Chiefs trade for Seahawks Frank Clark

49erurtaza

Just now, Broncofan said:

IIRC, when he was drafted, he was seen as a 3-4 fit.   As KC is moving to a 4-3, he wasn't going to hold up as well.  

Still, that's a huge price to upgrade, but at least there's some reasoning here.  It's just the price paid is very much above-market for the net effect IMO.

Yeah, Clark is an upgrade. But I am not sure the gap between the two is big enough to warrant giving up this much. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Because Frank Clark is Dee Ford but better at everything.

I would put more emphasis on that he's Dee Ford but more proven (Clark has produced more consistently and at a more sustained rate than Ford has) and arguably more diverse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

IIRC, when he was drafted, he was seen as a 3-4 EDGE fit.   As KC is moving to a 4-3, he wasn't going to hold up as well at DE.  

Still, that's a huge price to upgrade, but at least there's some reasoning here.  It's just the price paid is very much above-market for the net effect IMO.

Well dang, he will be playing in a 4-3 scheme in SF so looks like our front office didn't get the message lol.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well dang, he will be playing in a 4-3 scheme in SF so looks like our front office didn't get the message lol.

The scheme thing gets overblown. Everyone plays nickel these days,  so it doesn't really matter. 

Apparently another deal that was being discussed was the Jets offering #3 for Clark and #21.

Really?

If that is true, Seattle has to be all over that.

Edited by game3525

FWIW you can't accuse SEA of not getting max value....good lord at that offer to the Jets, easy to see why they said no (not that it's always gospel, but going from 3 to 21 is 1300 pts on the trade chart, while pick 29 is 680...and pick 29 plus a 2020 2nd at midrange is about 300+, which still seems steep at 1000 pts, let alone 1300+).

EDIT:  Dang, @The LBC covered this while I'm posting.  Rusty, carry on.
Edited by Broncofan

Just now, WindyCity said:

Is Frank Clark a 1st round pick better than Dee Ford?

It depends on how much you value stability.  I feel a helluvalot more secure paying Frank Clark top-dollar that he'll live up to the contract than I feel that way about Dee Ford.  So how much is that security worth to you would be the question?

• Like 5

Just now, game3525 said:

The scheme thing gets overblown. Everyone plays nickel these days,  so it doesn't really matter. 

I know, that's why it's funny. 70% of the time the team is going to be in their nickel package anyways, but the Chiefs clearly believe in Clark much more than they did Ford. Injury history for Ford probably made them hesitant in giving him a big deal. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I know, that's why it's funny. 70% of the time the team is going to be in their nickel package anyways, but the Chiefs clearly believe in Clark much more than they did Ford. Injury history for Ford probably made them hesitant in giving him a big deal. 

But Dee Ford can't play the run. Clark is a BEAST against the run. That's the biggest difference right there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, game3525 said:

Really?

If that is true, Seattle has to be all over that.

Seattle wanted multiple picks.  They were even willing to take a lower 1st in order to get multiple picks out of the deal.  And I don't blame them.  No reason not to trust their scouting which has proved good more times than not and get more bites at the apple.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

It depends on how much you value stability.  I feel a helluvalot more secure paying Frank Clark top-dollar that he'll live up to the contract than I feel that way about Dee Ford.  So how much is that security worth to you would be the question?

I am not sure I can put a dollar value on a 1st round pick. Especially with Clark's previous off field issues.