Time to hold Mark Murphy accountable?

GB Scott

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hard to say. Anybody for a real read on the board? Sounds like they're really happy collecting their money and letting that title town district develop. No desire to step into the football side.

Is there any chance they realize they should let the football people do football things instead of just being happy with their checks? Not that Murphy himself isn't a football guy I guess

51 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Isn't it Murphy's job to make the Packers money?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2018/07/16/green-bay-packers-enjoy-another-year-of-record-revenue/#5fc978e814bb

According to that article, the Packers have made money every year since 2003, and it has increased every year.  

It would be almost impossible not to with revenue sharing in place.

Murphy was probably one year too late in giving Thompson the boot, but at least he did make the move.  Once they had to start handing off some of TT's duties to others he should have been gone.  Once Murphy replaced TT with Gute and assumed the role as the guy that everyone answers too is the day he really put his neck on the line.  He's handpicked his GM and Head Coach and from this point forward it is fair to really hold him accountable for what transpires in GB.  Prior to Murphy taking the reigns it was on Thompson to make any head coaching changes, or help fix any issues that may have been going on between McCarthy and Rodgers.

I give Murphy 2 years to see if the hire Gute works out. He’s only made really 2 team operation decisions, which is hiring Gute and influencing LaFleur. I get the argument maybe he should have been more aggressive, but let’s be real,  the last staff made the playoffs from 09-16 including a Super Bowl and 2 NFC championship games in that run.  You can argue considering 12 that is underachieving, but as a president  you really cant fire any coaches for that and you even give a 1 year pass for AR getting hurt. From a team operations standpoint he’s had a very easy job, and financially the organization is very healthy, which is more his role.

17 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't blame Thompson, McCarthy, Rodgers or Capers individually.  I think they're all highly capable.  I blame whoever kept them together since none of them are good fits together.  Guess that's gotta be Murphy then.

I agree with Favre.  McCarthy/Rodgers should have won more.

Favre is a fine one to talk.  How come he only won it once?   His screw ups in several playoff games both in GB and MN prevented him from winning another ring.

I will say what was said above - there was more than one guilty party.   Yes, Murphy kept Ted around too long and McCarthy kept Capers around too long.  But you have to credit Murphy with finally doing something by replacing TT with Gute and finally canning McCarthy.  If these move don't work the BOD will replace Murphy.

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Favre is a fine one to talk.  How come he only won it once?   His screw ups in several playoff games both in GB and MN prevented him from winning another ring.

Seriously. Mr. "Critical Play INT" is calling others out? Favre did a lot of great things and I'm not dissing him when I say he also did some really stupid things at really bad times.

I think it's premature to start talking about holding Murphy accountable for anything.  While Thompson wasn't hired by Murphy, I don't think Thompson was the caliber of GM that you just fire willy-nilly after a couple bad drafts and a couple bad seasons.  Not sure how his health effected the bad drafts or if Murphy was supposed to know that's the reason.  IMO those terrible drafts fall at the feet of every single person in that personnel department, Gute included.  I don't think it's just Thompson's fault that his last couple drafts were terrible.

We'll have to see how Gute and the LAF work out before we start talking about Murphy's hair being close to the fire.  If we continue this drastic decline, then it's probably time to start talking about holding Murphy accountable.  

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Seriously. Mr. "Critical Play INT" is calling others out? Favre did a lot of great things and I'm not dissing him when I say he also did some really stupid things at really bad times.

I mean, he probably realizes he cost the team(s) and himself title opportunities. He can think the team should have won more with those two AND realize he should have as well and even realize it was his fault often.

You don't need to be a perfect human being to be critical. Most of us agree with him right?

Archived