What I think Happens Mock

WindyCity

3[87] TE Josh Oliver [San Jose St] 6'5" 249lbs, 4.63[40], 22 reps, 34", 9'9 broad

The lack of a 2nd passing game weapon at TE is holding the offense back and when Burton was out it was downright crippling. The Bears can believe that Shaheen will develop, but they cannot rely on that based on what we have seen and his injury history. The Bears need a player who is athletic enough for defense to account for in the passing game and that can threaten the defense enough that they actually cover him. Oliver has the size to compete at the inline TE and the athletic ability to fill in the flex position. He gives the Bears a player who based on athletic ability can threaten the seam and vertically, which will open up things underneath. In 2018, Oliver averages 12.7 YPC and showed that he can generate big plays and YAC, something Shaheen just has not shown that he can do. Best case scenario is that Oliver and Shaheen both play well and perhaps you can save 8 million in the future on Burton.

sjm-sjsufbc-0917-02.jpg?w=554

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 4[126] to the New England Patriots for 4[134] and 6[205]. The Bears and Patriots have made a ton of trades and the Patriots have too many picks to actually make so they will be active in he draft. Pace can recoup picks, which we know he likes to do.

4[134] RB Ryquell Armstead [Temple] 5'11" 215lbs, 

I think that the Bears are going to take a RB with one of their top 2 picks as they need someone who can take some reps and who has some upside to step in for Davis if he is injured. I would personally take Dexter Williams or Devine Ozigbo, but it is hard not to trust Dane Brugler when he says that the Bears are really high on Armstead and that they had a great private workout. Armstead has size and power, that is obvious on tape, he also has some long speed that Howard was missing. He just does not consistently show the big play flare. On one play he looks like he runs a 4.45 and the next he looks like a 4.65 guy. The Bears need someone who can handle some pounding and some power situations and Armstead is built for that. I wish we would have seen him catching more passes in college, but that is something that only teams that workout him out will get to see.

USATSI_11572251_168386155_lowres.jpg?ito

5[162] CB Corey Ballentine [Washburn] 5'11" 196lbs, 4.47 [40], 15 reps, 39.5" vert, 11'3" broad

The Bears need CB depth and they probably need to replace Prince in 2020 for cap reasons. We know that Pace likes the small schoolers on day 3 and he has drafted a couple of small school DBs in the past. Ballentine may lack top end experience, but he has NFL athletic ability and he has the size and thick build that the Bears seem to like. Ballentine can come in and backup, play special teams, where he returned kicks and blocked 3 kicks last season, and develop as an outside CB. Ballentine had 3 picks last season, so he has flashed the ball skills that can keep the Bears defense turning the ball over. Ballentine was a multi sport athlete at Washburn, running track, and most important he has man coverage long speed.

BallentineWeb.jpg

6[205] S Darius West [Kentucky] 5'11" 209lbs, 4.39 [40], 19 reps, 33.5" vert, 9'5" broad

The Bears seem set at safety in 2019, but they need help on special teams and they need to start developing someone for 2020. HHCD is a free agent an unlikely to fit into the Bears budget. Bush will be a free agent and probably looking to start somewhere. The Bears can add West who has a nice athletic, size and play style profile for the SS spot. West had 47 tackles, 3 INTs, and a FF last season, which is pretty good ball production for a SS. He has experience close to the line of scrimmage and has the tools for the Bears to develop. In 2019 West can be a core special teamer, before competing to start in 2020.

Darius+West+Kentucky+v+Mississippi+State

7[222] K Matt Gay [Utah] 6' 230lbs.

I know the Bears could wait to UDFA to add a kicker, but my concern is that opens you up to 32 other teams bidding on and recruiting your guy. Gay is the guy I think the Bears should target. He has a big leg, has been accurate in his career, and has kicked in the weather in Utah. He was 84% last season on his FG attempts, with a long of 55. he was 3/5 on 50+ yard FG attempts and 7/10 on 40+ yard attempts and missed 0 kicks from inside of 40 yards. Gay can come in and compete with Redford Jones, the winner is the kicker and the loser goes to the PR squad in case the winner struggles and needs to be replaced.

7935796.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

7[238] OG Matt Kaskey [Dartmouth] 6'6" 325lbs.

I think that is essential that the Bears give a young player to Heistand every year to develop. When you have a positional coach with his resume there should be a constant stream of developmental talent into their room. Kaskey is a small school OT that should be moved to OG and developed, something both NO an KC have done in the past. Kaskey is apparently a popular player in the scouting community and someone the Bears have had a private workout with. He is also an Illinois native and would be coming home to play for the Bears. He has the size and length that the Bears could use at OG.

1_matt_kaskey4_pen18_tm.jpg?itok=3S6DUbt

• Like 1

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Daniel
RB: Davis, Armstead, Cohen, Nall
WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Wims, Patterson, Hall
TE: Burton, Shaheen, Oliver, Braunecker
LT: Leno, Sowell
LG: Daniel
C: Whitehair, Larsen
RG: Long, Kaskey[PR]
RT: Massie, Coward

RE: RRH, Bullard
NT: Goldman, Nichols
LE: Hicks, Williams
OLB: Floyd, Lynch, Fitts
ILB: Smith, Iggy
ILB: Trevathan, Kwitkowski
OLB: Mack, Irving
CB: Fuller, Prince, Skrine,Ballentine, Tolliver, McManis
FS: Jackson, DHC
SS: HHCD, Bush, West

K: Blewitt/Jones/Gay
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

Tough to comment beyond the first two picks.

I like Oliver more than others for the reasons described.

If we trade down in four a back like Armstead is probably as good as we can hope to get so my question would be is does the 6th round player we get offer enough to pass up a better RB?

If we can't trade back and get Oliver or another TE with similar traits and depending on what the board looks like as round four begins I'd see Pace actually trading up for his RB more than trading back for a 6th round pick.

But it's his show and if Armstead can catch and is coachable he's and OK pick for that late.  When he can break free he's got some wheels.

Love Oliver and Ballentine. Ballentine especially is my favorite CB for Day 2/3.

Armstead is not my guy at RB but can see why you did that if there is a strong link. 

I don’t think we spend a pick at K - think it’s possible we double dip RB or even go WR to keep throwing potential at this offense. 

• Like 1

I’d be fine with this. Not thrilled, but fine. I like Ballentine quite a bit and while I wouldn’t draft a kicker with 3 already rostered if we did it would be Gay and where you’re taking him here so I’m good with that. I like the developmental lineman late too.

Not a fan of Armstead mostly because I think there are serious questions about his receiving ability, and if he can’t catch then he only adds back the predictability that seemingly left with Howard last month. As a runner I’m good with him - I just question his role over other RBs likely available around that selection. I don’t have a problem drafting a TE and I like Oliver. The problem I have taking a TE at 87 is that if Shaheen plays like he looked all of camp and in the one game before he suffered a severe ankle injury then we’re using our 3rd round pick on a guy only likely to see significant reps in 2019 if injury arises. Especially given our goals THIS year I think that’d be a mistake. I also think with the addition of a more established and versatile WR4 in Patterson, Wims on year 2, year 2 of the offense for everyone plus the addition of a primary RB (and maybe another this weekend) who is an actual asset in the passing game that we are FAR better equipped to handle an absence by Burton (or any other receiver really) than we were in the WC game last year.