2017 Predictions

big9erfan

4-12 Season 

Hyde stays healthy and gets 1400 yards and 12 tds

Foster wins defensive rookie of the year 

Thomas starts off slowing by end of the year playing well 

Garcon in top 5 of receiving yards 

By week 4 we are all arguing about which qb we need to draft  

I will give this a shot. I am finding that I am pretty optimistic in this team. Maybe it is more the competence of the staff a well as the young talent?

- The 49ers will be the media darling in 2018 after a surprising 2017 campaign.

- Hoyer will play 12 games. Bethard will play the final 4 after injury and the team will not lose a step. This will toss his name into the hat as a true option for the team at QB and will further convolute the position.

- Over the 12 games, Hoyer will throw 20 TD's and 8 INTS's making him an option as well going forward. Yardage should be around 3200.

- Carlos Hyde will miss half of the season

- Marquise Goodwin will go to the Pro Bowl......as an alternate with 1200 yards and 6 TDs

- Bowman will lead the league in tackles and still be disrespected by all of the media.

- George Kittle will have 700 yards and 4 TD's

- Eric Reid will have 3 pick sixes.........something he is allergic to.

- Rashard Robinson will grade out as a top 10 CB at season's end

- The defensive line will be the best in the NFL.......against the run

- Elvis Dumerville will have 7 sacks

- Tim Ryan will lose his job as the color analyst for the 49ers radio broadcast after screaming into the mic for Pete Carroll to eat a bag of D's after the 49ers upset Seattle.

Final Record

8-8

Wins against

Carolina(h), Rams(H), Washington(R), Arizona(H), Seattle(H)(Bag of D's game), Chicago(R), Jaguars(H), Rams(R)

31 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I will give this a shot. I am finding that I am pretty optimistic in this team. Maybe it is more the competence of the staff a well as the young talent?

- Hoyer will play 12 games. Bethard will play the final 4 after injury and the team will not lose a step. This will toss his name into the hat as a true option for the team at QB and will further convolute the position.

- Over the 12 games, Hoyer will throw 20 TD's and 8 INTS's making him an option as well going forward. Yardage should be around 3200.

- Marquise Goodwin will go to the Pro Bowl......as an alternate with 1200 yards and 6 TDs

- Bowman will lead the league in tackles and still be disrespected by all of the media.

- Tim Ryan will lose his job as the color analyst for the 49ers radio broadcast after screaming into the mic for Pete Carroll to eat a bag of D's after the 49ers upset Seattle.

Final Record

8-8

Wins against

Carolina(h), Rams(H), Washington(R), Arizona(H), Seattle(H)(Bag of D's game), Chicago(R), Jaguars(H), Rams(R)

These are some pretty optimistic predictions. You know, except for the one for Hyde lol. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

These are some pretty optimistic predictions. You know, except for the one for Hyde lol. 

Realistically, low end 5 wins high end would be 8. The reality of it is that both Rams games are winnable. The second Seattle game is winnable based on the bye week and the Monday nighter leading into it for Seattle. I am not afraid of the Bears, Jags or Colts for that matter fi they do not have Luck. I feel like they can steal a couple games, those being Carolina and Washington and I would hope they could get one from Arizona, but that would be tough.

Thing is, none of those teams are afraid of the Niners either.

53 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Final Record

8-8

Wins against

Love it Clark.  Let's hope all these come true.

Just now, clarkfn2284 said:

Realistically, low end 5 wins high end would be 8. The reality of it is that both Rams games are winnable. The second Seattle game is winnable based on the bye week and the Monday nighter leading into it for Seattle. I am not afraid of the Bears, Jags or Colts for that matter fi they do not have Luck. I feel like they can steal a couple games, those being Carolina and Washington and I would hope they could get one from Arizona, but that would be tough.

Thing is, none of those teams are afraid of the Niners either.

I see a lot of people saying that Seattle game is winnable...dont see that at all. They are just way more talented than us, I personally feel. The bye week and their short week won't make up for that in my opinion. Obviously there's always a chance, but apparently I view it as much smaller than quite a few people as I've seen that prediction made a few times. 

I think the low end is 3 wins, and if everything broke right, topping out at 6 (LA x2, Chi, Jax, Indy, Arizona), but I Think 3-5 is more likely. Split with LAR, Chi, Jax, AZ. Really depends on other teams though too. Does Luck come back. Does Jax get any sort of reasonably okay quarterback play? Is the coaching change from Fisher to McVay great enough that the Rams look like a much better team? etc. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I see a lot of people saying that Seattle game is winnable...dont see that at all. They are just way more talented than us, I personally feel. The bye week and their short week won't make up for that in my opinion. Obviously there's always a chance, but apparently I view it as much smaller than quite a few people as I've seen that prediction made a few times. 

I think the low end is 3 wins, and if everything broke right, topping out at 6 (LA x2, Chi, Jax, Indy, Arizona), but I Think 3-5 is more likely. Split with LAR, Chi, Jax, AZ. Really depends on other teams though too. Does Luck come back. Does Jax get any sort of reasonably okay quarterback play? Is the coaching change from Fisher to McVay great enough that the Rams look like a much better team? etc. 

I think that the eternal optimist in me sees the bye week as more of an advantage then it really is. Seattle is supremely more talented then the Niners at this point, but I have faith in Shanny with an extra week to gameplan. Plus he has put together plans in the past that have proven to be good against Seattle. That being said, it was with Julio and Ryan and Freeman etc. At the end of the day you can scheme it up all you want, but the players still have to execute and have talent.

I just don't see how this team only wins 1 more game than last season with the massive upgrade in the coaching staff. I feel like the staff is good for at least 2 wins. If I am going off of what we have seen so far and where we are with players in/out/holding out I like the odds of sweeping LA (Donald is holding, sounds like it is going to be for a while, but we will see once game checks stop coming in) and I like the odds against the Colts with no Luck.

However, I could see 5 wins max. I just think this team is going to be worlds better when it comes to preparation and scheme that they will be better then a 3, 4 or 5 win team.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm shocked that Donald is still holding out at this point. I figured that he would be back by now. Little surprised that story hasn't gotten more pub at this point. That's a huge loss. 

Yeah, I get it from his perspective. He is that defense. Without him they are going to struggle big time. I would imagine it will start to get some run now that we are entering the regular season and the Elliott drama is wrapping up. The guy is the most dominant defensive player in the league.

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm shocked that Donald is still holding out at this point. I figured that he would be back by now. Little surprised that story hasn't gotten more pub at this point. That's a huge loss. 

I get he's a star and one hell of a player but it really irks me when guys don't honor the contract hey sign, in Donald's case his rookie contract at that. He's still young and has plenty of years ahead of him yet two years before his rookie contract is done wants to renegotiate and get paid top dollar? Atleast finish your rookie contract man, you'll get paid deservedly so next offseason or after they pick up your 5th year option which escalates in pay decently if I'm not mistaken. Now the Rams have renogotiated with two years left before so they've somewhat brought this on themselves when their best player wants in on it too but still. Something about not honoring the contract you signed has always bothered me.

10 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I get he's a star and one hell of a player but it really irks me when guys don't honor the contract hey sign, in Donald's case his rookie contract at that. He's still young and has plenty of years ahead of him yet two years before his rookie contract is done wants to renegotiate and get paid top dollar? Atleast finish your rookie contract man, you'll get paid deservedly so next offseason or after they pick up your 5th year option which escalates in pay decently if I'm not mistaken. Now the Rams have renogotiated with two years left before so they've somewhat brought this on themselves when their best player wants in on it too but still. Something about not honoring the contract you signed has always bothered me.

When players live in a world where they are not thrown away by ownership and only receive their guaranteed money this may change. Then again, I do not know anybody in the player's union that hates their ability to hold out for more money whenever they want.

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'm the opposite, I love when guys holdout...but really only if it works. Its a game of poker and I respect them more when they win the hand with a big pot, even if its for non big star guys like Donald Penn, or Kam Chancellor. Despite what it looks like they're the underdog against these franchises when it comes to payment. Everytime a player creates more leverage for himself or works to a bigger piece of the pie they help all the players. Rookies almost have more of a case because they are still underpaid compared to how some rookies were in the past CBA. When these guys put their body on the line like they do, they should be required to fulfill an entire length of a contract without at least negotiating for a new deal where you are paid what a DPOY candidate should be paid not the minimum. If NFL teams dont have to honor contracts through the entire agreed terms then why should the employee who has exceeded his worth. 

13 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

I disagree with this. Donald signed the contract, but he didn't have a choice in salary or dollar amounts. He's the 14th highest paid player on that team alone, which is insane. Tavon Austin is almost literally making 5x more than he is. And yeah, it'll jump next year to the point where he's the 9th highest paid player on the team (so long as the Rams don't add anyone at more than $6 million per year). Overall, he's the 45th-highest paid defensive linemen in the league, which is ludicrous, given that he's probably 2nd only to Watt. Next year's team option bumps him up to 27th. In both years, he makes less than Myles Garrett, and he doesn't have a choice other than play or not play. 

Under the old rookie contracts, I'd have agreed. I'll agree that vets who negotiated their contract should honor them.  But the rookie players, especially mid-to-late first round picks, really get screwed by teams with the new CBA. They get the first 5 years of a player's career at a relative pittance if the player becomes a star. And it ruins the player's chance at the biggest money deal. Donald could be 28 before he's able to negotiate his first contract. And then the other teams have to question how long the player could reasonably be effective. If Donald plays and gets a serious injury that takes him out, he'll have never made anywhere near his worth. 

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I disagree with this. Donald signed the contract, but he didn't have a choice in salary or dollar amounts. He's the 14th highest paid player on that team alone, which is insane. Tavon Austin is almost literally making 5x more than he is. And yeah, it'll jump next year to the point where he's the 9th highest paid player on the team (so long as the Rams don't add anyone at more than $6 million per year). Overall, he's the 45th-highest paid defensive linemen in the league, which is ludicrous, given that he's probably 2nd only to Watt. Next year's team option bumps him up to 27th. In both years, he makes less than Myles Garrett, and he doesn't have a choice other than play or not play. 

Under the old rookie contracts, I'd have agreed. I'll agree that vets who negotiated their contract should honor them.  But the rookie players, especially mid-to-late first round picks, really get screwed by teams with the new CBA. They get the first 5 years of a player's career at a relative pittance if the player becomes a star. And it ruins the player's chance at the biggest money deal. Donald could be 28 before he's able to negotiate his first contract. And then the other teams have to question how long the player could reasonably be effective. If Donald plays and gets a serious injury that takes him out, he'll have never made anywhere near his worth. 

And I get that rookies don't have too much say in their initial contract signed but that's because they are rookies!! Haha. How many of them actually pan out? How many greats have played through their rookie contract and honored it trusting the process and knowing that they'll be taken care of when their rookie contract is up? I understand Donald's price tag is not equivelant to the value of his team but again, that cause he's on his rookie contract! He'll get paid no doubt, but right now he's hurting his teams chances of actually righting the ship and turning that franchise around cause he's feeling disrespected by his rookie contract as if he's the only player in the NFL who ever had to play through one? 

17 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

When players live in a world where they are not thrown away by ownership and only receive their guaranteed money this may change. Then again, I do not know anybody in the player's union that hates their ability to hold out for more money whenever they want.

This seems cruel and very business like by NFL franchises and it's very much true. But  it's true for more in life than just NFL players. I'm not really going to feel bad for these guys who make millions for playing a game, were given a free education through college amongst many other priveledges that they received and still receive through out the way. In some form or another I'm almost certain many of you have been through something similar, only for way less money. As far as the guaranteed money thing goes that falls on the shoulders of the NFLPA and the players in today's game. There's nothing in the NBA or MLB that says players contracts must be guaranteed, they made it that way to where now it is expected. Now I understand injuries are far more common in the game of football so franchises are going to want to protect themselves in some way and that's fine but players don't have to sign contracts with the big number and lower guaranteed money. Steps could be made to addressing this problem, for QBs it already has to an extent with 92 of Matt Staffords 135 million dollar contract is guaranteed. OBJ has said multiple times now he's going to reset the market for WRs wanting to be the highest paid player and make sure he gets his guaranteed money. Le'veon Bell refused to sign his contract offer by the Steelers and instead sign his 12 mil guaranteed tag. Kirk Cousins as we well know has now been paid over 50 mil in 2 years by betting on himself and signing the tag. But notice, these are all players who's contracts have expired and it is time for them to sign a new one. At some point this generation needs to honor their word and see something out to the end. Donald copping a fit as if he's the only guy on a rookie contract who been underpaid is ridiculous. I'm a part of this generation and we are extremely soft as a whole and complain a whole lot when things aren't fair, cop an attitude as entitled, arrogant people like we are the only ones ever who have been wronged. I hate seeing it in today's world and it's tough seeing it in the NFL. These guys don't honor their word or feel they have to and actually place very little value in doing so.

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

And I get that rookies don't have too much say in their initial contract signed but that's because they are rookies!! Haha. How many of them actually pan out? How many greats have played through their rookie contract and honored it trusting the process and knowing that they'll be taken care of when their rookie contract is up? I understand Donald's price tag is not equivelant to the value of his team but again, that cause he's on his rookie contract! He'll get paid no doubt, but right now he's hurting his teams chances of actually righting the ship and turning that franchise around cause he's feeling disrespected by his rookie contract as if he's the only player in the NFL who ever had to play through one?

Hurting his team's chances is his only leverage. Honoring a rookie contract that they had no financial control over or control of the length is kind of a crazy thing to ask of someone. 

And there is doubt that he'll get paid. How much is Dominique Easley going to get paid? Sharrif Floyd? Donald is one crazy slip on the turf or awkward hit away from never earning another cent from the NFL. So it behooves him to get a deal done now. His value is not going to grow. 

Archived