Robbie Gould requests trade

beardown3231

Not surprising after having spent three season away from Chicago.

So, will Pace get aggressive here and do some negotiating with John Lynch?  With three potentially draftable PKs he has an opportunity to replace him next weekend and possibly add to his picks.  My thinking is it's somewhat foolish to refuse and pay him $5 mil for one season only to lose him in 2020.

Our problem is we don't have much to offer in the way of 2019 picks but we're well stocked with 2020 picks.

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would offer a 2020 pick for him, but he has to come at a discount. If he wants 4/season he has to cut the Bears a break at like 3.25.

Being more realistic on the money side I think we'd be looking at $4 mil a year on average.  That would put him in line as a top five guy which he's earned.

The question is what would SF be asking for in trade?  If we can get him for a 2020 pick great.  If not Pace may have to decide whether or not the best PK in the NFL over the past three years is worth more than something like our 2019 5th.  Or we offer a 2019 7th with a 2020 pick.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

If I'm Pace I offer no more than a 7th round pick and Gould has to be willing to take less than the franchise tender  amount for kickers.

I agree 100%, I might offer the Howard-acquired pick in 2020 for him and then Gould would have to take a decent deal.

I know this all makes too much sense for him to come here, but it can't be completely on the 49ers' and Gould's terms.

• Like 2

I think this situation is pretty much the plot to Dane Cook’s Best Friends Girl movie where Dane cook takes girls on horrifically bad dates so they run back to the guy they broke up with. We all desperately wanted Robbie gone, figured he was washed up, replaced him with trash then he did the best he’s ever done while we lost (kinda) because of a kicker. I see parallels 

Honestly, I hope that we work something out with you guys and trade him to you. Gould is a good guy, and it's clear he just wants to "go home". I have no problems with players when they do that stuff. I don't think he's rebelling against the tag or anything, I think he just wants to be closer to the family and his year round home. I can't begrudge a guy like that.  A lot of 49er fans want to force him to sit, but I hate that. It's prickish for the sake of being prickish in my opinion. Trade him to your guys for a 2020 6th and I think everyone is largely happy. 

If not and we just rescind the tag, I'm good with that too...though obviously I want compensation :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyty said:

I think this situation is pretty much the plot to Dane Cook’s Best Friends Girl movie where Dane cook takes girls on horrifically bad dates so they run back to the guy they broke up with. We all desperately wanted Robbie gone, figured he was washed up, replaced him with trash then he did the best he’s ever done while we lost (kinda) because of a kicker. I see parallels 

And then watch him come here and go back to being average.

Sad part is, he was average here and even Gould would say that. He then went to NYG and they didn't even want him around.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

My offer is this:  Nothing.  Not even the fee for the gaming license which I would appreciate if Lynch paid personally.

LOLOL.....somebody better warn John Lynch to stay away from Nevada chicken ranches.

• Like 1

Gould can ask for this all he wants but unless he’s going to be okay passing up $250k a week near the tail end of his career come September (highly unlikely) this is all just talk. SF holds all the other cards here, and realistically adding a top UDFA kicker reasonably insulates them against Gould sitting anyway, especially if that player shows well in TC and the preseason.