2019 NFL Draft GDT

Nick

Also.... I keep tinkering with my final mock draft... here's how I'm seeing things based on the latest rumors and fan opinions...

1. Arizona Cardinals - Kyler Murray, QB

2. San Francisco 49ers - Nick Bosa, EDGE

3. New York Jets - Ed Oliver, DL

4. Oakland Raiders - Quinnen Williams, DL

5. Tampa Bay Buccs - Devin White, LB

6. New York Giants - Josh Allen, EDGE

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jonah Williams, OL

8. Detroit Lions - Brian Burns, EDGE

9. Buffalo Bills - TJ Hockenson, TE

42 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Also.... I keep tinkering with my final mock draft... here's how I'm seeing things based on the latest rumors and fan opinions...

1. Arizona Cardinals - Kyler Murray, QB

2. San Francisco 49ers - Nick Bosa, EDGE

3. New York Jets - Ed Oliver, DL

5. Tampa Bay Buccs - Devin White, LB

6. New York Giants - Josh Allen, EDGE

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jonah Williams, OL

8. Detroit Lions - Brian Burns, EDGE

9. Buffalo Bills - TJ Hockenson, TE

I would love Hockenson in this scenario but unfortunately I don't see it happening. How often do the Bills end up drafting a first round player that we haven't interviewed or brought in with a predraft visit. I can't remember many. I think Tre White was one but only because we traded down in that draft. Other than that seems most of our draft picks we have shown interest in before the draft.

1. Arizona - Kyler Murray, QB

2. San Francisco - Nick Bosa, EDGE

3. New York Jets - Josh Allen, EDGE

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Devin White, LB

6. New York Giants - Dwayne Haskins, QB

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jawaan Taylor, OT

8. Detroit Lions - Rashan Gary, EDGE

9. Buffalo Bills - Ed Oliver, DL

9 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

I would love Hockenson in this scenario but unfortunately I don't see it happening. How often do the Bills end up drafting a first round player that we haven't interviewed or brought in with a predraft visit. I can't remember many. I think Tre White was one but only because we traded down in that draft. Other than that seems most of our draft picks we have shown interest in before the draft.

Interesting you bring up the visit point up. Cover1 did a piece on visits and what they mean for our pick. Basically, we haven't seen anything about a visit from him because his agent has a history of keeping things under wraps. Maybe we didn't meet but nonetheless, it's very possible given Beane's philosophy with keeping things quiet (as they should) and the agents that we are keeping his visit quiet because he's our #1 target.

It's a great read. Here's the exact quote I'm referring to:

Even though Hockenson hasn’t had an official visit reported, I believe all signs point to the Bills and or Hockenson’s agent purposefully keeping their meetings hush-hush. But it’s not just the Bills; I have not seen any top-30 visits for Hockenson reported. I quickly looked into who Hockenson’s agent is, and I had trouble finding who he hired. So I reached out to a friend in the industry, and he was able to determine Hockenson is represented by Neil Cornrich, a super-agent who represents the likes of Bill Belichick, Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz, Marshal Yanda, Brandon Scherff, Trey Flowers (plays for the Lions, who pick right before Buffalo), and more. A lot of business from the Iowa program is thrown Cornrich’s direction, but more times than not he operates on the down-low, and I was told that is his “M.O.” So it doesn’t surprise me that Hockenson’s visits have been kept quiet.

Highly recommend reading the full article breaking down the visits: https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-2019-nfl-draft-first-round-pick-predictions/

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Interesting you bring up the visit point up. Cover1 did a piece on visits and what they mean for our pick. Basically, we haven't seen anything about a visit from him because his agent has a history of keeping things under wraps. Maybe we didn't meet but nonetheless, it's very possible given Beane's philosophy with keeping things quiet (as they should) and the agents that we are keeping his visit quiet because he's our #1 target.

It's a great read. Here's the exact quote I'm referring to:

Highly recommend reading the full article breaking down the visits: https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-2019-nfl-draft-first-round-pick-predictions/

Cover 1 does some really good work. I've come away impressed by most of the articles I've read 

• Like 1

More and more talks about Bills looking to trade down and not only are they looking, teams are looking to move up that have deep ties to the Bills staff. Carolina at 16 and Giants at 17. Carolina is seeking OL help and Giants get their pass rusher at 6 and can be going for their future QB in haskins or Jones with pick 9. If Oliver is off the board, I will like to see them trade back and land someone at 16-17 while picking up a 2nd rd pick and possibly a 3rd rd pick. Turn around and grab a guy like Sweat, Wilkins, Hockenson, Fant, Burns, Brown, or Metcalf.

12 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

More and more talks about Bills looking to trade down and not only are they looking, teams are looking to move up that have deep ties to the Bills staff. Carolina at 16 and Giants at 17. Carolina is seeking OL help and Giants get their pass rusher at 6 and can be going for their future QB in haskins or Jones with pick 9. If Oliver is off the board, I will like to see them trade back and land someone at 16-17 while picking up a 2nd rd pick and possibly a 3rd rd pick. Turn around and grab a guy like Sweat, Wilkins, Hockenson, Fant, Burns, Brown, or Metcalf.

That would be awesome. I think a lot of teams will be interested in moving down and not sure if there are a lot of teams that will want to come up. 

5 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

That would be awesome. I think a lot of teams will be interested in moving down and not sure if there are a lot of teams that will want to come up. 

I think it depends on the QB situation, if Murray goes to Cards or Raiders and no other qb is taken until pick 9 I could see the bills receiving interest from bengals 11, dolphins 13, redskins 15, and giants at 17 as Haskins, Jones, and Lock have been mentioned as possible top 10-15 picks. Teams like Atlanta and Carolina have made it known they are interested in getting a top OLineman and bills may be in the perfect spot for them too, as one or maybe zero olineman will be taken until 9, as its relatively top heavy with defensive players allowing guys like Taylor, Jonah, and Dillard (top 3 OTs said to be on the board) to be available. If Beane feels that he is happy with oline and have several players they are interested in are still on the board then he could make that move.  No particular order but i expect the top 6 picks to be murray, oliver, quinnen, bosa, white, and allen. Picks 7 and 8 are question marks, my assumption is Gary will be one of them. If allen drops to pick 6 i think Giants take him over haskins, but if Allen is not there and they arent comfortable with sweat or burns that early then they grab haskins at 6. 

My mock is a bit different simply because this is what the unexpected does:
1 Cards pass on Murray and bosa taking the best player in the draft with Quinnen Williams
2. Niners take bosa
3. Jets take a guy to pair nicely on the front line with Leonard Williams by drafting Ed Oliver
4. Oakland, with the firing of scouts and keeping it a secret, Gruden/Mayock surprise people and take Murray to be future QB in Las Vegas
5. Bucs have holes in MLB, will likely move McCoy but they go best player in Devin White
6. Giants need a pass rusher and land Josh Allen
7. Jags, this is the most tricky one ahead of the bills as they can go with a RT such as Taylor or Jonah, they need a TE Hockenson could be the option, but they go with a guy who can fluctuate on the dline with Gary as he can play both DT and DE in a 4-3 defense. He will replace Malik Jackson this year and possibly replace Yannick as he is expecting a big pay day next offseason. Either way he is a long term answer on the dline they will need to revamp with so many guys needing new contracts in 2020 offseason (Ramsey, Yannick, Dareus)
8. Lions Montez Sweat or Brian Burns will be the pick

The other option I see is Jets going Allen like everyone is expecting, Haskins goes to Giants, Oliver goes to Jags or Lions while Gary goes to the other team.  Which still leaves the bills with all 3 olineman on the board and Jones, Lock available. 

15 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

If the Bills move back into the teens then Metcalf, Fant, Risner, Lindstrom and Wilkins become my top choices.

Lets say the bills do move down from 9 to 14-17 as those are the teams who have rumored interest of moving up.....If Hockenson has yet to be picked which team would select him before the bills pick? I would be surprised if teams like Bengals, Falcons, and Dolphins take him. Green bay might at 12 but that is simply a luxury as they have jimmy graham and have other needs to fill right away. So the idea of hockenson may be there even if they do trade back to one of the several teams looking to move up unless a team in the 20s want him to jump ahead of bills

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Lets say the bills do move down from 9 to 14-17 as those are the teams who have rumored interest of moving up.....If Hockenson has yet to be picked which team would select him before the bills pick? I would be surprised if teams like Bengals, Falcons, and Dolphins take him. Green bay might at 12 but that is simply a luxury as they have jimmy graham and have other needs to fill right away. So the idea of hockenson may be there even if they do trade back to one of the several teams looking to move up unless a team in the 20s want him to jump ahead of bills

I may be alone on this but if Hockenson is there at 9 I don't trade back. Maybe if its for a their 1st, 2nd and a 4th but I don't see the Panthers or the other teams rumored to be coming up giving up that much for just a few selections. 

14 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

How much does Clowney cost now that we’ve seen what Frank Clark was traded for?

My guess is at least a first round pick or two 2nds if the team picks high in the 2nd. 

Whatever it is, I want nothing to do with him given his injury history & likely 5 year, 100mil contract demand.