(Name 'Em) 2019 Overrated, Underrated, & Avoid 'Em Prospects

Mind Character

Under, under, UNDER!

- Khalen Saunders: seen him very low on some mock drafts, but I say he's pretty rare. Short, but heavy and VERY explosive. Might be a demon in the middle

- Justin Hollins: NFL has him as priority free agent, but I think he'll be drafted from 5-7. Shown nothing but upward trajectory, good athlete, quick get-off and can drop in coverage 

- Anthony Nelson: Can't bend or get off many blocks but good athlete, elite size and length, very strong, good program there. Think he'll make a decent Edge.

- Nick Easley: Leader, shift slot, athletic. We'd love him.

- Alex Barnes: Freaky athlete, good size, can catch, good vision - why is he not higher on RB boards?

Over over over!

- Kaleb McGary: Seen him going before better tackles. Should be 2nd round max

- DK Metcalf: I don't think NFL teams will be as high on him as 'fans' given he doesn't operate that well in the business areas of the field (over the middle)

- Chase Winovich: Just doesn't wow on tape. Is getting a lot of high 2nd or even late 1st buzz but he's pretty military-medium on tape. He gets bottled up so easily. Classic dogged-mind but lacking physical ability player. He will not give up and he's a monster (in his mind), but some average long tackle WILL just tie him up.

- Greedy Williams: Just not as good as Murphy or Baker, for me, but is usually the first CB off the board.

- Irv Smith: Why is he TE3? Knox, Oliver and Stern should be above him. I'd even be more excited about Warring

Avoid

- Not really sure, but NFL teams seem to be wary of Gary and Polite. 

• Like 1

Underrated:

QB Kyle Shurmur
(He's a great leader that has shown excellent accuracy at all levels of the field. Played with zero help in a brutal conference and still produced. He has the typical traits of an elite backup QB. Reminds me of Andy Dalton.)

QB Eric Dungey
(He's an incredibly tough and talented kid. Probably not a QB in the NFL and will be more of a gadget player, but this kid is tough as nails, runs hard, and has shown flashes as a passer. Accuracy issues will forever be an issue, so he's probably a big WR or an H-Back in the pros, but I love his demeanor.)

RB Qadree Ollison
(Surprisingly well-rounded skill set. Looks like a pure power back at first glance, but he's got excellent vision, elite balance, run and pass blocks, and has the ability to make people miss with ease in the secondary. Only concern is he runs a little high. My pro comp would be Arian Foster.)

RB Darrin Hall
(Another Pittsburgh RB. Runs with violence, vision, and balance. Has good hands as a pass catcher. Good pass blocker. Shocked me with his testing numbers at the combine as I thought Ollison looked faster on tape. He'll eat quite a few carries in the NFL methinks.)

RB Matt Colburn
(Great scatback player. He's an excellent receiver out of the backfield and is as shifty as they come. He's not overly twitchy, but he seems to make guys miss at a very high rate. Also has the ability to lower the shoulder on 3rd & Short and pick up tough yards.)

FB George Aston
(My 3rd highest rated player in the draft, as I don't factor in positional importance. There is nothing more you could want from the FB position. He catches, he runs, and he is an elite lead blocker. Has shown some H-TE versatility, but height probably keeps him in the backfield 99% of the time.)

WR Diontae Johnson
(Explosive. Nightmare in the open field that just looks so much faster than everyone else. He's got a muscled up frame. He runs sharp routes but is even better at ripping the top off of the defense. Has Mossed several DB's that were much bigger than him. Just a stud. Reminds me of Antonio Brown. BTW, I was 1st on Diontae!)

WR Jon'Vea Johnson
(Similar to Diontae. I love his ability to attack teams vertically. He's not as sudden as Diontae in space, but it's still a strength he possesses. He can run a full route tree. I don't have he and Diontae's grades very far apart and I expect Jon'Vea to be a high end #2.)

WR Cody Thompson
(The 3rd Toledo Rocket WR. Good size, surprising vertical speed, but his best attribute is his route running. He's very sudden and slippery with great RAC ability. Ideal slot WR in the mold of a Cooper Kupp. Brady faps to this guy.)

WR Hunter Renfrow
(A perfect slot WR. I know he has small hands and isn't overly fast nor big, but the dude just produces against all levels of competition. He's going to outperform his draft status for sure and end up becoming one of the most feared slot WR's in the league. He just knows how to get open.)

WR Johnnie Dixon
(He won't be a starting WR, but he's perfect to bring in and run gadget plays with or send vertically down the seam. He doesn't have bad hands but his catch radius isn't impressive. He reminds me of Jacoby Ford with more consistent hands and more route running polish.)

TE Matt Sokol
(Just does everything solid. Good blocker, good pass catcher, great at settling into holes in the zone defense. Nothing flashy about him, but the dude will have a nice career as a #2 TE. Old school TE traits that are still desired, just harder to find these days.)

TE Josh Oliver
(A physically excellent TE. Terrible as a blocker despite giving effort in that area, so I have hope it could develop. He has alarming body control for a dude of his size and can run away from most NFL LB's and Safeties. Poor man's Gronk in the passing game but nowhere near his level as a blocker.)

LT Mitch Hyatt
(This dude was considered a future top 10 pick after his amazing Freshman season. He's still an awesome pass blocker that hasn't gotten a lot of pub. Very average for a college player in the run game, but still has a future as a long-term blindside protector.)

OG Javon Patterson
(Has a great grade from me. I have an early 2nd round grade on him, yet I never see his name come up in OL discussions. He has great physical gifts and the tape is good as well. Want him to be more punishing and mean in the run game, but I think that will come.)

OG Phil Haynes
(Definitely not 1st on the Phil Haynes train, but he's really good. Powerfully built with jarring power. Mugs opposing defensive tackles into oblivion and has the movement skills to play in a ZBS. Definitely scheme versatile. Ok as a pass protector, but his athletic traits and footwork would suggest probable improvement.)

OG Martez Ivey
(I know he's flawed, but he has a ton of physical talent that I'm not ready to give up on quite yet. Sure he's incredibly raw and inefficient right now. I am not willing to ignore the upside yet, as I simply have a hunch he will put it together in the NFL. More of a feel thing than something I can explain...terrible analysis I know!)

RT Dalton Risner
(He has been shooting up draft boards and more people have taken notice, but his tape is excellent. He's nasty and strong but mauling guys in the run game isn't even his best attribute. He's an awesome pass blocker from a technical standpoint. Wish he was more athletic, but he's still a great OL prospect.)

RT Lukayus McNeil
(Powerful OT prospect who can move. Inconsistent tape, but he's a guy that I see going from undrafted to an NFL starter in no-time. Mauls guys in the run game, but is not simply a mauler. He has the feet to hold up in pass protection if you can develop his technique and lazy footwork.)

DE Joe Jackson
(Simply put, my biggest defensive steal this year. The dude was excellent every year at Miami. Plays hard and physical, has relentless pursuit to the QB, and doesn't let anything spill out to his edge in the run or pass game. Went from a skinny finesse rusher to a powerful bulk rusher in 2 year's time; probably needs to slim back down to become an elite rusher honestly.)

DE Jachai Polite
(Didn't think I would be on the underrated bandwagon, but people are killing him too hard for his NFL combine numbers. The tape suggests he's a violent and tenacious edge defender with incredible burst off the edge. If you watch the tape and ignore the 40 you see he has literally 0 problems with athleticism.)

DE Anthony Nelson
(As others have already stated, the dude is awesome at his craft. He's not a slippery Myles Garrett kind of finesse rusher, but he gets consistent pressure on the QB. He's more athletic than people give him credit for and is a stout bull in the run game. He's a more developed Carl Nassib.)

DE John Cominsky
(Powerful DE that bull rushes his way into opposing backfields. He might not be elite right now, but his rapid improvement had led me to believe that he ends up starting for somebody eventually. Tenacious and violent player who loves the weight room.)

DT Ed Oliver
(Not really underrated, but I still think he's the top player in this draft class. That seems to be a fleeting opinion nowadays.)

DT Ricky Walker
(Very good interior pass rusher for Virginia Tech. Was constantly annoying, considering I hate VT with a passion. I don't think he has great upside or anything, but he has a role as an irritating interior pass rusher in a DL rotation. Seems like a New England kind of guy.)

DT Greg Gaines
(Not sure why he gets no love. He's the best run stopping DT that can be had outside of the 1st round. I gave him a 1st round grade, but I understand that he's limited as a pass rusher. His ability to stack blockers and run them right into the RB is unparallelled, even in this stacked DL class. Elite run stopper.)

OLB Jamal Davis II
(I have him as an OLB in the NFL as I don't think he has the length to play DE. He's faster than shiz and has stopping power as a tackler. Violent player with high end ability as a pass rusher. If you miss on Josh Allen, Jamal Davis is Allen-lite. They both win in similar ways and have high upsides.)

OLB Ulysses Gilbert
(Gilbert is a more traditional linebacker. He has crazy speed and explosiveness but is built more like a strong safety. He makes a ton of tackles and runs to the football like a maniac. He reminds me of Tennessee Titans ILB Jayon Brown or if you're really high on him like I am, former Carolina Panthers LB Thomas Davis.)

OLB Dakota Allen
(He's got flaws and character concerns, but the dude was excellent as a pass coverage player throughout his career. Excellent at manning up backs and TE's or settling in zones and snatching up any crossers or dig routes. Not a great run defender and probably more of a nickel linebacker, but that's fine in today's NFL.)

DE/OLB Sutton Smith
(I don't know where to play this kid. He's way too small to play DE consistently, but man does he know how to find the QB and harass him. He's probably the most consistent pass rusher in this draft despite having close to no physical tools. I can't explain this one, but I think his QB pressures will translate despite his frame and athleticism.)

DE/OLB Porter Gustin
(Powerful bull that moves around better than most think. Weight room warrior that plays hard on every snap and was relentless in his pursuit of the QB. Still has a lot of untapped potential. He's also pretty stiff around the edge, but I think he has a role as a bull in a china shop coming off the edge for somebody.)

OLB Terrill Hanks
(He has everything you need when looking for an OLB. Ignore his combine and watch the tape. He ran a horrible 40 time, but the dude is not slow at all. He's got great speed, is excellent as a blitzer, doesn't miss tackles hardly ever, and is great in coverage. He reminds me of Telvin Smith from the Jaguars.)

ILB Khalil Hodge
(I still think he's going to be good despite that horrific 40 time. Unlike Hanks whose 40 was an anomaly, Hodge is legitimately that slow. That being said, he's an excellent in-the-box thumper that would excel blasting into OG's in a 3-4 scheme. If your interior run defense sucks, I'd look at adding Hodge and then spelling him out on 3rd downs.)

CB Nasir Adderley
(He can play any DB position, but as a Browns fan, I'm evaluating him at CB. Flawless movement skills, instincts, and tenacity. Adderley can high point the ball against anyone or fill an alley in the run game and lay somebody out. He's my #2 rated CB in this draft behind Deandre Baker, but Adderley's upside is higher. If he flames as a CB, he's a stud FS as well.)

CB Mark Fields
(Excellent athlete with a powerfully rocked up frame. Small little dude that will be relegated to the slot, but he has legitimate cover skills and is feisty against the run. Better up in your face in man than he is as an off defender. While limited because of his frame, he is not limited athletically and locked down some very good WR's in college.)

FS Marvell Tell
(Awesome ball skills and instincts. Seems to track the football well and while he doesn't have elite physical ability, it's good enough to get over the top of some really fast WR's. Not much of a run defender, but will be an excellent cover man for somebody. Reminds me of Tashaun Gipson from the Jags/Browns/wherever he's at now.)

SS Jaquan Johnson
(Super steal. He's great at baiting QB's into bad throws, he's a stud coming up and laying out ball carriers, and he's a true team leader and has been since his Freshman season. Tough as can be and coaches will love this dude. He doesn't make mistakes in coverage or when filling alleys. Injury concerns and less than ideal physical traits though.)

I'm tired. Here's a list of other safeties I really like that you should check out:

SS Jovonte Moffait
FS Chris Johnson
SS Marc McLaurin
SS Kiy Hester
FS Saquon Hampton
FS Marlon Bridges

Overrated:

DT Rashan Gary
(Boring tape. Doesn't ever flash dominant skill set. I know he has upside, but I have come away woefully unimpressed by everything he's done at Michigan. Stay away!)

CB Byron Murphy
(Scheme bails him out a ton. I don't trust Washington CB's at all to begin with and I think Murphy is lower than Jones or King were as prospects. He plays a ton of zone and it keeps him from being exposed as a below average athlete for the CB position. He's feisty, but lacks the ability to run in phase with WR's. He's strictly a zone CB and unworthy of a R1 selection.)

• Like 3

Underrated:

WR Miles Boykin
RB Justice Hill
OT Yodny Cajuste
CB Greedy Williams
DE Joe Jackson
DT Ed Oliver
WR DK Metcalf (Yes it's got to the point where people have him falling out of the 1st round because they've seen people who are good athletes bust a few times before and they're overthinking it, just settle the f* down)

Overrated:
WR Marquise Brown
TE TJ Hockenson
QB Dwayne Haskins
RB Josh Jacobs
WR Parris Campbell

Edited by Danger
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Underrated: David Long, Te'von Coney, Jerry Tillery, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Diontae Johnson, Chuma Edoga

Overrated: Jonathan Abram, Kaleb McGary, Rashan Gary, Montez Sweat, Noah Fant, Josh Jacobs

Oh, no! Why Abram? Love the dude and his ability.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bomont said:

No he isn't.  Makes highlight reel catches one play, drops an easy pass the next. No thank you

giphy.gif

I'll take him easily, the NFL is about playmakers, there is way more good than bad with Butler, there are plenty of guys working waiting tables who can catch 5 yard curls, but couldn't do anything else.

As far as mine:

Underrated

Porter Gustin - was looked at as a possible Edge - 1 going into the season, was playing really well then got hurt, he might pound for pound be the best value in this draft probably will go in the 3rd/4th and will be a stud

Dre'Mont Jones - great interior pass rusher, has really good technique, anticipation and was coached by the best DL coach in the country, if anyone has seen him recently, he is HUGE, will slide under the radar and be one of those why didn't I have him higher picks

Dexter Lawrence - If this guy comes into camp at a solid 325, he is going to be an absolute force inside, people who don't know football look for flash when the game is won on routine plays, he flashes but most importantly, he does the dirty work that makes a successful defense go. I can easily see him develop into an Akiem Hicks type of player.

LJ Scott - I just love his game and think it translates better to the NFL than it did in college, he can catch, has elite vision, just has to get himself together and protect the ball. Has some Arian Foster/Le'Veon Bell to his game

Overrated

Chase Winovich - For what you have to pay to get Winovich, you can get Gustin (who is bigger, stronger, and is a better overall athlete (outside 40)) for a lesser draft pick

Dalton Risner - I don't get the hype, he is definitely nasty and is a tough guy, but his feet are horrible and is strictly IOL IMO

Drew Lock - Was a fan of his arm talent until I realized he doesn't really go through any progressions and he is only good on go routes and anything deep, plus he doesn't know when to take a little mustard off the pitch

Brian Burns - I kinda like him as a player but him playing anything outside of a 3-4 will be setting him up for failure, he basically out-athleted guys who were 100lbs heavier, not sure he can do the same thing on the next level where guys will have elite technique as well as being elite athletically but 100lbs heavier

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

- Nick Easley: Leader, shift slot, athletic. We'd love him.

Over over over!

- Kaleb McGary: Seen him going before better tackles. Should be 2nd round max

I haven't watched Nick Easley. I'll check him out. I'm right there with you Kaleb McGary being overrated. I had him with an early 3rd round grade with mid to late 2nd round upside not close to the 1st round grade I see a lot of people put on him.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Underrated:

QB Kyle Shurmur
(He's a great leader that has shown excellent accuracy at all levels of the field. Played with zero help in a brutal conference and still produced. He has the typical traits of an elite backup QB. Reminds me of Andy Dalton.)

QB Eric Dungey
(He's an incredibly tough and talented kid. Probably not a QB in the NFL and will be more of a gadget player, but this kid is tough as nails, runs hard, and has shown flashes as a passer. Accuracy issues will forever be an issue, so he's probably a big WR or an H-Back in the pros, but I love his demeanor.)

RB Qadree Ollison
(Surprisingly well-rounded skill set. Looks like a pure power back at first glance, but he's got excellent vision, elite balance, run and pass blocks, and has the ability to make people miss with ease in the secondary. Only concern is he runs a little high. My pro comp would be Arian Foster.)

RB Darrin Hall
(Another Pittsburgh RB. Runs with violence, vision, and balance. Has good hands as a pass catcher. Good pass blocker. Shocked me with his testing numbers at the combine as I thought Ollison looked faster on tape. He'll eat quite a few carries in the NFL methinks.)

RB Matt Colburn
(Great scatback player. He's an excellent receiver out of the backfield and is as shifty as they come. He's not overly twitchy, but he seems to make guys miss at a very high rate. Also has the ability to lower the shoulder on 3rd & Short and pick up tough yards.)

FB George Aston
(My 3rd highest rated player in the draft, as I don't factor in positional importance. There is nothing more you could want from the FB position. He catches, he runs, and he is an elite lead blocker. Has shown some H-TE versatility, but height probably keeps him in the backfield 99% of the time.)

WR Diontae Johnson
(Explosive. Nightmare in the open field that just looks so much faster than everyone else. He's got a muscled up frame. He runs sharp routes but is even better at ripping the top off of the defense. Has Mossed several DB's that were much bigger than him. Just a stud. Reminds me of Antonio Brown. BTW, I was 1st on Diontae!)

WR Jon'Vea Johnson
(Similar to Diontae. I love his ability to attack teams vertically. He's not as sudden as Diontae in space, but it's still a strength he possesses. He can run a full route tree. I don't have he and Diontae's grades very far apart and I expect Jon'Vea to be a high end #2.)

WR Cody Thompson
(The 3rd Toledo Rocket WR. Good size, surprising vertical speed, but his best attribute is his route running. He's very sudden and slippery with great RAC ability. Ideal slot WR in the mold of a Cooper Kupp. Brady faps to this guy.)

WR Hunter Renfrow
(A perfect slot WR. I know he has small hands and isn't overly fast nor big, but the dude just produces against all levels of competition. He's going to outperform his draft status for sure and end up becoming one of the most feared slot WR's in the league. He just knows how to get open.)

WR Johnnie Dixon
(He won't be a starting WR, but he's perfect to bring in and run gadget plays with or send vertically down the seam. He doesn't have bad hands but his catch radius isn't impressive. He reminds me of Jacoby Ford with more consistent hands and more route running polish.)

TE Matt Sokol
(Just does everything solid. Good blocker, good pass catcher, great at settling into holes in the zone defense. Nothing flashy about him, but the dude will have a nice career as a #2 TE. Old school TE traits that are still desired, just harder to find these days.)

TE Josh Oliver
(A physically excellent TE. Terrible as a blocker despite giving effort in that area, so I have hope it could develop. He has alarming body control for a dude of his size and can run away from most NFL LB's and Safeties. Poor man's Gronk in the passing game but nowhere near his level as a blocker.)

LT Mitch Hyatt
(This dude was considered a future top 10 pick after his amazing Freshman season. He's still an awesome pass blocker that hasn't gotten a lot of pub. Very average for a college player in the run game, but still has a future as a long-term blindside protector.)

OG Javon Patterson
(Has a great grade from me. I have an early 2nd round grade on him, yet I never see his name come up in OL discussions. He has great physical gifts and the tape is good as well. Want him to be more punishing and mean in the run game, but I think that will come.)

OG Phil Haynes
(Definitely not 1st on the Phil Haynes train, but he's really good. Powerfully built with jarring power. Mugs opposing defensive tackles into oblivion and has the movement skills to play in a ZBS. Definitely scheme versatile. Ok as a pass protector, but his athletic traits and footwork would suggest probable improvement.)

OG Martez Ivey
(I know he's flawed, but he has a ton of physical talent that I'm not ready to give up on quite yet. Sure he's incredibly raw and inefficient right now. I am not willing to ignore the upside yet, as I simply have a hunch he will put it together in the NFL. More of a feel thing than something I can explain...terrible analysis I know!)

RT Dalton Risner
(He has been shooting up draft boards and more people have taken notice, but his tape is excellent. He's nasty and strong but mauling guys in the run game isn't even his best attribute. He's an awesome pass blocker from a technical standpoint. Wish he was more athletic, but he's still a great OL prospect.)

RT Lukayus McNeil
(Powerful OT prospect who can move. Inconsistent tape, but he's a guy that I see going from undrafted to an NFL starter in no-time. Mauls guys in the run game, but is not simply a mauler. He has the feet to hold up in pass protection if you can develop his technique and lazy footwork.)

DE Joe Jackson
(Simply put, my biggest defensive steal this year. The dude was excellent every year at Miami. Plays hard and physical, has relentless pursuit to the QB, and doesn't let anything spill out to his edge in the run or pass game. Went from a skinny finesse rusher to a powerful bulk rusher in 2 year's time; probably needs to slim back down to become an elite rusher honestly.)

DE Jachai Polite
(Didn't think I would be on the underrated bandwagon, but people are killing him too hard for his NFL combine numbers. The tape suggests he's a violent and tenacious edge defender with incredible burst off the edge. If you watch the tape and ignore the 40 you see he has literally 0 problems with athleticism.)

DE Anthony Nelson
(As others have already stated, the dude is awesome at his craft. He's not a slippery Myles Garrett kind of finesse rusher, but he gets consistent pressure on the QB. He's more athletic than people give him credit for and is a stout bull in the run game. He's a more developed Carl Nassib.)

DE John Cominsky
(Powerful DE that bull rushes his way into opposing backfields. He might not be elite right now, but his rapid improvement had led me to believe that he ends up starting for somebody eventually. Tenacious and violent player who loves the weight room.)

DT Ed Oliver
(Not really underrated, but I still think he's the top player in this draft class. That seems to be a fleeting opinion nowadays.)

DT Ricky Walker
(Very good interior pass rusher for Virginia Tech. Was constantly annoying, considering I hate VT with a passion. I don't think he has great upside or anything, but he has a role as an irritating interior pass rusher in a DL rotation. Seems like a New England kind of guy.)

DT Greg Gaines
(Not sure why he gets no love. He's the best run stopping DT that can be had outside of the 1st round. I gave him a 1st round grade, but I understand that he's limited as a pass rusher. His ability to stack blockers and run them right into the RB is unparallelled, even in this stacked DL class. Elite run stopper.)

OLB Jamal Davis II
(I have him as an OLB in the NFL as I don't think he has the length to play DE. He's faster than shiz and has stopping power as a tackler. Violent player with high end ability as a pass rusher. If you miss on Josh Allen, Jamal Davis is Allen-lite. They both win in similar ways and have high upsides.)

OLB Ulysses Gilbert
(Gilbert is a more traditional linebacker. He has crazy speed and explosiveness but is built more like a strong safety. He makes a ton of tackles and runs to the football like a maniac. He reminds me of Tennessee Titans ILB Jayon Brown or if you're really high on him like I am, former Carolina Panthers LB Thomas Davis.)

OLB Dakota Allen
(He's got flaws and character concerns, but the dude was excellent as a pass coverage player throughout his career. Excellent at manning up backs and TE's or settling in zones and snatching up any crossers or dig routes. Not a great run defender and probably more of a nickel linebacker, but that's fine in today's NFL.)

DE/OLB Sutton Smith
(I don't know where to play this kid. He's way too small to play DE consistently, but man does he know how to find the QB and harass him. He's probably the most consistent pass rusher in this draft despite having close to no physical tools. I can't explain this one, but I think his QB pressures will translate despite his frame and athleticism.)

DE/OLB Porter Gustin
(Powerful bull that moves around better than most think. Weight room warrior that plays hard on every snap and was relentless in his pursuit of the QB. Still has a lot of untapped potential. He's also pretty stiff around the edge, but I think he has a role as a bull in a china shop coming off the edge for somebody.)

OLB Terrill Hanks
(He has everything you need when looking for an OLB. Ignore his combine and watch the tape. He ran a horrible 40 time, but the dude is not slow at all. He's got great speed, is excellent as a blitzer, doesn't miss tackles hardly ever, and is great in coverage. He reminds me of Telvin Smith from the Jaguars.)

ILB Khalil Hodge
(I still think he's going to be good despite that horrific 40 time. Unlike Hanks whose 40 was an anomaly, Hodge is legitimately that slow. That being said, he's an excellent in-the-box thumper that would excel blasting into OG's in a 3-4 scheme. If your interior run defense sucks, I'd look at adding Hodge and then spelling him out on 3rd downs.)

CB Nasir Adderley
(He can play any DB position, but as a Browns fan, I'm evaluating him at CB. Flawless movement skills, instincts, and tenacity. Adderley can high point the ball against anyone or fill an alley in the run game and lay somebody out. He's my #2 rated CB in this draft behind Deandre Baker, but Adderley's upside is higher. If he flames as a CB, he's a stud FS as well.)

CB Mark Fields
(Excellent athlete with a powerfully rocked up frame. Small little dude that will be relegated to the slot, but he has legitimate cover skills and is feisty against the run. Better up in your face in man than he is as an off defender. While limited because of his frame, he is not limited athletically and locked down some very good WR's in college.)

FS Marvell Tell
(Awesome ball skills and instincts. Seems to track the football well and while he doesn't have elite physical ability, it's good enough to get over the top of some really fast WR's. Not much of a run defender, but will be an excellent cover man for somebody. Reminds me of Tashaun Gipson from the Jags/Browns/wherever he's at now.)

SS Jaquan Johnson
(Super steal. He's great at baiting QB's into bad throws, he's a stud coming up and laying out ball carriers, and he's a true team leader and has been since his Freshman season. Tough as can be and coaches will love this dude. He doesn't make mistakes in coverage or when filling alleys. Injury concerns and less than ideal physical traits though.)

I'm tired. Here's a list of other safeties I really like that you should check out:

SS Jovonte Moffait
FS Chris Johnson
SS Marc McLaurin
SS Kiy Hester
FS Saquon Hampton
FS Marlon Bridges

Overrated:

DT Rashan Gary
(Boring tape. Doesn't ever flash dominant skill set. I know he has upside, but I have come away woefully unimpressed by everything he's done at Michigan. Stay away!)

CB Byron Murphy
(Scheme bails him out a ton. I don't trust Washington CB's at all to begin with and I think Murphy is lower than Jones or King were as prospects. He plays a ton of zone and it keeps him from being exposed as a below average athlete for the CB position. He's feisty, but lacks the ability to run in phase with WR's. He's strictly a zone CB and unworthy of a R1 selection.)

Really excellent and highly informative post @BleedTheClock

I haven't heard of OG Javon Patterson, RT Lukayus McNeil, or SS Jovonte Moffait. Good stuff; I'll check them out for sure.

I've heard of but haven't watched RB Qadree Ollison, RB Darrin Hall, and RB Matt Colburn. Great insights and analysis on their play skill and traits that I'll keep in mind when I check them out.

Jon'Vea Johnson and Diontae Johnson are both going to be special contributors at the next level imo. Love their games. I go back and forth on who I think is going to be the better pro.

The only one I disagree with the evaluation on  is Marvell Tell in that I think he's a really bad Safety prospect. He's not quick mentally or sudden in his movements; his play personality suppresses his testing athleticism as his athleticism doesn't often show up on the field but from time to time when he cuts it loose.

I see Tell as a pro-bowl caliber CB-Convert prospect. He has the patient back peddle demeanor, long arms, can mirror match like an elite CB when I watched his Slot reps, and he has the hip fluidity and flexibility to flip and run with the best of them. I think he'll be special as a CB, and I hope teams see that b/c I think his skill is wasted as a FS.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Underrated:

RB Justice Hill

Overrated:
TE TJ Hockenson

Justice Hill is indeed surprisingly underrated. I wonder where he goes in the draft. Hockenson's glowing evaluations are just and due imo. I wonder what you think of his game, or is it you like but just not as a top 12 guy as people are discussing him as.

• Like 1

Just now, Mind Character said:

Justice Hill is indeed surprisingly underrated. I wonder where he goes in the draft. Hockenson's glowing evaluations are just and due imo. I wonder what you think of his game, or is it you like but just not as a top 12 guy as people are discussing him as.

There are two reasons I have Hockensen as overrated. 1. Positional value and 2. I prefer Fant.

On 4/21/2019 at 1:15 AM, Mind Character said:

Overrated:

1.) Justin Layne, CB Michigan St. -- He's a 4th round or later prospect imo and not close to being worth the 2nd or 3rd round pick many believe him to be.

There are a few prospects in this class over all others for which glowing impact starter quality evaluations of their play and 1st/2nd grades of them make absolutely no sense at all for me was. Justin Layne and Greedy Williams were two of those prospects for me. I forced myself to watch 5 other games to see if more games would add texture and nuanced understanding to the assessment of their skills in terms of its successful projection at the next level.

I don't get the love at all w/ Justin Layne as his testing athleticism doesn't translate to the football movement skill required for cornerback success b/c he's so consistently off balance, lacks the foot quickness/speed, lacks hip flexibility, and uncoordinated in press coverage transition movements from backpedal to plant drive foot to directional drive step. He looses his footing so many times or lags in his step response to the movement of the WR due to his knee and hip stiffness allowing WRs with horizontal quickness movement off the line to immediately beat him badly in unrecoverable ways. Struggling in press coverage takes away the value of his length. Transitioning to a pure zone CB is a difficult projection as he lacks awareness and vision.

I have so many CB rated above him such as .... 1.) Julian Love, 2.) Lonnie Johnson Jr., 3.) Amani Oruwariye, 4.) Byron Murphy, 5.) Deandre Baker, 6.) Trayvon Mullen, 7.) Rock Ya-Sin, 8.) Jamel Dean, 9.) Sean Bunting, 10.) Nik Needham, 11.) Joejuan Williams, 12.) Chris Westry and more

I have Layne getting picked late 2nd but could easily fall to the 3rd or 4th round.  Does not really matter where he is drafted as long as he gets in the right system that can use him.  For a tall corner he is great at press man coverage, has good ball skills and his reaction time to the football in the air is very good.  Did you watch him against Ohio State this year?  Hard to not be impressed with him after that game, he made a variety of solid plays in that game against good QB and a very deep group of WRs.

Sure he lacks elite speed but is more than a willing tackle for his skinny frame, still has room to grow and improve.  He is a solid corner prospect and has better ball skills than other long corner prospects in Xavier Crawford, Lonnie Johnson, Chris Westry and Davanta Davis.  Oruwariye has good ball skills as well being a 6-2 corner but I would say Layne has a little more upside than he does and is a little more quick to react in coverage with his hands.  

Is Layne getting a little more hype because of his size, sure he is and same could be said for Greedy Williams.  Greedy is another long tall corner and he has blazing speed and knows how to get the football.  Hard to not like corners who are ball hawks out there like Greedy and Greedy has done it for awhile now.  

I see you dislike Greedy as well, as a RS SOPH his upside is huge I think.  Is raw but so damn talented especially in terms of his ball skills early on and should only get better in time.  

• Like 2

My underrated list based on who I have above what I think is the consensus is on them:

• Hakeem Butler
  • Garrett Bradbury
  • Jerry Tillery 
  • Chris Lindstrom
  • David Montgomery
  • Deebo Samuel 
  • Christian Miller
  • Stanley Morgan
  • Connor McGovern
  • Sean Bunting
  • Phil Haynes
  • Michael Dogbe