a phobia about it when he was in his prime. He was really good about keeping it from happening. My deal, the bottom line for me, is you’ve got to trust the guys you work with. To me, if you’re a good teammate, what goes on in this building stays in this building.”

• Like 3

Even more details about what happened afterwards. I actually liked Mayock personally. And if he was on a team that I didn't dislike, I would totally be rooting for him. But alas, he's with the Raiders.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/06/mike-mayock-clelin-ferrell-raiders-2019-draft-kyler-murray-daniel-jones-dwayne-haskins

The scouts. This is where Mayock raised his voice a little. The Raiders dismissed scouting chief Joey Clinkscales and Vandernat shortly after the season, and knew more changes would come post-draft. And yes, Mayock did send scouts home a week before the draft to close the circle. But he told me only three of those guys were actually let go. A bunch of them are back at work now.

“I never fired any of them. I didn’t. I sent them home,” Mayock said. “Listen to me, I sent them home, and I fired zero of them until the day after the draft. And then I notified a couple guys [that they were let go]. End of story. Nobody follows the story. Nobody cares. Everybody just wanted to report that Mayock sent everybody home.”

And while the idea that Mayock banished people had a totalitarian feel to it, the GM was actually very quick, in our conversation, to credit the work of the guys he kept around during draft week (who were also important in getting college free agents and will be important going forward). Two—assistant player personnel director Trey Scott and scouting coordinator Teddy Atlas—went above and beyond. The latter, in fact, was “directly responsible” for the team’s seventh-round pick, Prairie View pass-rusher Quinton Bell, according to Mayock.

“When the rest of the league was hoping to sign him as a free agent, Teddy was at his pro day,” Mayock said. “He was a converted wide receiver who went to defensive end at Prairie View. And Teddy kept this kid alive for me. And he ends up being 6' 4", 240, ran 4.44, played one year at defensive end. The bottom line is those two guys helped me immensely throughout this whole process."

• Like 2