My draft-week mock

Magnus-Viktor

Now that FA is behind us, and things are settling down with only 3 days till draft day, I thought I'd do another mock here.  Everyone is taking close to where CBS has them rated, with the exception of my 2nd to last player who was projected as a UDFA.  It isn't ideal, but I tried to go BPA and the talent just wasn't there at LB picking at 20.  

20.  Greedy Williams, CB, LSU - Guys with his length (6'2") and speed (4.37) don't exactly grow on trees.  He was hyped as an elite prospect that we'd usually have no chance at, so to get him at this point, it's a steal.  He's the highest rated CB in the draft by man, so to have your pick of them all at this point is a good luxury to have if it actually falls that way.  I do like Byron Murphy's feet a lot more, but I feel that long term Greedy is likely the better option.  

52.  Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State - Another burner here.  Campbell is 6' 208 and ran a 4.31.  His NFL comparison is Percy Harvin, but I am not aware of any of the headcase issues like Percy had.  Also could be a return man and gunner in case DHB is let go.  I think given how often Brown was used on bubble screens, this is a no brainer to replacing that type of production.  

66.  JJ Arcega Whiteside, WR, Stanford - This is one of my favorite guys from back when McCaffrey was at Stanford and I watched them a lot.  He consistently made big plays.  He's a big guy at 6'3" 225 with really long arms (33 1/4") and big hands (9 1/2"), and with both of his parents being professional basketball players, he plays like it.  He boxes his guy out and has great hands to go up for the jump ball.  He also ran a 4.49 at his pro day.  WR depth was a need anyway since I'm not a believer in any WR on the roster besides JuJu, so using the pick from Brown to take a 2nd much-needed WR makes a lot of sense.  I almost went with Miles Boykin in 4, but I decided to go with the Stanford boy here instead because I have watched him a lot more and I like him.  

84.  Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State - A Pittsburgh boy to pair with the other Pittsburgh boy at RB for the Steelers.  He looks like the total package to me.  I think that Conner is a good RB, but you need a couple, especially with how reliant on the running backs the Steelers have been recently when it's clicking.  Samuels is not a real RB, he's more of an HB/situational guy.  I didn't want to use a 3 on a RB, but it was either Sanders or Justice Hill for me, and you'd have to take them at this pick.  

123.  Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston - Another height, weight, speed guy.  6'2" 209, he ran a 4.40 with a 36.5" vert, 11'1" broad, 6.81 3-cone and a 4.06 SS.  A former WR, he shows all the raw ability you could ask for in a CB.  

142.  Blake Cashman, ILB, Minnesota - Yeah it sucks waiting till early 5 to take a LB, but I'm just not that impressed with any LBs that I expect to actually be available before this point.  There's Wilson in 2, but he's JAG to me and I'd definitely take both WRs over him.  Joseph or Pratt aren't as good as Sanders is to me in 3.  Hopefully Mark Barron in FA can plug those holes.  I was going to take a LB in 1, whether it be inside or out, but all of them are projected to be gone by then.  

176.  Corey Ballentine, CB, Washburn - A smaller CB at 5'11" 196, he looks like he has all the tools to develop into a guy that can play inside or out.  It may seem a bit odd to draft 3 CBs, but Haden is 30+ this season and in his last year.  Nelson is hopefully going to be good, but who knows?  Hilton is a slot only, and specializes in blitzing more than coverage.  Burns is terrible.  No one else is really worth mentioning that has played at all.  He also provides STs value as he has a knack for blocking kicks, and can also cover and return kicks.  

194.  John Cominsky, DE, Charleston - A really freakish athlete, he's a small school guy that needs a lot of development.  A former QB, but he's 6'5" 286 and ran a 4.69.  His 7.03 3-cone is impressive as well.   Heyward isn't getting any younger, nor is top backup Alualu.  Stash him on the practice squad if he isn't ready to contribute at all yet.  Worth a spot to develop for a while.  

209.  Chris Johnson, S, Northern Alabama - He's 6'2" 209 and ran a 4.40.  Small school developmental project.  

221.  Terry Godwin, WR, Georgia - This one is just for those who complain about drafting WRs.  Godwin should be clearly the BPA at this point, since he's shown the ability to make great catches in big games.  His knock is his health, not his talent.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Give me Walker in the 3rd instead of another WR or some Edge player in the 2nd or 3rd and I'd be very happy. And maybe a TE in the 4th instead of Sanders or one of the 3 CBs. 

The draft that would've filled more needs would've been taking a LB in 2 or 3 (I doubt the Bama LB will actually be there at 66 as he's projected, and that's part of why I didn't take him) and maybe Walker in 3 as well.  I didn't especially like using a 3 on a RB, but I like Sanders.  I'm thinking long term with the CBs.  Haden will be gone soon.  There is no depth to speak of on the roster, even with Haden there.  NONE.  The unknown here, is how Moncrief and Washington will do at WR.  Neither have done much yet.  Moncrief has more potential than Washington.  Washington's just never been my cup of tea by any means.  Moncrief is probably a 60 catch, 600 yards, 6 TDs a season guy.  If he couldn't do better than that with Andrew Luck, why would we expect him to with Ben?  Washington, in 14 games with 6 starts, had 16 catches.  Over 20% of his career yards came on one catch.  If he did what he did in 2 of his last 3 games (3 catches for 65 yards, or an average of 21.5) that isn't too shabby and at least gives splash plays.  But in between those was a 0 for 0 for 0 game.  So the average for his last 3 games was 2 catches, 43 yards and 0 TDs.  

I couldn't pass on those CBs.  I'm too big of a fan of good DBs.  Foster Moreau might have been a decent pick in 4, but I wouldn't pass on Isaiah Johnson for him.  Same with Kahale Warring, who I'm not as familiar with but checks the boxes.  All the TEs I like have flown up the draft boards to being 3rd rounders (or even earlier 1st, so I couldn't even get Hockenson, who would've been my pick if he'd been there).  Fant is projected at #20 now, but he isn't a good enough blocker and not consistent enough to be worthy of a 1st due to other needs.  I watch a LOT of Iowa.  Great athlete, but Hockenson is by far the better player and a safer pick.  

I'm guessing people will like this one a lot more, since it widely ignores the need for WR and goes all D for the most part (sorry still no TE, can't pass up my developmental CBs in the mid rounds and if it's not Hockenson I'm not wasting a day 1 or 2 pick on a TE unless someone slides a long ways):

20  Chauncey Gardner Johnson S

52  Mack Wilson ILB

66  Trayvon Mullen CB

84  Andy Isabella WR (quick underneath stuff, slot, bubble screens)

123 Isaiah Johnson CB (potential FS)

142  Darius Slayton WR (vertical threat)

176  Corey Ballentin CB (nickel/slot)

194  John Cominsky DE

209  Chris Johnson FS

221 Alex Barnes or Travis Homer RB

On 4/22/2019 at 8:07 PM, Magnus-Viktor said:

Now that FA is behind us, and things are settling down with only 3 days till draft day, I thought I'd do another mock here.  Everyone is taking close to where CBS has them rated, with the exception of my 2nd to last player who was projected as a UDFA.  It isn't ideal, but I tried to go BPA and the talent just wasn't there at LB picking at 20.  

20.  Greedy Williams, CB, LSU - Guys with his length (6'2") and speed (4.37) don't exactly grow on trees.  He was hyped as an elite prospect that we'd usually have no chance at, so to get him at this point, it's a steal.  He's the highest rated CB in the draft by man, so to have your pick of them all at this point is a good luxury to have if it actually falls that way.  I do like Byron Murphy's feet a lot more, but I feel that long term Greedy is likely the better option.  

I don't think the Steelers could go wrong with drafting any of the top three CB's.  They all have their good points and some concerns, but I think they can finally score with a solid CB picking between (Greedy - best overall upside, DeAndre' - physical Ole' School Steelers type of CB and Murphy - most consistent). I believe that the ILB's are gone as last year and the only other high options would be DL and Edge. 

52.  Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State - Another burner here.  Campbell is 6' 208 and ran a 4.31.  His NFL comparison is Percy Harvin, but I am not aware of any of the headcase issues like Percy had.  Also could be a return man and gunner in case DHB is let go.  I think given how often Brown was used on bubble screens, this is a no brainer to replacing that type of production.  

I like the pick. They need another WR to develop.  I do think that ILB, Edge, Safety or TE could be options here as well.

66.  JJ Arcega Whiteside, WR, Stanford - This is one of my favorite guys from back when McCaffrey was at Stanford and I watched them a lot.  He consistently made big plays.  He's a big guy at 6'3" 225 with really long arms (33 1/4") and big hands (9 1/2"), and with both of his parents being professional basketball players, he plays like it.  He boxes his guy out and has great hands to go up for the jump ball.  He also ran a 4.49 at his pro day.  WR depth was a need anyway since I'm not a believer in any WR on the roster besides JuJu, so using the pick from Brown to take a 2nd much-needed WR makes a lot of sense.  I almost went with Miles Boykin in 4, but I decided to go with the Stanford boy here instead because I have watched him a lot more and I like him.  

I have said this in many other threads, why double up on WR. It is totally unnecessary drafting additional WR's with still having Washington from last year.   There are other more important positions of need: TE, ILB, Edge or Safety.

84.  Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State - A Pittsburgh boy to pair with the other Pittsburgh boy at RB for the Steelers.  He looks like the total package to me.  I think that Conner is a good RB, but you need a couple, especially with how reliant on the running backs the Steelers have been recently when it's clicking.  Samuels is not a real RB, he's more of an HB/situational guy.  I didn't want to use a 3 on a RB, but it was either Sanders or Justice Hill for me, and you'd have to take them at this pick.  

Not a bad pick, but I think the Steelers will package some picks and try to move up early in the second, third, fourth or even fifth rounds rounds. Other more important needs than a #3 backup RB.

123.  Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston - Another height, weight, speed guy.  6'2" 209, he ran a 4.40 with a 36.5" vert, 11'1" broad, 6.81 3-cone and a 4.06 SS.  A former WR, he shows all the raw ability you could ask for in a CB.  

Why are you doubling up before addressing other needs?

142.  Blake Cashman, ILB, Minnesota - Yeah it sucks waiting till early 5 to take a LB, but I'm just not that impressed with any LBs that I expect to actually be available before this point.  There's Wilson in 2, but he's JAG to me and I'd definitely take both WRs over him.  Joseph or Pratt aren't as good as Sanders is to me in 3.  Hopefully Mark Barron in FA can plug those holes.  I was going to take a LB in 1, whether it be inside or out, but all of them are projected to be gone by then.  

Prefer to get an ILB inside of the top 100 picks. That is a weakness that must be addressed sooner in my humble opinion.

176.  Corey Ballentine, CB, Washburn - A smaller CB at 5'11" 196, he looks like he has all the tools to develop into a guy that can play inside or out.  It may seem a bit odd to draft 3 CBs, but Haden is 30+ this season and in his last year.  Nelson is hopefully going to be good, but who knows?  Hilton is a slot only, and specializes in blitzing more than coverage.  Burns is terrible.  No one else is really worth mentioning that has played at all.  He also provides STs value as he has a knack for blocking kicks, and can also cover and return kicks.  

Two WR's and three CB's!  No TE, no Edge, no interior DL, and an ILB with a fourth or fifth round value?

194.  John Cominsky, DE, Charleston - A really freakish athlete, he's a small school guy that needs a lot of development.  A former QB, but he's 6'5" 286 and ran a 4.69.  His 7.03 3-cone is impressive as well.   Heyward isn't getting any younger, nor is top backup Alualu.  Stash him on the practice squad if he isn't ready to contribute at all yet.  Worth a spot to develop for a while.  

Don't know him, but looks like a good value pick and need here. High marks.

209.  Chris Johnson, S, Northern Alabama - He's 6'2" 209 and ran a 4.40.  Small school developmental project.  

We can't get better drafting late help at positions of need. Taking a risk and hoping that we strike gold late.

221.  Terry Godwin, WR, Georgia - This one is just for those who complain about drafting WRs.  Godwin should be clearly the BPA at this point, since he's shown the ability to make great catches in big games.  His knock is his health, not his talent.  

Brother what is it with the WR obsession?  Ju Ju, Moncreif, Washington, Switzer, and/or Eli.Then you add Campbell.  That's five or six roster spots.  You still have two more WR's you drafted who won't make the roster.  Some wasted picks in my humble opinion my friend.  I would try to package one or two to move up in the fourth or fifth round.

I don't see ten rookies making this roster or the need for ten players.  Get rid of two or three of those picks even if they are for next year.