Jacoby Brissett - on the bubble?

Deadpulse

There’s been some speculation over Jacoby Brissett’s viability as a third quarterback on the 53-man roster. The feeling here is that Brissett is safe because the Patriots have been concerned about the future of the position if anything ever happens to Tom Brady — hence, a major part of the reason they held onto Jimmy Garoppolo — and because they spent a third-round pick on a guy they liked very much a year ago. Brissett, who has been prepped to start tonight, has shown improvements this summer, though there are clearly still flaws in his game with the high, troublesome throws. It’s far too early to know whether or not he can be a franchise quarterback, but there are likable qualities. Then again, if Belichick has doubts over Brissett’s ceiling, and the Pats need a spot due to their rash of special teams injuries, maybe the unexpected will indeed occur and they’d part ways. The Patriots would have to expect Brissett won’t clear waivers, so such a decision would likely spell the end of his tenure here. Again, a release doesn’t seem like the probable outcome this weekend from this viewpoint, but the idea has gained enough traction that it’s worth wondering if this is Brissett’s last stand.

I could see it. I was never too impressed with Brissett, but it's obviously still early in his development and there's a lot of uncertainty at the position with JGs contract and to a lesser extent Brady's age. He should stick ultimately I think.

I think the fact that they activated him from IR last year hints that they'd like him on the roster as long as they can. The thumb injury last year was a comfortable excuse to free up a roster spot, which they gave back to him the first chance they got. Though I see no reason for him to play this year (fingers crossed, knock on wood, whatever), I'd like to see him at least for one more year to see where how he can improve.

15 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

I thought he sucked last year and got overrated because he won a game against the Texans in which they completely imploded and the STs/D dominated the Texans.

I don't see how you can say he sucked last year? The guy was thrown into an unfortunate situation as a rookie and was not expected to play at all. All pre-season and camp, he hardly got any reps because 1) Brady wanted to get as many as possible with him being forced to sit out 4-weeks and then 2) Jimmy preparing for the first 4 weeks of the season. I thought he showed just about as much as you could given the circumstances.

18 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

It doesn't matter the circumstances.  Maybe you can give him a pass because of it, but I thought his play was awful-mediocre last year.  He took too long in the pocket, he had trouble going through reads, he had no touch - he just laser beamed everything in, and he was inaccurate.  On top of that he had turnover problems.  That I'll give him a slight pass on because of his thumb (?) but still.  He was bad in the Texans game and it's just the Patriots didn't completely obliterate the Bills in every way except QB play the next week so they lost.

The Texans game he was bad? He was 11/19 for 106 yards and ran for almost 50 yards and a TD. Didn't turn the ball over once. I don't see how anyone could say he was bad in the Houston game. Not sure what game you were watching.

He played hurt in the Miami game.

I'd argue he's looked better in the early stages of his career than Jimmy did.

2 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

That's just a cop out.  There have been lots of rookie QBs in their first start.  Jacoby was asked to do pretty much nothing that entire game.

Even though Jimmy has had time in the system, he was still in his first start and the playbook was completely open for him.  Just compare what the two offenses did and how they looked doing it.  It's not even the same universe.   Even accounting for the difference in time learning the playbook, they were worlds apart.

Are you pretending like that wasn't Jimmy's third year in the league and he didn't get the entire summer to prepare for a starting position? Or are you simply mitigating those facts because they don't suit you? Brissett hardly got reps in TC. 

A rookie 3rd rounder didn't have down what is likely one of the NFL's more complicated offensive playbook? Dude sucked! 

Looking at the context of the situation (I.e.: the facts), Brissett did a fine job in his spot duty. He did about as well as one could reasonably expect him to do under all the conditions. How many other 3rd string QBs do you expect to come in and win against a playoff team?

10 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Jacoby sucked.  It does not matter how long you've known the playbook if you miss wide open receivers or can only lazer beam throws 100MPH.  

Jacoby was a worse version of Kaepernick last year.  He's got physical tools and probably will improve, but last year he absolutely sucked and no matter how many qualifiers or excuses you want to make, the bottom line is his actual performance which sucked. 

And no, he didn't play with what was one of the NFLs most complicated playbooks.  The Patriots threw out 80% of the playbook when Jimmy went down and Brissett went in.  He was asked to do nothing but dump offs and the occasional designed one read deep throw.   He wasn't asked to do anything but not turn the ball over that game.

Rewatch the game.  He sucked. 

I said he didn't have the playbook down, read carefully. You're praising Garoppolo when he's spent 3 years in the league and Brissett was a third round rookie with minimal TC reps. You can blindly watch all you want, I'll look at the context.

On 9/1/2017 at 8:52 AM, 1ForTheThumb said:

Dude, he was a rookie QB who was thrown into the fire due to an injury making his first career NFL Start, you're surprised they didn't open up the whole play book?

He looked great given the circumstances. Sounds like you have some ridiculous expectations .

So what. Brady only had one year under his belt as a back up where he probably never got reps because he was a 4th string QB for most of it when he was forced to start on an 0-2 team coming off a 5-11 season and he..... went 11-3 and won the Super Bowl. 

Plenty of rookie QB's have played very well. Brisett benefitted from his defense shutting out a team with no QB, and then getting shut out by a team Brady beat the bricks off of 

Archived