Flashback: Mel Kiper's comments about Brady in 2000

7DnBrnc53

You're burying the lede here. What did he say about the QB the Browns took before Brady? Spergon Wynn.

You draft a man named Spergon, you deserve anything that happens to you. But I'd like to hear Mel explain why it wasn't gonna work.

• Like 2

I'd first like to point out that Brady looks incredibly handsome in that photo and I think that helps debunk the narrative that he only became handsome as he got older.

As far as football goes - I think that the signs for Brady were always there. He showed great leadership, drive, desire and ability to win, etc while he was at Michigan. I think those intangibles matter far more for a QB than having a fast 40 time. Obviously nobody could predict that he was going to be a first ballot HOFer, but I personally would want to give any QB who showed what Brady did in college a chance on my team. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Don Roshi said:

We wouldn't have been able to draft Baker if we took Brady. Just incredible foresight there.

That might be the all time classic post. I blew my coffee all over my monitor when I read that - and I am still laughing. Well done, sir!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Kiper sucks. He's right about Tom here though - accurate, a leader, led his team to wins....done. 

Some of his takes THIS draft as well, jeez. He's labelling coverage linebackers downhill thumpers. So bad.

His take on Mack Wilson was just strange.  McShay had Pratt as an EDGE rusher which is a real headscratcher.  I keep wondering who these guys are watching.

• Like 1