Robbie Gould requests trade

beardown3231

37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Gould can ask for this all he wants but unless he’s going to be okay passing up $250k a week near the tail end of his career come September (highly unlikely) this is all just talk. SF holds all the other cards here, and realistically adding a top UDFA kicker reasonably insulates them against Gould sitting anyway, especially if that player shows well in TC and the preseason. 

He won't sit out.  He'll play on year under his tag for $5 mil and move on.  That's $1 mil more than he got for two years on his initial deal with SF.

SF may seem to hold a winning hand at the moment but long term it's not. Pace has talked about this before as well.  The goal is to extend the negotiation period and get a longer term deal done not pay a guy a tag amount for one season then watch him move on like AJ did with us.  We got doo doo outta that deal.

Robbie is playing this pretty well.  With the draft coming he's telling Lynch trade me now, add a pick, then draft a PK and save yourself some money.  If Lynch refuses he's in the same boat next year and to tag him again will cost him $6 mil.  So it's unlikely Lynch would do that. If he drafts a PK whose any good and much cheaper why keep Robbie?

Then all he's left with is to rescind the tag and try to trade him then when Robbie's trade value won't be as high as it is right now.  Or he simply releases him and gets nada.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soulman said:

He won't sit out.  He'll play on year under his tag for $5 mil and move on.  That's $1 mil more than he got for two years on his initial deal with SF.

SF may seem to hold a winning hand at the moment but long term it's not. Pace has talked about this before as well.  The goal is to extend the negotiation period and get a longer term deal done not pay a guy a tag amount for one season then watch him move on like AJ did with us.  We got doo doo outta that deal.

Robbie is playing this pretty well.  With the draft coming he's telling Lynch trade me now, add a pick, then draft a PK and save yourself some money.  If Lynch refuses he's in the same boat next year and to tag him again will cost him $6 mil.  So it's unlikely Lynch would do that. If he drafts a PK whose any good and much cheaper why keep Robbie?

Then all he's left with is to rescind the tag and try to trade him then when Robbie's trade value won't be as high as it is right now.  Or he simply releases him and gets nada.

I don’t think the 2019 money matters. The use of the cap at all suggests as much, but also the 49ers are 8-figures under the cap even with Gould at the tag number. I don’t think Lynch is looking to commit to significant guarantees to Gould beyond 2019 at this point. Gould is 37 years old, and while kickers have kicked well into their 40s well many also fall off right where Gould is at, and if Lynch is willing to pay a premium this and maybe even next year to insulate himself against a Parkey dead money type situation while keeping what is now a top 5 kicker then good for him. I suspect that’s the biggest hang up in negotiation. Also, while we got nothing when Alshon left the similarities between their situations end with the involvement of the tag. Alshon was a mid-20s WR in his early part of his athletic prime. Gould is an aging kicker. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think the 2019 money matters. The use of the cap at all suggests as much, but also the 49ers are 8-figures under the cap even with Gould at the tag number. I don’t think Lynch is looking to commit to significant guarantees to Gould beyond 2019 at this point. Gould is 37 years old, and while kickers have kicked well into their 40s well many also fall off right where Gould is at, and if Lynch is willing to pay a premium this and maybe even next year to insulate himself against a Parkey dead money type situation while keeping what is now a top 5 kicker then good for him. I suspect that’s the biggest hang up in negotiation. Also, while we got nothing when Alshon left the similarities between their situations end with the involvement of the tag. Alshon was a mid-20s WR in his early part of his athletic prime. Gould is an aging kicker. 

Meh....I'm not worried at all about his age.  That can be dealt with in negotiations.  He knows how to kick in Soldier Field and that's what counts right now.  If Robbie wants back in Chicago he also needs to be willing to agree to a cap friendly deal with a backdoor if his accuracy falters.

Vinateri is 46 and still hitting on 85% + of his kicks. Gostkowski is 35 and hitting 87% +.   Morton Anderson was 47 when he retired and still hitting 86% +.  Robbie is 36 and hitting on 97% of his FGs over the past three years.  Even if he fell to 90% he'd still be a top PK.

I think it all depends on how badly Pace wants him back and what he'll spend on a contract and trade booty.  If he's true to his word and leaving no stone unturned then the topic has to at least have come up or at least I hope it would. 

Everyone around here seems to feel we need a PK we can depend on and no PK in the NFL has been more accurate than he's been these past three years and all three kicking in outdoor stadiums in cold and/or windy environments.

Seem to me that IF Lynch is prepared to let him go Pace has a tough decision to make.  Does he want to chance it with the guys he has and a possible addition in the draft or UDFA or does he want to lock it up with someone more experienced?

I'll just toss this into the bin for some further discussion.  It's furthering Robbie's reasoning for wanting out.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ravens-announce-fouryear-contract-extension-with-justin-tucker-151959783.html

Ravens, Justin Tucker agree to record-setting contract extension

Yahoo Sports Shalise Manza Young,Yahoo Sports 1 hour 8 minutes ago

Justin Tucker is the most accurate kicker in NFL history, so it only makes sense that he’d be the highest-paid kicker in NFL history.

On Wednesday, the Baltimore Ravens announced that they’d agreed to a four-year extension with Tucker that will keep him with the team through 2023.

Record-setting money

All hail the king: the Baltimore Ravens and Justin Tucker agreed to a four-year extension that's the richest for a kicker in league history. (AP) All hail the king: the Baltimore Ravens and Justin Tucker agreed to a four-year extension that's the richest for a kicker in league history. (AP)

ESPN’s Adam Schefter tweeted that Tucker’s contract is for $23.05 million and includes $12.5 million fully guaranteed in the first two years and an $8 million signing bonus.

Those figures are all records for a player at the position.

Stephen Gostkowski of the New England Patriots held the previous record; in 2015, Gostkowski agreed to a four-year, $17.2 million contract with $10.1 million in guarantees.

Gostkowski played out that deal, and after a few weeks as a free agent, agreed to a two-year, $8.5 million contract with New England earlier this month.

Record-setting kicker

Undrafted out of Texas in 2012, Tucker is the most accurate kicker in league history, and by a comfortable margin: he’s made 90.114 percent of his 263 career field-goal tries; Robbie Gould and Gostkowski are second and third but separated by a hair, at 87.745 and 87.381 percent respectively.

Last year Tucker was 35-of-39 on field goal attempts and missed the first extra point of his career, making 36-of-37.

13 hours ago, soulman said:

Seem to me that IF Lynch is prepared to let him go Pace has a tough decision to make.  Does he want to chance it with the guys he has and a possible addition in the draft or UDFA or does he want to lock it up with someone more experienced?

That’s just it - Lynch has ZEEEEEEEERO reason to let him go, and even if he does he’s not trading him away for a dump job. He’s a highly reliable veteran kicker who should have at least a few top years left in him. Those guys are few and far between, and because of that I’d be surprised if he gave him up for anything less than a mid round pick. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s just it - Lynch has ZEEEEEEEERO reason to let him go, and even if he does he’s not trading him away for a dump job. He’s a highly reliable veteran kicker who should have at least a few top years left in him. Those guys are few and far between, and because of that I’d be surprised if he gave him up for anything less than a mid round pick. 

Well as it stands both sides are playing hardball.  Lynch claims he won't trade him and Robbie say he'll just remain in Chicago working out on his own until the opener.  Lynch says that's fine with him.

I agree with you.  He could have many top years left in him if he stays in shape and motivated.  But my feeling is none of those beyond 2019 will be spent playing in SF and even 2019 is up in the air.

Anyway you stack it that is not a real healthy situation to be in for SF and after Tucker's new deal Robbie now has that to bargain with and it's a 4 year extension for $20 mil and change so right at the tag cost.

I guess if Robbie feels he doesn't want to kick in SF for several more years under a longer term deal he may as well collect his $5 mil, have another 90% plus year and hit FA in 2020 when he might do even better.

We have 3 prospects now and maybe a 4th by next week of which two will make camp.  So we push on as is for now and see what happens.

• Like 1