Robbie Gould request trade

49erurtaza

Just trade him and start looking for our next kicker. There's no point in waiting, hoping he'll sign the tender, or maximize his trade value, or let him sit out a year. Just trade him, he doesn't want to re-sign here. Get a pick, go looking for the next option. Sign Bryant and let him fight it out with Brown, bring in an UDFA and go for it. I know having a reliable kicker is important, and games can be won or lost by a field goal, but if we're not going to have Gould more than one year anyway, let's just try to find his replacement now, and perhaps we'll strike... gold. Yes, I did that.

And if we lose a game by a field goal.. dammit, that's life. If anything, not having the luxury of a Gould, maybe we'll go with more aggressive play calls. Maybe the coaches and players will feel more urgency to move the chains and find the endzone. Our problem has often been of relying on kicking when we struggled in the redzone. Let's get better in the redzone, and maybe we won't feel the absence of a Gould as much.

• Like 4

I really like Ted Nguyen.

CAN WE PLEASE STOP FEEDING THE TROLL? Grant Cohn is either an incompetent buffoon or has an agenda against this team. EITHER WAY lets steer clear of that child

Serious question, which team is going to trade a pick to us for a kicker who clearly only has one destination in mind and is set to be paid 5 million? The bears wont give us any picks for him because:

A) They dont have very many draft picks and have very limited cap space and therefore require as much cheap labor as possible 

B) They know that Gould basically can tell other teams not to trade for him because he wont sign a LTD and that Gould only has one destination in mind

I would have thought that a team like the chargers, who have basically been cursed with kickers for the last 8 years and want to win a SB, but they seemed to have solved their kicking problems recently. 

Who else might trade a pick for a kicker who is set to make 5 million for one year? I mean, seriously. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

I really like Ted Nguyen.

I actually do as well. And his film work and talk is top notch on the athletic if you have a subscription. 

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

Serious question, which team is going to trade a pick to us for a kicker who clearly only has one destination in mind and is set to be paid 5 million? The bears wont give us any picks for him because:

A) They dont have very many draft picks and have very limited cap space and therefore require as much cheap labor as possible 

B) They know that Gould basically can tell other teams not to trade for him because he wont sign a LTD and that Gould only has one destination in mind

Bears and bears only. I have no problems with taking a 2020 pick, which they are fine on...in fact, I'd almost prefer it. Maybe we can get more value by waiting for a year. 

They likely wouldn't take him on at the franchise tag number. Like Ford and Clark, they'd work out the extension first. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Bears and bears only. I have no problems with taking a 2020 pick, which they are fine on...in fact, I'd almost prefer it. Maybe we can get more value by waiting for a year. 

They likely wouldn't take him on at the franchise tag number. Like Ford and Clark, they'd work out the extension first.

Yeah, he would probably be willing to take a discount there too. 

2020 conditional 6th that turns into a 5th if they make the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

Yeah, he would probably be willing to take a discount there too. 

2020 conditional 6th that turns into a 5th if they make the playoffs. 

I mentioned a 2020 6th in the bears forum as well. That's probably my bargain basement price - I'd shoot for a fifth. But either way, I'm fine with that kind of return. I just don't think that Gould has a long term future here, so I'm not broken up about it. Never thought he did, which was why I advocated for the tag for him in the first place. I really didn't want to give him a "long term" deal. 

So Kyle said tonight that they will not trade Gould. 

He said that Gould made it very clear that he didnt want to live in the Bay Area for the long term, and they respect that, but we used the franchise tag on him because we like him and think hes a great kicker and that Gould will be our kicker next year. They said they hope to work something out but that they have no concerns about him coming in 'unprepared'

Love it. Its basically what I said. Gould has no leverage and we have no reason to let him go. Let him kick another year on the tag.

Maybe we let him stay home for training camp or something. I mean, we are really talking about him being in the Bay Area from August to December (or January?) for 5 million dollars if he isnt in camp. Cry me a river of Gould

• Like 1