Chiefs trade for Seahawks Frank Clark

49erurtaza

20 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

TL:DR; Yes he's a good player, yes he will help - but relative to other areas, it wasn't a big need and the secondary absolutely is (currently relying on journeyman signing Bashaud Breeland and 2018 undrafted free agent (and trade acquisition) Charvarius Ward on the outside of Kendall Fuller in their nickel defense.  ) - and at pick 29 they would have some good options to take there (Baker, Williams, Murphy, Ya Sin etc).

Not terrible, but really good for Seattle

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

TL:DR; Yes he's a good player, yes he will help - but relative to other areas, it wasn't a big need and the secondary absolutely is (currently relying on journeyman signing Bashaud Breeland and 2018 undrafted free agent (and trade acquisition) Charvarius Ward on the outside of Kendall Fuller in their nickel defense.  ) - and at pick 29 they would have some good options to take there (Baker, Williams, Murphy, Ya Sin etc).

Not terrible, but really good for Seattle

I'm not really seeing how those secondary players are any better than ones we can find in the 2nd

Winners of a trade aren't really found for a few more years anyways lol

Edited by Chiefer

5 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Which deals are those?

Watkins and Mathieu have outs before year 3. Hitchens after year 3. And those are the only big deals we've handed out.

The Clark contract looks similar, a 3 year deal with possible outs at that point.

• Like 1

Both teams got what they wanted.

Seattle got a good return. Clarks 18-20 million was too much to stomach after Russells extension and Bobby's future extension. Allows for more wiggle room for Jarran Reeds potential future extension. Ifedi will also be moving into the last year of his contract as well. Seattle is obviously continuing to overhaul the roster. With the future 2nd and potentially 4-5 comp picks next year, Seattle will be looking good on surrounding Russell with low cost talent moving into the 2020's.

Kansas City knows their window is now. As long as you have a Good QB on a rookie contract, you go balls to the wall. Frank Clark is a beast. 20 million per year is easily tolerable considering his level of play, and what it could mean for this defense. Clark off the edge gets you closer to a Super Bowl in 2019-2020 than two lottery picks.

• Like 1

I think I like Clark, even with the high price we paid, over Dee Ford with the switch to a 4-3.  But I'd rather kept J Houston with no dead money and not give up draft picks.   How is Clark that much better then J Houston???

4 hours ago, Piquel said:

I think I like Clark, even with the high price we paid, over Dee Ford with the switch to a 4-3.  But I'd rather kept J Houston with no dead money and not give up draft picks.   How is Clark that much better then J Houston???

I’m guessing age played a part as well. After the large extension Clark got he’d be as old as Houston is today 

19 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

People are saying the Chiefs gave up a lot, but if he ends up having a career in KC like Jared Allen had in Minnesota after we traded for him, nobody will be worrying about the price they paid.  

I mean yeah, but that’s an awfully high bar to set to deem a trade a success or the cost irrelevant.

Allen didn’t miss a game and racked up 85.5 sacks in 6 years win Minny.  Odds are Clark doesn’t match those numbers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Watkins and Mathieu have outs before year 3. Hitchens after year 3. And those are the only big deals we've handed out.

The Clark contract looks similar, a 3 year deal with possible outs at that point.

Yup

We got an out in 2022 if necessary