Where do we have depth?

James Lofton

I'm wondering what position can we put at the bottom of the list in terms of trying to upgrade. Like if the starter got hurt, the next guy up could hold down the fort. After trading away, or cutting or not allowing to leave many of our previous starters it seems we are in a deep rebuild and need reinforcements at virtually every position. Am I right?

I think our WR depth is great. I could see us adding a high round immediate starter just to overload on weapons, but no real point in adding later round type guys there. The depth is good. 

Same with corner. King, Jaire, Jackson, Tramon, and Crazy Tony involves a lot of health/growth in play asterisks, but as far as saying whether the depth is good or bad, it's not bad. All of those guys can play, if healthy, and Jackson might be the worst one at this point. That's not a top-tier situation, but it's also not a bad one.

I could see us selecting either of these positions high, but only if a player GB really loves happens to be the clear BPA there. We don't need depth picks at these positions. 

Our big draft priorities based on your depth question:

Safety - Safety depth is bad, because I'm not even sure we have one that can really play outside of Amos. Probably won't take one until the 44th pick, I would guess, but it is a MUST draft position.

DL - depth is pretty sub par. Daniels/Clark/Lowry is an acceptable starting group. I'm not sure we have anything but warm bodies there. Could see this one at 12 or 30. Must get more top tier quality there, in a good DL draft.

TE - Could see at 30, 44, 75 - Tonyan ain't it, and the top two guys are gone next year. They may not even be good this year. 

RB and OL come somewhere after that. Everything else we can kind of roll with. 

14 minutes ago, James Lofton said:

I'm wondering what position can we put at the bottom of the list in terms of trying to upgrade. Like if the starter got hurt, the next guy up could hold down the fort. After trading away, or cutting or not allowing to leave many of our previous starters it seems we are in a deep rebuild and need reinforcements at virtually every position. Am I right?

Starting QB, starting LT, starting NT, 1 starting CB are where no upgrades are available in this draft compared to what we have. Other than that, we could get an upgrade everywhere in this draft IMO. 

I HOPE we get EDGE, 5-tech DE, T, TE, S not sure what order we get them in. 

6 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Starting QB, starting LT, starting NT, 1 starting CB are where no upgrades are available in this draft compared to what we have. Other than that, we could get an upgrade everywhere in this draft IMO. 

I HOPE we get EDGE, 5-tech DE, T, TE, S not sure what order we get them in. 

Your list is quite similar to mine.

we do need some bodies at RB and Corner, but that’s merely depth bodies. I also think we will go after a smallish WR type, but I could be totally wrong about that.

4 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

Your list is quite similar to mine.

we do need some bodies at RB and Corner, but that’s merely depth bodies. I also think we will go after a smallish WR type, but I could be totally wrong about that.

I agree with all of this, but if we came out of the driaft with potential good football players at those 5 positions I'd like our chances in 2019. IMO, the positions you mentioned could be addressed after the first pick of round 4. 

I'd also like a kicker at least for competition for Crosby,  and hope they pick beats him out. My anti-Crosby history is well documented so I won't get into it. 

We have good depth at offensive tackle.  Bakhtiari, Bulaga, McCray, Spriggs, and Turner have all started games at tackle. The problem here is, Bulaga, McCray, and Spriggs are all free agents at the end of this season, and McCray and Turner are primarily guards.  By the same token, we are pretty deep at TE, we can get through this season with what we have.

WR is deep too.  We have 6 or 7 roster worthy players (depending on what you think of Trevor Davis).

We have 2 pretty good RBs.  To say we are deep, you'd probably want another productive back.

Maybe CB.  We pretty well know what we have with Alexander, King, and Tramon.  And you have to like the potential of Brown, Jackson, and Redmond.

There isn't a position where we could lose a top a player and I'm confident in his replacement to be even adequate. Im comfortable with all our starters sans the one safety spot. This draft should be strictly BPA at every pick because we need players at every position at every level of the offense and defense. 

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

OG is probably the most resistant to losing a starter and having the least impact.

RB might be next.

Then probably IDL.

I would agree that OG has depth that if a starter were to go down, the back up would allow the OL to function without much noticeable drop off in performance or how the offense would need to run.    

RB would be similar

Disagree with IDL, if Clark goes down, I think there would be a pretty noticeable drop off to the back up there.  The other DL positions are less drastic in drop off from starter to back up

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I would agree that OG has depth that if a starter were to go down, the back up would allow the OL to function without much noticeable drop off in performance or how the offense would need to run.    

RB would be similar

Disagree with IDL, if Clark goes down, I think there would be a pretty noticeable drop off to the back up there.  The other DL positions are less drastic in drop off from starter to back up

I typed IDL, but I meant DE.

Whoops.

It depends how you judge depth. If you're just going to judge by how big of a dropoff there is from starter to backup, that's a problematic metric because it's huge sliding scale from team to team. you'd essentially be punishing teams for having a stronger starters. It would be better to just compare the ability of the backups to eachother in absolute terms & forget about the starters. 

In absolute terms, GB has decent depth at RB, OL, and WR compared to the teams on their 2019 schedule. That's considering the first-guy-off-the-bench (ie. #2 RB, #4WR, etc) at those positions as listed by ourlads.com.  

On the defensive side, the DL/EDG have decent depth. Secondary and ILB depth is suspect. 

Of course, this is the pre-draft depth charts, so things could change. GB is near the top of the league in draft assets, so it would stand to reason that they'd improve more in that aspect than most of the opponents, though you can't expect too much out of rookies. 

And none of that factors the situation beyond the 2019 season. Expiring contracts will change the depth picture on all the league teams.

Archived