Falcons sign DT Ra'Shede Hageman after two years out of the league

TheKillerNacho

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027109/article/falcons-resign-dt-rashede-hageman-to-oneyear-deal

Hageman was a second-round pick of the Falcons in 2014 and appeared in 44 games, making 16 starts, for the team. Legal troubles mounted. That in addition to subpar play left Hageman out of the league for the last two seasons. The Falcons will give him a second chance to compete for an interior line gig.

Hardly ever see teams give an opportunity to a guy after two seasons of being out of the league, but the Falcons hope their former 2nd round pick stayed in shape as he overcame his legal issues. Not a bad flying on a one-year deal - he's still only 28. If he doesn't make the team, no harm done.

It's funny because someone mentioned Hageman in the Tyeler Davison thread and I thought he'd never resurface but here we are...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I said he was the next Suh. Oops.

He could have been he had the talent to be but he is the type of guy i hate the most in the draft.  Tremendous upside but lack of effort and care for the game which makes him hugely inconsistent and that means he only comes to play maybe 25% of the snaps a game and in the trenches that means you might make 1 or 2 plays a game thats solid and only 1 good splash play every 3 or 4 games. 

This is the exact same problem i have with Rashaan Gary he is the Hageman of this draft to me and i don't want him at 14 for that reason.   These type of players piss me off more than any other guy.  I even prefer people who give max effort every snap but has some off field issues over guys that could care less most the time they are on the field and just think they are good enough with what they have to beat anyone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027109/article/falcons-resign-dt-rashede-hageman-to-oneyear-deal

Hardly ever see teams give an opportunity to a guy after two seasons of being out of the league, but the Falcons hope their former 2nd round pick stayed in shape as he overcame his legal issues. Not a bad flying on a one-year deal - he's still only 28. If he doesn't make the team, no harm done.

It's funny because someone mentioned Hageman in the Tyeler Davison thread and I thought he'd never resurface but here we are...

It was DutchFalcon and me that talked about him.  Me saying i would rather have Davison and him wanting Hageman.  Although i said i would still take Hageman but would prefer Davison and we got both players so works out in the end.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

It was DutchFalcon and me that talked about him.  Me saying i would rather have Davison and him wanting Hageman.  Although i said i would still take Hageman but would prefer Davison and we got both players so works out in the end.

Yes, I'm a ducking wizard for being right.

The reason I love that they have brought Hageman back is his potential. Dude is a beast of a man. He's had an inconsistent motor but once it was on it was on and he'd dominate olineman in a way that few dlineman can. Also you could tell that near the end of the 2016 season he really started to get it together on the field.  

This could be a total wash of a signing if he had spend the past two years getting fat, drunk and/or high. If however he took care of his body and is actually motivated to dominate then this could be the best signing for the Falcons this off-season. 

Also I completely agree with you on Gary. I wouldn't think about touching him before the third.

9 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

He could have been he had the talent to be but he is the type of guy i hate the most in the draft.  Tremendous upside but lack of effort and care for the game which makes him hugely inconsistent and that means he only comes to play maybe 25% of the snaps a game and in the trenches that means you might make 1 or 2 plays a game thats solid and only 1 good splash play every 3 or 4 games. 

This is the exact same problem i have with Rashaan Gary he is the Hageman of this draft to me and i don't want him at 14 for that reason.   These type of players piss me off more than any other guy.  I even prefer people who give max effort every snap but has some off field issues over guys that could care less most the time they are on the field and just think they are good enough with what they have to beat anyone.

He had so much jarring power but also had excellent quickness and was able to elude blockers despite being a big dude. I was shocked he flamed out.

I remember him vividly. I used to post in other forums and he was quite the lightning rod. Only one year of production, converted TE, questionable technique. I saw bust written all over him, at least as a first rounder and thought he would underachieve more than anything. Sad to hear about the legal issues, didn't know about those. Hope he can lock down a rotational spot. He was pretty good against the run from what I remember of his scouting report.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

In top 5 of my personal all time misses. I thought Hageman was destined for stardom. 

If he gets his head on straight and just puts in the work we all put in on an average working week then he's going to redeem himself. Dude is a BEAST when he's "on".

If he really stayed in shape as you would expect an athletic DL to be while being out of the league that long, that is a positive note to begin with. He wasn't getting a trainer from his team to track his weights and workouts or anything, he at least in that aspect, seems to have been taking his career seriously. Maybe this is a 2nd chance that is taken advantage of. If so the Falcons might REALLY reap some reward for this. If not then they lose nothing. Good move by them.