Just like Davenport

LoganF89

12 hours ago, Woz said:

Depends on who is on the board at 15. If we get that death board (all of the best defensive talent gone), then absolutely.

Why not stay at 15 and take BPA? If you do that then you’re still getting a good D prospect or one of the best WR or OG prospects in the draft.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Why not stay at 15 and take BPA? If you do that then you’re still getting a good D prospect or one of the best WR or OG prospects in the draft.

Because you’d still get that at 24, just with an extra 2nd or 3rd round player thrown in for free.   

One of the keys to effectively managing the NFL draft is humility. No one nails every pick and every player, so you need to be able to make your peace with the fact that the draft is a crapshoot and your rankings/evaluations will often turn out to be wrong. It’s appealing and prideful to blindly trust your board and refuse to admit that you don’t REALLY know exactly how these guys will turn out — but the smartest teams don’t suffer from this kind of hubris, which is why they value pick quantity over higher picks. 

Let me re-frame the issue a bit. If we had pick 24 in this draft, would you be in favor of trading that pick plus a 2nd rounder to move up to #15?

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Because you’d still get that at 24, just with an extra 2nd or 3rd round player thrown in for free.   

One of the keys to effectively managing the NFL draft is humility. No one nails every pick and every player, so you need to be able to make your peace with the fact that the draft is a crapshoot and your rankings/evaluations will often turn out to be wrong. It’s appealing and prideful to blindly trust your board and refuse to admit that you don’t REALLY know exactly how these guys will turn out — but the smartest teams don’t suffer from this kind of hubris, which is why they value pick quantity over higher picks. 

Let me re-frame the issue a bit. If we had pick 24 in this draft, would you be in favor of trading that pick plus a 2nd rounder to move up to #15?

Ok, but you’re not getting your choice of the best. I’d rather have the #1 or 2 WR or OG prospect on our board or the #2 or 3 QB prospect than the #4 prospect on our board.

I don’t value extra picks the way I used to a decade or two ago. I’ve found that the value of the pick usually means more than the volume of your picks.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ok, but you’re not getting your choice of the best. I’d rather have the #1 or 2 WR or OG prospect on our board or the #2 or 3 QB prospect than the #4 prospect on our board.

I don’t value extra picks the way I used to a decade or two ago. I’ve found that the value of the pick usually means more than the volume of your picks.

Not if you have good scouting and people good at picking undervalued talent. 

19 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Not if you have good scouting and people good at picking undervalued talent. 

That only matters to a certain extent when you're passing on top talent for good, mediocre or worse talent rounds later.

We have perfect examples in our history from 2008 & 2011 when we trade down and passed on better talent.

I love Kerrigan but passing on JJ Watt wasn't wise.

We could have taken Watt and had a 3-4 DE rotation of Bowen, Carriker & Watt. 

Lorenzo Alexander could have started at 3-4 LOLB or we could have drafted an OLB in round 2 like Brooks Reed or in round 3 or signed a FA to compete w/ Zo.

Motto of the story is... Don't pass on talent.

The Browns did that for years too. They passed on Julio Jones & Carson Wentz this decade and got, Phil Taylor, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, Justin Gilbert, and I think Corey Coleman instead; how’d that work out?  

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That only matters to a certain extent when you're passing on top talent for good, mediocre or worse talent rounds later.

We have perfect examples in our history from 2008 & 2011 when we trade down and passed on better talent.

Lorenzo Alexander could have started at 3-4 LOLB or we could have drafted an OLB in round 2 like Brooks Reed or in round 3 or signed a FA to compete w/ Zo.

Motto of the story is... Don't pass on talent.

The Browns did that for years too. They passed on Julio Jones & Carson Wentz this decade and got, Phil Taylor, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, Justin Gilbert, and I think Corey Coleman instead; how’d that work out?  

Worked out fine for Us! Kerrigan has been a All Pro and hasn't been banged up like Watt. As I said it can work out fine if done properly. If they were to pass on talent like Burns, Ferrell, Sweatz, and still get AJ Brown, Deandre Baker, or Greedy Williams I'm fine with that. Or to pass on Haskins or Lock and still get Daniel Jones I'm good with that as well. 

15 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Worked out fine for Us! Kerrigan has been a All Pro and hasn't been banged up like Watt. As I said it can work out fine if done properly. If they were to pass on talent like Burns, Ferrell, Sweatz, and still get AJ Brown, Deandre Baker, or Greedy Williams I'm fine with that. Or to pass on Haskins or Lock and still get Daniel Jones I'm good with that as well. 

Kerrigan is a good pass rusher, he's not elite. He's been a pro bowler but never an All-Pro, Dan Snyder has never had an All-Pro on his roster.

JJ Watt has led the NFL several times in sacks from what is essentially a DT position, almost unheard of. He’s a defensive player of the year candidate type player.

I'd rather have a good to elite talent at OLB/DE rather those other guys but I know most fans still believe that it's very likely  to get a late first round pick who’s good but won't likely ever be elite and a 2nd round pick who we hope just becomes a good starter.

People are going to believe what they want but that’s what I’ve seen historically when trading down.

38 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Kerrigan is a good pass rusher, he's not elite. He's been a pro bowler but never an All-Pro, Dan Snyder has never had an All-Pro on his roster.

JJ Watt has led the NFL several times in sacks from what is essentially a DT position, almost unheard of. He’s a defensive player of the year candidate type player.

I'd rather have a good to elite talent at OLB/DE rather those other guys but I know most fans still believe that it's very likely  to get a late first round pick who’s good but won't likely ever be elite and a 2nd round pick who we hope just becomes a good starter.

People are going to believe what they want but that’s what I’ve seen historically when trading down.

Dude its also proven you could get two Pro Bowl players in both rounds. **** Tom Brady was a 6th round pick! Agree to Disagree. It's also Proven Dan Synder doesn't know **** about Winning in Football!!

Edited by Skins212689

I always remind myself the 49ers got Jerry rice because they didn’t want to give up a 3rd instead of a 5th to move up with the bengals!!! And I love Kerrigan but JJ would have been amazing!!!! If there’s a beast sitting there you take him. If there’s not trade back. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Dude its also proven you could get two Pro Bowl players in both rounds. **** Tom Brady was a 6th round pick! Agree to Disagree. It's also Proven Dan Synder doesn't know **** about Winning in Football!!

One 6th round pick in 20 years is proof that it happens? I think that proves it’s highly unlikely. 

Edited by turtle28

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

hat only matters to a certain extent when you're passing on top talent for good, mediocre or worse talent rounds later.

One more time: J. J. Watt was never the target for Washington. He didn't become J. J. FREAKIN' WATT until after entered the league. He was projected as a top 20 prospect that Houston knocked out out of the park. The guy that Washington wanted was Robert Quinn. They traded down figuring that the teams in between wouldn't go for him, not figuring that the Rams would spend another first round pick on a pass rusher.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woz said:

One more time: J. J. Watt was never the target for Washington. He didn't become J. J. FREAKIN' WATT until after entered the league. He was projected as a top 20 prospect that Houston knocked out out of the park. The guy that Washington wanted was Robert Quinn. They traded down figuring that the teams in between wouldn't go for him, not figuring that the Rams would spend another first round pick on a pass rusher.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't have been. 

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Trent Williams was an all pro.

not defending dan tho!