Analyzing Chicago’s Roster Needs Heading Into the Draft

soulman

13 hours ago, dll2000 said:

You are right.  We desperately need a 3rd RB, 3rd TE and back up OL/S/CB.   No way we can get that with a 3rd, 4th and 5th round pick.  

If Pace trades back from #87 to the top of round four we might squeeze another high 5th out of it but I won't count on that either.

I do feel we'll take a RB.  I don't know enough about what vet TEs are still unsigned to say whether or not we can fill that need there.

So you could possibly toss TE/CB/SS/Edge into the pot as far as who the other two mid round picks will be and then Pace has two 7ths to use on guys who could be developed over time and some UDFAs.  Given how filled out our starting spots are I don't think we're all that desperate and we have a lot more picks in 2020 to use on others who'll replace vets who become cap casualties.

I don't see us as being that needy for more picks.  Just hit on these is all.

Edited by soulman

20 minutes ago, soulman said:

I don't see us as being that needy for more picks.  Just hit on these is all.

That is the hardest part though. Pace has done really well in the middle and late rounds overall but he still isnt hitting all of them. There's likely still to be at least 2 players that just simply suck in this draft class, but if we get even 2 future starters then it still will be a good draft class.

That's why trading back appeals to me quite a bit, more swings since we are lacking the "premier" picks. We aren't looking at a Roquan, Ramsey,  or Bosa, so the chances of hitting on picks is just dropping each round. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That is the hardest part though. Pace has done really well in the middle and late rounds overall but he still isnt hitting all of them. There's likely still to be at least 2 players that just simply suck in this draft class, but if we get even 2 future starters then it still will be a good draft class.

That's why trading back appeals to me quite a bit, more swings since we are lacking the "premier" picks. We aren't looking at a Roquan, Ramsey,  or Bosa, so the chances of hitting on picks is just dropping each round. 

Ah but Pace says he has planned ahead for this.  Quantity over highest quality.  For your reading enjoyment my Bears Brothers. 

Ryan Pace expects Chicago Bears to sign 18-20 undrafted players

ByMatt Eurich 15 hours ago

The Chicago Bears will be limited in this year's NFL Draft in terms of selections due to a pair of trades last offseason. Chicago does not hold selections in either the first or second round of this year's draft after deals to acquire Khalil Mack and to select Anthony Miller in the 2019 NFL Draft. 

General manager Ryan Pace knows he is going to need to find impact players in other ways this offseason. When speaking with the media on Tuesday afternoon ahead of the draft, Pace noted he expects the team to sign 18-20 undrafted free agents this year, via Jeff Joniak of Bears Radio.

The good news is that Pace has been good at identifying talent when it comes to undrafted free agents. Pace took over as general manager in 2015 and immediately found a pair of future contributors in wide receiver Cameron Meredith and cornerback Bryce Callahan. He also found a pair of players in linebackers Jonathan Anderson and John Timu who later went on to make starts for the team.

Meredith caught 11 passes for 120 yards in his rookie season before a breakout campaign in 2016. He ended that season with 66 catches for 888 yards with four touchdowns. He missed the entire 2017 season due to an injury. Pace was criticized by some for only placing an original round tender on Meredith after the 2017 season and watching him get signed away by the New Orleans Saints. Meredith went on to catch just nine passes for 114 yards with one touchdown in six games last season for the Saints.

Callahan developed into a solid contributor for Chicago despite numerous struggles with injuries. He recorded 123 tackles, four sacks, 21 pass deflections, four interceptions and one forced fumble in four seasons. He signed with the Denver Broncos this offseason.

ce then found another contributor in the undrafted free agent market in 2016 in the form of UTEP's Roy Robertson-Harris. The young defender has developed into a key part of Chicago's defensive line the last two seasons. He has recorded 35 tackles, five sacks and three pass deflections in the last two seasons.

The 2017 UDFA cycle had Pace finding a trio of developmental players who are still on the roster in defensive lineman Rashaad Coward, wide receiver Tanner Gentry and outside linebacker Isaiah Irving. Coward made the move from nose tackle on the defensive side of the ball to right tackle last offseason on the offensive side of the ball. Pace also found a contributor for the organization in the UDFA pile after last year's draft in the form of cornerback Kevin Toliver. He appeared in 15 games for the team with one start. Toliver ended the year with 16 tackles and two pass deflections.

Even though the Bears do not hold an early selection in this year's NFL Draft that does not mean the pressure will not be on Pace to find contributors even when the draft is over.