Frank Clark to Chiefs

Chiefs_5627

12 hours ago, UKChief said:

This didn’t age well, how do you feel now?

personally v happy with the way the board is looking for us on d2. Cb, oline and wr all have good depth in these next two rounds 

There will be a huge run on CB's early.

My take:

This is Spags' Strahan in KC. Chris Jones is an upgrade over what he had in NY with Justin Tuck, too. Then, once you factor in Nnadi/Saunders and a rotation of Okafor/Ogbah/Speaks, that's one hell of a D-line. In my humble opinion, we have fully transitioned to a solid 4-3 in one off-season, which I didn't think could be done. Say what you want about the compensation, but there's no way we could've obtained a guy of Clark's caliber at #29 OR packaging all the picks to trade up in this draft. No one in this draft offers the kind of upgrade Clark does and he's only 25 years old. I know I'm a minority in this opinion, but I freaking LOVE this move.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

It's early. And I do actually think he has performed better than the numbers suggest. I don't believe he's performed to the salary, mind you, just that he's been more average than terribad like his numbers look.

I"m kind of reluctant to judge the individuals in this defense at this stage, though. No one has looked as good on field as they do on paper. Could mean the coaching choice was bad, could mean we just are going to see delayed returns on the D transformation. There was a poster or two that hammered on the point all offseason that we won't see Spags D get going until year 2. This may be that.

Clark has drawn a lot of double teams, but not so much against Indy. 

TK has looked better. Ogbah has been a great pick up. Even though the CB get picked on in the media, they have been decent. The problem is that no one has history with the defense to use as a baseline. The defense for all its many growing pains is still close to last year's version.

J

On 10/8/2019 at 10:38 PM, onejayhawk said:

Clark has drawn a lot of double teams, but not so much against Indy. 

TK has looked better. Ogbah has been a great pick up. Even though the CB get picked on in the media, they have been decent. The problem is that no one has history with the defense to use as a baseline. The defense for all its many growing pains is still close to last year's version.

J

Which was also terrible. Another very poor game from Clark. It's astonishing that we can go from creating so much pressure with Ford, Houston and Jones, last season, to what we have now. Basically, the QB has a clean pocket and as much time as he wants on every play. 

He's just not that good. No burst off the line. No bull rush. No moves. Can't loop. Doesnt dominate the man in front of him. Can hold the Edge but only decently. Any time hes had a moment to shine hes failed. Has tackleitis like evetybody else on the front 7.

Another failed Veach(among an evergrowing list) signing so far.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

He's just not that good. No burst off the line. No bull rush. No moves. Can't loop. Doesnt dominate the man in front of him. Can hold the Edge but only decently. Any time hes had a moment to shine hes failed. Has tackleitis like evetybody else on the front 7.

Another failed Veach(among an evergrowing list) signing so far.

Sadly, I see no way we can get rid of him. That contract is an albatross. His cap hit jumps to $22.7 million next season. There's no realistic out until 2022. What an awful, awful deal this is turning out to be. Unless he takes an astronomical jump, this is looking like an all time bad move. I still have my fingers crossed he will turn it around, but each passing week makes it look less likely. 

2 hours ago, kempus said:

Sadly, I see no way we can get rid of him. That contract is an albatross. His cap hit jumps to $22.7 million next season. There's no realistic out until 2022. What an awful, awful deal this is turning out to be. Unless he takes an astronomical jump, this is looking like an all time bad move. I still have my fingers crossed he will turn it around, but each passing week makes it look less likely. 

if we cut him it will hurt hut how bad? is it better to cut him after the season and it is what it is?

5 hours ago, valkrei said:

if we cut him it will hurt hut how bad? is it better to cut him after the season and it is what it is?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/frank-clark-16787/#

From Spotrac, it would be stupidly expensive. $37.8 million in dead cap. He will be on the team next season. The year after is quite a bit cheaper at $15.6 million though. If he's still this bad, I guess we cut him there.