Sign in to follow this  
DiehardBronxFan

I’ll be happy with the draft if...

20 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.

We draft 4 players that turn into starters on a team that wins the division in 3 years. 

34 minutes ago, OrangeNBlue86 said:

We draft 4 players that turn into starters on a team that wins the division in 3 years. 

Now it makes sense. If we get another rookie class like we did last year then the 3 year timetable, maybe two is reasonable.

We currently have 8 picks, if we end up making 8 picks then in some order I’d be looking to bolster the following positions:

QB: I’m not in the camp who thinks we must take a QB in round 1, although I’m open to it if there’s a guy Elway and Fangio think is a franchise QB, but I absolutely think we mustn’t go into the season with Kevin Hogan as the primary backup and should consider a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB if we pass on one in the earlier rounds. A Jarrett Stidham or Ryan Finley type pick wouldn’t surprise me.

WR: Emmanuel Sanders may be reaching the end of his career and that leaves us nothing behind Sutton and Hamilton.

TE or 2nd WR: Jeff Heuerman is pretty average and Jake Butt is always injured so if a TE is available early that we like then we’ll take him, if not then a double dip at WR is possible to push duds like River Cracraft off the roster

OG or C: This is the one position we absolutely must address in the first 3 rounds. Ron Leary is on his last legs and whilst I like Connor McGovern, he’s all we have at the interior OL that can be replied upon. After these two it’s just journeymen like Don Barclay, Sam Jones, Austin Schlotmann and Jake Brendel so a starter is needed. Ideally I want a C to allow McGovern to play Guard.

DL x2: We’ve never replaced Malik Jackson and could also use a big run stuffer.

OLB: Elway likes the 4 man pass rusher rotation. Jeff Holland is a good rotational option behind Miller and Chubb but we still need the 4th guy.

CB: Isaac Yiadom is a promising youngster but we need a depth/ST guy if Jackson is going to play some snaps at safety. 

Early rounds 1-3 priorities:

Interior OL

DE

WR/TE

Mid rounds 4-5 priorities:

QB

NT

Pass rusher

Late rounds 6-7 priorities:

WR

CB

50 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

We currently have 8 picks, if we end up making 8 picks then in some order I’d be looking to bolster the following positions:

QB: I’m not in the camp who thinks we must take a QB in round 1, although I’m open to it if there’s a guy Elway and Fangio think is a franchise QB, but I absolutely think we mustn’t go into the season with Kevin Hogan as the primary backup and should consider a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB if we pass on one in the earlier rounds. A Jarrett Stidham or Ryan Finley type pick wouldn’t surprise me.

WR: Emmanuel Sanders may be reaching the end of his career and that leaves us nothing behind Sutton and Hamilton.

TE or 2nd WR: Jeff Heuerman is pretty average and Jake Butt is always injured so if a TE is available early that we like then we’ll take him, if not then a double dip at WR is possible to push duds like River Cracraft off the roster

OG or C: This is the one position we absolutely must address in the first 3 rounds. Ron Leary is on his last legs and whilst I like Connor McGovern, he’s all we have at the interior OL that can be replied upon. After these two it’s just journeymen like Don Barclay, Sam Jones, Austin Schlotmann and Jake Brendel so a starter is needed. Ideally I want a C to allow McGovern to play Guard.

DL x2: We’ve never replaced Malik Jackson and could also use a big run stuffer.

OLB: Elway likes the 4 man pass rusher rotation. Jeff Holland is a good rotational option behind Miller and Chubb but we still need the 4th guy.

CB: Isaac Yiadom is a promising youngster but we need a depth/ST guy if Jackson is going to play some snaps at safety. 

Early rounds 1-3 priorities:

Interior OL

DE

WR/TE

Mid rounds 4-5 priorities:

QB

NT

Pass rusher

Late rounds 6-7 priorities:

WR

CB

Pretty much in agreement, but I’d say the Rusher/Edge can wait until the later rounds.  Also not sure I see us taking 2 DL. I expect, however, we’ll see an  inside LB taken at some point. 

Wonder what it would be life if the Broncos landed Jonah Williams and Bradbury? Crazy! 

I like Hockenson, but I love Fant. I have no clue what he brings to the table as a blocker but I think he is going to be impossible to defend in the passing game. How valuable is having our own version of Kelce? 

I'll be happy with the draft if we approach it as we did last year and go after high floor players with some high upside scattered in. I don't want to see Denver revert to overdrafting based on physical attributes and upside because that led precisely nowhere.

I won't say I'll be unhappy with a QB, but I'm not convinced it's the best possible move for this team at this time. 

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I like Hockenson, but I love Fant. I have no clue what he brings to the table as a blocker but I think he is going to be impossible to defend in the passing game. How valuable is having our own version of Kelce? 

Yeah Fant could be an absolute nightmare matchup in the NFL.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:50 AM, DiehardBronxFan said:

continue our Trend of taking high quality multi-year starters/captains and BPA.

This x100. 

The approach we used last year was the right one and it is how successful teams are built. Last year we drafted not only players who were multi-year starters and team captains but also players from top-notch programs. In 2017 it was guys from Lamar, Coastal Carolina and Louisiana-Lafayette but last year it was guys from NC State, Iowa, Oregon, Penn St, Wisconsin, etc.

As far as the QB or not argument, I can see both sides. The franchise is obviously in win-now mode; Joe Ellis & Co. can't be happy that we got only one real prime time game (no one watches the under-card of the MNF week one double-header) and 5 11am games, that doesn't make selling naming rights for $25m+ appealing to a team that is not part of the national conversation. Thus, if we can add an instant-impact player, a Bush or a Hockenson for example, that could help get us to the 9- or 10-win mark and a potential Wild Card berth it would be better for business short-term. 

However, I think the Denver Broncos should follow the example set by Mr. B and be always working for Super Bowl championships, something that will not happen until we get a real franchise QB. If Lock or Haskins falls into our laps at No. 10 that is the route I would prefer to see us go. 

29 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This x100. 

The approach we used last year was the right one and it is how successful teams are built. Last year we drafted not only players who were multi-year starters and team captains but also players from top-notch programs. In 2017 it was guys from Lamar, Coastal Carolina and Louisiana-Lafayette but last year it was guys from NC State, Iowa, Oregon, Penn St, Wisconsin, etc.

As far as the QB or not argument, I can see both sides. The franchise is obviously in win-now mode; Joe Ellis & Co. can't be happy that we got only one real prime time game (no one watches the under-card of the MNF week one double-header) and 5 11am games, that doesn't make selling naming rights for $25m+ appealing to a team that is not part of the national conversation. Thus, if we can add an instant-impact player, a Bush or a Hockenson for example, that could help get us to the 9- or 10-win mark and a potential Wild Card berth it would be better for business short-term. 

However, I think the Denver Broncos should follow the example set by Mr. B and be always working for Super Bowl championships, something that will not happen until we get a real franchise QB. If Lock or Haskins falls into our laps at No. 10 that is the route I would prefer to see us go. 

Up until the bolded I agree with what you said. The last QB to win a SB that didn't have a top 10 defense was our own Joe Flacco. 

38 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Up until the bolded I agree with what you said. The last QB to win a SB that didn't have a top 10 defense was our own Joe Flacco. 

But do you have to pick Defense at 10 to have a Top 10 Defense?  Because I know you're very unlikly to every have a competent ("Franchise") QB drafted outside of the Top 10.  

5 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

But do you have to pick Defense at 10 to have a Top 10 Defense?  Because I know you're very unlikly to every have a competent ("Franchise") QB drafted outside of the Top 10.  

I would hope with Fangio at HC he will be able to turn some mid round picks into decent starters on defense.  I’m not on the QB at 10 train but we do have some young exciting pieces especially if we can keep improving the OL

10 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

To answer the first, I don't think so, not at all. 

As far as the second, that and similar takes get posted a lot. I just don't believe that. The SB winners sure don't make that point. Only the Manning brothers, both #1 picks are the only top 10 draft pick QB's to win a SB in this century. Chances of winning a ring are far better with a great defense and journeyman QB.

16 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I would hope with Fangio at HC he will be able to turn some mid round picks into decent starters on defense.  I’m not on the QB at 10 train but we do have some young exciting pieces especially if we can keep improving the OL

I'm with you. I think Vic will improve our D without huge additions. 

As far as offense, if we add Hockenson and one of the top four IOL guys in the draft the final pieces to a good to excellent offense may be there.

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

To answer the first, I don't think so, not at all. 

As far as the second, that and similar takes get posted a lot. I just don't believe that. The SB winners sure don't make that point. Only the Manning brothers, both #1 picks are the only top 10 draft pick QB's to win a SB in this century. Chances of winning a ring are far better with a great defense and journeyman QB.

Big Ben was 11th overall

And outside of Brady (.00001% chance his run is ever replicated) only Wilson (4th), Drew Brees (1st pick of the 2nd), Nick Foles (2nd) and brad Johnson have won a Super Bowl as an outside of the 1st round of picks.