Days Gone

MacReady

All PS exclusives are seemingly great titles (Horizon easily being my favorite). I've been waiting for this one for a damn long time and I'm glad I have. They obviously saw they had a product that they didn't deem fit to release so they pulled back and made it right. Things I wish FF XV would've done. I won't pay for this out of the gate but I am certain it will be my next purchase once people are done w/ it and selling it cheaper. Looking forward to seeing people's reviews tomorrow or Thursday, whenever they are released them.

Edited by JTagg7754

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The fact they aren’t allowing game reviews to be posted until now is a HUGE flag imo. Sucks because I was looking forward to this Sony rarely whiffs on exclusive content.   But the signs here shouldn’t be ignored.  

This game tanked it looks like - super disappointing after waiting so long for it be released. 

9 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

This game tanked it looks like - super disappointing after waiting so long for it be released. 

The problem is they decided to create a beautiful game, but in a world/genre that's saturated.   Zombie post-apocalyptic survival has been done...to death (yes I went there).

So the solution to be novel?  Quantity.  The sheer number of zombies is staggering.  Problem is, quantity rarely trumps quality.  The 2nd key design issue is that the open world format apparently creates a focus more on fetch quests to keep the game going.  I get that was meant to expand the story time...but it's a tricky balance - too much side questing, and you lose momentum.  And if the story/game mechanics aren't super-compelling, it's a kiss of death.

I know there are those that didn't get into Last of Us - but that's a prime example of quality over quantity.   Diverse battle strategies, and great storytelling and character development.   I also loved the emphasis on rewarding stealth.  And nothing was done simply as a fetch-quest - that's a huge problem with the open-world games we see.   Even Spiderman suffered from this, and from all accounts, instead of focusing on a diverse, entertaining experience - Days Gone went for overwhelming quantity, which leads to repetition.  Add in a ton of fetch quests....man, I know reviews can miss the mark, but that's a terrible formula for an exclusive title.

Edited by Broncofan

53 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The problem is they decided to create a beautiful game, but in a world/genre that's saturated.   Zombie post-apocalyptic survival has been done...to death (yes I went there).

So the solution to be novel?  Quantity.  The sheer number of zombies is staggering.  Problem is, quantity rarely trumps quality.  The 2nd key design issue is that the open world format apparently creates a focus more on fetch quests to keep the game going.  I get that was meant to expand the story time...but it's a tricky balance - too much side questing, and you lose momentum.  And if the story/game mechanics aren't super-compelling, it's a kiss of death.

I know there are those that didn't get into Last of Us - but that's a prime example of quality over quantity.   Diverse battle strategies, and great storytelling and character development.   I also loved the emphasis on rewarding stealth.  And nothing was done simply as a fetch-quest - that's a huge problem with the open-world games we see.   Even Spiderman suffered from this, and from all accounts, instead of focusing on a diverse, entertaining experience - Days Gone went for overwhelming quantity, which leads to repetition.  Add in a ton of fetch quests....man, I know reviews can miss the mark, but that's a terrible formula for an exclusive title.

I think Dead Rising did this well, but the game came out so long ago it probably felt fresh at the time. Even though it had a lot of side questing, it was still made cool because you could do things like give guns to people you're trying to rescue and watch them shoot zombies as you tried to lead them to safety, and none of it was scripted so they could actually die.

Most of these open world games are just lazy. 100% agreed on quality over quantity. Unless you're going to try to top games like BOTW and GTA, or have a completely different take on the genre, just don't make an open world game.

Edited by Mossburg

7 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I think Dead Rising did this well, but the game came out so long ago it probably felt fresh at the time. Even though it had a lot of side questing, it was still made cool because you could do things like give guns to people you're trying to rescue and watch them shoot zombies as you tried to lead them to safety, and none of it was scripted so they could actually die.

Most of these open world games are just lazy. 100% agreed on quality over quantity. Unless you're going to try to top games like BOTW and GTA, just don't make an open world game.

Yeah Dead Rising was the 1st to go this route - so they could get away with this.  And like you said, the side quests had actual impact.  Without spoiling, one of my beefs with Spiderman (I only have a couple, excellent game) - most of the side quests really didn't do much except raise Spidey's profile with the neighborhood.  Having someone live/die because of a side quest, that's a payoff that's worth it.  

Again though, Dead Rising was the 1st - so they get the freedom to go there.   At this stage of the genre, the graphics are amazing, but the gameplay concept is literally 4-5 years too late.

Went to get it last night. Gamestop told me you can no longer preorder after 6pm when theyre releasing at 9pm. I was there at 8:30. 

So saved 50 bucks by grabbing Watch Dogs 2 and let that keep me busy till Rage is released in a couple weeks.

This game seems like a great value game to get in the future. Expansion packs will be free, and one releasing in June. No microtransactions. So ill just wait and get when a couple of these expansions have come out so I dont finish the game, get tired of it and trade it in before its a complete game.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:45 AM, Mossburg said:

The reviews that I glanced through basically echoed a generic game, nothing terrible, nothing worth raving about, nothing new.

Skip for me.

I was watching someone play. He may have just gotten unlucky, but the load times were TERRIBLE like the first one was more than five minutes long I think. They weren't as long after, but it still loaded like a PS2 game (for the early stuff at least). Encountered a bug that forced him to restart a checkpoint which required him to listen to a rails cutscene again. And like you said, looks generic, but not even a well polished generic game lol. Fairly pretty though I guess.

Watched a few different streams of live gameplay on the PS4 and it def caught my intrigue. The bike physics, weather affects, stealth, degradation of weapons etc all seem to add in some nice Xfactors do deal with. Looked to me like the standard difficulty was just too easy though. Watched one girl get shot 4 times from a sniper in a tree and easily ran behind a rock and healed. Far Cry 5 had this issue for me. After a while I felt so godlike nothing was really a challenge. But overall looks like a fun game I'd enjoy. I'm not paying $60 for it though. 35-40 would be fair value from what I saw