Mock 1.0. One Round, Trades, Explanations

cjfollett

Alright fellow fans, here is my first stab at mocking the whole first round. Have at it!

1. AZ: Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma. They hired a new coach after one year. This team wants to move in a new direction, and I think that means a new QB. They have a lot of holes, so I would not be surprised if they trade this pick.

2. SF: Quinnen Williams, DL, Alabama. I think the 49ers need DL more than Edge, and Williams is the best player in this draft.

3. TRADE. NYJ -> DET: Nick Bosa, Edge, OSU. It is widely reported that the Jets want to trade down, so I give them what they want. Detroit jumps at the chance to get Bosa.

4. OAK: Josh Allen, Edge, Kentucky. I really do not have a good feel for this pick. I basically flipped a coin between Edge and ILB here, and Edge won.

5. TB: Devin White, LB, LSU. If White is there, he is the pick, IMO.

6. NYG: Ed Oliver, DL, Houston. I see many people projecting QB here, but the Giants have two 1st round picks. I just cannot see them passing on Oliver here.

7. JAX: Jawaan Taylor, OL, FL. Lots of options for the Jags, but I think they grab the top OL at this spot.

8. NYJ (from DET): TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa. After trading down, the Jets feel good about grabbing the TE here to give their young QB a big-time target.

9. TRADE. BUF -> CAR: Montez Sweat, Edge, Miss. St. I think Buffalo is another team looking to move down. Carolina wants Edge pretty badly, and if they stay at 16, they won’t get one of the top players.

10. DEN: Drew Lock, QB, Missouri. I can see Denver trading down here, but I don’t see any team within reach wanting to move up. Flacco is another stop gap, so they get a rookie to groom for a year or two down the road.

11. CIN: Devin Bush, LB, Michigan. Good-bye Burfict. Hello Bush.

12. GB: Brian Burns, Edge, FL. St. Green Bay also has two 1st round picks, and at first I was going to put WR here. However, after looking at the talent left on the board, it seemed that Edge was a better option here.

13. MIA: Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan. I think Miami is tanking in 2019 for next year’s crop of QBs. I expect a trade down here, but I don’t see a good dance partner.

14. ATL: Jonah Williams, OL, Alabama. This is another team for which I have no real good opinion about the player they will take.

15. WASH: Dwayne Haskins, QB, OSU. Haskins is arguably the best QB in this class. The Redskins are not getting Alex Smith back this season, if ever. They have basically have no one at the position.

16. BUF (from CAR): Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson. After trading down, the Bills go with the best DL remaining. Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if they traded down again.

17. NYG: Daniel Jones, QB, Duke. I believe the Giants will take a QB in round 1. I do not know which player they really want, but all the noise is about Jones.

18. MIN: Cody Ford, OL, Oklahoma. They went big last year to get their QB. They need help on the OL to keep him upright.

19. TEN: Noah Fant, TE, Iowa. Mariota loves going to Delaney Walker. Walker is old, and when he got hurt last year, the O struggled.

20. PIT: Clelin Ferrell, Edge, Clemson. Since the beginning of this draft season, I have been on the Steelers need a top-end CB. Yet, all off-season moves point to them taking one of two positions: TE or Edge. I doubt they’d trade up for TE, and there are some reports that Ferrell is their guy.

21. SEA: Byron Murphy, CB, Washington. Is this too obvious? I think they could go WR here, but I think they take who they perceive as the best CB in this class, who happened to play in their backyard.

22. BAL: Garrett Bradbury, C, NC St. The Ravens are focusing everything on a run-heavy O, and they add the new future leader of the OL to continue in that direction.

23. HOU: Andre Dillard, OL, Wash. St. More protection for Watson. How many times was he sacked last year?

24. OAK: Greedy Williams, CB, LSU. I believe Mayock thinks Williams is the best CB in this class, and they jump at the chance to take him here.

25. PHI: Kaleb McGary, OL, Washington. Future replacement for old man Peters. Should get plenty of snaps as a rookie, and take over LT next season.

26. IND: Dexter Lawrence, DL, Clemson. I went back and forth here between DL and WR. I just think for the Colts, DL is the bigger need.

27. OAK: Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama. This seems like a consensus pick to me. After addressing previous needs, the Raiders get the workhorse they need to keep the pressure off of Carr.

28. LAC: Chris Lindstrom, OL, BC. The Chargers were real close last season to challenging for the AFC crown, but they could not block Baltimore in the playoffs. The Chargers might be inclined to trade up if they love another OL better.

29. KC: Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia. I basically have no clue who KC will draft, but I think they need CB more than anything else.

30. GB: DK Metcalf, WR, Miss. Reports were that Rodgers did not trust his rookie WRs last season. While it may seem counter-intuitive to give him another rookie WR, the Packers go after Metcalf to give Rodgers a guy he can trust aside from Adams.

31. LAR: Jeffery Simmons, DL, Miss. St. While not on the same level as Suh, it is a position of need.

32. NE: N'Keal Harry, WR, AZ St. They are trying to give Josh Gordon the room to find himself and come back once again to the NFL, but they need someone this season.

1 hour ago, cjfollett said:

29. KC: Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia. I basically have no clue who KC will draft, but I think they need CB more than anything else.

Great choice. Outside of QB, RB, FB, K, and P, pretty much every position is up for drafting in the first couple of rounds. Ideally we go BPA throughout, but Veach likes to trade up for his guys, so who knows what we do.

14. ATL: Jonah Williams, OL, Alabama. This is another team for which I have no real good opinion about the player they will take.

Not a bad pick for the Falcons i wouldn't be mad about it overall.  As for some ideas for us if ya needed some the 3 best positions for us in round 1 would be DT, Edge Rusher, and RT.    You hit 1 of those 3 so i can't complain to much since Williams is good value there.

I personally would have taken Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, or Cody Ford but Jonah is good enough that i wouldn't complain about the pick.

• Like 1

Don't think Baker is a good fit for us. I'm not super familiar with Spags scheme yet, but I believe it's mostly man concepts and I'm not sure I want Baker to play mostly outside man. And we already have Fuller inside. I think Greedy or guys like Layne, Love or others later make more sense.

• Like 1