Furey's49ers Mock 4/23

Fureys49ers

A couple days before round 1 begins fellas and with most of the offseason, as far as new additions to teams goes, over and done with we are down to the draft. I'll be honest, I'm not really sure of what to make with what Arizona is going to do at 1 and how that will affect our selection at 2, or who we select at 2, or if we stay at 2. This 2019 draft has the potential to be a whole lot of fun and I for one can not wait. Anyways, here's kind of a dream draft for myself at this point with many of my draft crushes who I feel would best at talent and depth to positions in need. Obviously with only 6 selections we can't address them all but I tried to address the areas of higher importance, or so that I feel.

1st - Quinnen Williams, DT - I know many of you aren't as high on QW joining our club because of the amount of bodies we already have on IDL. My stance from the beginning in regards to QW being our pick is you don't pass up elite talent because you a bunch of "depth/role players" and/or practice squad guys at that position. Buckner showed great ability last year and will receive even more attention from opposing OLs this year so pairing him with a monster like QW who will play the NT role in our scheme as he often did at Bama will do both wonders and allow them to thrive. Now I'm aware that we also have Armstead (who I think plays big DE in our scheme on base downs with the ability to shift inside on pass downs) and Thomas (who should see a lot more time on the inside in passing downs and may even get run at LEO on obvious run/early downs) but with them included no one even close to QW's talent and ability. Day, Taylor, Street, Jones and whoever else may be there can fill out the depth chart where needed, but I have a hard time convincing myself that we are set there because any of those names already on our roster, Armstead (on the last year of his deal) and Thomas included. QW took over games last year for Bama and was a one man wrecking crew, the one knock I have on him is he appeared to wear down at points late in a game and towards the end of the season. This big man never came off the field so that only makes sense. Beautiful part about how are roster is constructed right now is we don't need to keep QW on the field every down, we can allow him breathers throughout the game to keep his disrupting and big play tendencies at a high level, at least for this year until he gets his "sea legs" under him and adapts to the NFL schedule and physical demands. The kid is only 21 years old as well and already dominates on the field, in my eyes the sky is the limit with him and paired with DeFo we could potentially have ourselves the best IDL combo in the league for many years. In a division where there are two all league RBs (DJ and Gurley) and a team who might actually run the ball every down if they could get away with it in the Seahawks, it is extremely important for our defense to shut that aspect of opposing offenses down, QW goes a long way in that regard.

2nd - Chase Winovich, EDGE - Has been a draft crush of mine since the beginning of the college season when his motor and tenacity on the field really caught my eye. Then he went and tested like a very good athlete at the combine and his film becomes a little clearer to me. It's not just his drive and determination to be involved in every play but also his quickness and athletic ability that lends its hand to him being all over the place. For me, Winovich isn't your typical "try hard college ball player who's productive", he for sure has that aspect to his game but there are tools beyond that to work with and athletic ability for that production to continue on Sundays. Winovich could come in for us and man the SAM spot on base downs and EDGE spot opposite Ford on obvious passing downs or sub packages and I would feel very comfortable with him seeing the field often and early with his football IQ and high motor he brings to the table every play.

3rd - Kelvin Harmon, WR - Another one of my draft crushes since early on in the season. Love the way this kid plays with his physicality before and after the catch, aggressiveness in going and getting the football and the size he possesses. I know there are concerns over his speed and ability to separate. Speed will never be a part of his game, his game doesn't cater towards it anyhow. However his separation skills could, can and will improve greatly as soon as Welker and Shanny get their hands on him and begin to teach him how to use his hands. When releasing from the line as well as when the ball is in the air. Harmon up to this point in his career has gotten by mostly by being comfortable and able to make the tough, in traffic catches through sheer will and strength but doesn't use his hands all that well in the two areas I mentioned earlier. Coach him up on that aspect of the game as well as some little subtleties and nuances to route running and I think Shanny has his new Sanu in our offense with much greater potential. Not to mention his size at 6'3" 215 lbs is a welcome change on our WR depth chart.

4th - Phil Haynes, C/OG - A four year starter at Wake Forest who has spent time at RT, RG and LG throughout his career. His game translates well to the C position in the NFL as well and everything I have read or found on him talks about his durability and leadership which are fantastic and needed qualities on the interior of our OL. I see his game translating well to C in the NFL because while he's not completely inept as a mover or in space he's not as fluid as one might like to see when reach blocking or pulling. However he has a very good first punch, leg drive, anchor ability and recovery technique to get push in the middle as well as hold his ground against a bull rush which is everything that Richburg lacks as our starting Center right now.

6th - Jake Bailey, P - Sure, why not, at least it's not a 4th.

6th - Isaac Nauta, TE - Nauta didn't test nearly as well as most thought he would during the combine and already being on the smaller side for an inline TE at 6'3" 250 lbs I think his stock takes a bit of hit. This is great news for us as we aren't in need of a mismatch, move TE (remember that dude named Kittle?) but are in need of an all around TE who can compliment Kittle's game and be a reliable target and/or blocker when called upon. Celek is in the last year of his contract and Nauta could be brought along slowly and given time to adjust to the NFL for a year before taking over as our TE 2. What Nauta does bring is reliable hands, route running and zone understanding enough to get open and provide an outlet target for his QB, gets after it as a blocker and has a feel for positioning himself to either cut-off or meet secondary players at a spot when reaching the second level as a blocker. Better coaching in regards to technique and leverage will help him over come his slightly smaller size but the skill and will is there with plenty of practice and familiarity with it already having played for Georgia and their great rushing attack.

QB - Garoppolo, Mullens, Beathard

RB - Coleman, Breida, McKinnon, Mostert, Juszczyk

WR - Pettis, Goodwin, Harmon, James, Matthews, Taylor

TE - Kittle, Celek, Nauta

OT - Staley, McGlinchey, Coleman

OG - Tomlinson, Person, Garnett

C - Richburg, Haynes

EDGE - Ford, Moore, Winovich, Blair, Thomas, Watson

IDL - Buckner, Williams, Armstead, Jones, Taylor

LB - Warner, Alexander, Smith, Mayo

CB - Sherman, Witherspoon, Moore, Verrett, Williams, Reed

S - Ward, Tartt, Harris, Colbert

Have at...

I like picks 2, 3 and 4 but they seem a little early in the rounds.  Could maybe get them a little later on day 3?  Winovich round 3, Harmon and Haynes might even reach round 5?  Agree with you about getting Quinnen Williams if the Cards don't grab him with the first pick.  I am worried about Bosa's injury record.  We already have enough players with torn ACLs on the roster.  Would love us to trade the 2nd overall and get more picks, but still get Williams at number 4.  Highly unlikely, but you never know.  You obviously put a lot of thought into this, so thanks and well done.

1 hour ago, uk9erfan said:

I like picks 2, 3 and 4 but they seem a little early in the rounds.  Could maybe get them a little later on day 3?  Winovich round 3, Harmon and Haynes might even reach round 5?  Agree with you about getting Quinnen Williams if the Cards don't grab him with the first pick.  I am worried about Bosa's injury record.  We already have enough players with torn ACLs on the roster.  Would love us to trade the 2nd overall and get more picks, but still get Williams at number 4.  Highly unlikely, but you never know.  You obviously put a lot of thought into this, so thanks and well done.

What is this with people thinking it was his knee?! Last year's injury was a 'core muscle tear'--his groin, folks! It took surgery to repair it.

ACL was back in high school for him.

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

What is this with people thinking it was his knee?! Last year's injury was a 'core muscle tear'--his groin, folks! It took surgery to repair it.

ACL was back in high school for him.

Hey Chris, I didn't really mean his knee even though I referenced ACLs - it was just his injury record.  I meant that we have enough folks on IR or in recovery from injury without having the potential top pick in our draft joining them.

I've come to terms with Williams being the pick, though its not my 1st choice (closer to 6th) but i'll accept I could be wrong on my evaluation of him being a good prospect versus an All Time Great like many seem to think he is. If he is the latter its a smart pick, but the DL rotation looks like its going to be pretty hectic in 2019, 2020 and onward it'll be fine and I'd expect QW to play a lot of 1 tech in 2019 on this team. 

Winovich worries me cause he's already 24, not really a fan of older prospects or the value of him @ pick #36, but he does have the SAM position qualities I like so I like that hole is filled. 

Everything else I'm pretty good with, Harmon is a bit of a body catcher but he's worth a shot in the 3rd. Lets hope that punter can kick too. 

My least favorite option at #2 is Williams and I think it's such a mistake to ignore the edge spot in the first. Great edge guys are hard to get and there are two available. A great edge player improves our defense more than a great interior player, because the difference in improvement from Blair to Bosa/Allen is much greater than from Thomas/Armstead to Williams. And honestly, I think it's just as likely that Bosa and Allen become elite. 

That said, Williams is an incredible talent and if the team wants to move past Thomas already then it's not like we are getting a prospect I don't like in a vacuum. Williams is my #3 prospect in overall talent behind Bosa and Allen. I will gladly cheer him on once he's on the field. And if he can become that elite player, then he, Buckner, and Ford will be a nightmare pass rush. 

I like that you addressed edge next with Winovich, and I like Winovich as a player, but I will come away ultimately disappointed if that's the largest improvement to our edge rush. Harmon would be my favorite pick of the draft and I think is a great choice in the third.

Haynes is a pick I could get behind in the 4th, and I get Bailey in the 6th. I would personally have a philosophy to always fulfill the K/P positions in free agency as there seems to be no real rhyme or reason to whether top prospects work out or not. But the 6th is the earliest I would be okay with drafting one. Can't complain. Nauta is not a bad 6th round pick. Would love Foster Moreau if available then. 

Overall, I think you improved the roster and depth, but I don't know if anyone other than Williams impacts the team in a major way in 2019. It's also disappointing that the most suspect area on the roster (defensive backfield) isn't addressed at all. But there's no player I wouldn't like. I think I would just be underwhelmed. 

Archived