2019 Live Draft Chat

dll2000

Just now, WindyCity said:

Betts is intriguing.

But with Canadian prospects you need to PR them for a year.

We do not get raised playing football and we do not start in the weight room at 12 years old like they do in the football states in the US. Betts has intriguing physical tools, but will need a year to get his body up to NFL standards.

Agreed.  He reminds me a little of Shea McClellin who also lacked an NFL build.  These guys can look great against lower level competition but as with McClellin the bigger boys in the NFL can eat them alive.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Betts is intriguing.

We do not get raised playing football and we do not start in the weight room at 12 years old like they do in the football states in the US. Betts has intriguing physical tools, but will need a year to get his body up to NFL standards.

12.  Players I coached started lifting and speed training at 8.  Parents are psycho.  Of course 99.9% of those kids lack athletic ability to do anything with it beyond Division III college football or whatever they call it now.

Funny the money they spend giving these kids athletic advantages growing up would nearly pay for college more than pay for some.  

• Like 2

Don't where else to put this but.....

The #Colts signed veteran RB Spencer Ware to a one-year, $1.305M deal, source said. Max $2.05M with incentives. Good opportunity for Ware, who’s still only 27.

Obviously drafting Montgomery and Whyte closed the door an Ware on the Bears for good.

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

12.  Players I coached started lifting and speed training at 8.  Parents are psycho.  Of course 99.9% of those kids lack athletic ability to do anything with it beyond Division III college football or whatever they call it now.

Funny the money they spend giving these kids athletic advantages growing up would nearly pay for college more than pay for some.  

Hey now, my son and daughter do speed training and lifts- in a sense.

I don't pay for anything, and I do the speed training with them. (Helps keep me from getting too fat  lol). The lifts are more plyos and carries, functional things rather than real lifts. Granted they ask do do them since they see me and the Mrs go workout.

I've sen some of the parents you talked about though.

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Hey now, my son and daughter do speed training and lifts- in a sense.

I don't pay for anything, and I do the speed training with them. (Helps keep me from getting too fat  lol). The lifts are more plyos and carries, functional things rather than real lifts. Granted they ask do do them since they see me and the Mrs go workout.

I've sen some of the parents you talked about though.

Don't misunderstand.  Exercise is great.  Lifting or just push ups and pulls ups.  Whatever.   Speed training does wonders for these kids as well.  Improves confidence and self esteem.  It's great for bonding.   Sports, especially football, teaches so much.  I am sure you are a terrific dad.  

[Note:  I followed this with a big long post about my experiences with various parents in football over 2 decades and my thoughts on this and that and how it even gets to point of idolatry and deleted it except for above.  It just got too personal for this forum.  There is a forum called DumCoach where people often discuss such things.  Great resource if you ever get into youth coaching and a great place to meet other coaches.]  

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Betts is intriguing.

I'm perfectly ok with him "pulling a hamstring" that forces us cut and revert him to IR at the end of the preseason

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Let’s see him before we get to that point first... 

right, not saying this kid is going to be anything. It's all assuming that he is good enough for him to warrant it, but not good enough to make the team. Just a guy that needs a year or two in an NFL weight room and with NFL coaches

I agree that we should probably move on from this thread, the draft is over. We should really consolidate things to make discussion about a certain topic much more contained and easy to follow with. We currently have a thread for each draft pick, a league 2019 off season thread that we can talk about league news in (like INDY signing Ware), we have a thread for UDFA that we signed, one for the entire NFCN, and one to talk (prematurely but still fun to speculate) about the 53-man roster.

Thoughts @CBears019 @Madmike90?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Don't misunderstand.  Exercise is great.  Lifting or just push ups and pulls ups.  Whatever.   Speed training does wonders for these kids as well.  Improves confidence and self esteem.  It's great for bonding.   Sports, especially football, teaches so much.  I am sure you are a terrific dad.  

[Note:  I followed this with a big long post about my experiences with various parents in football over 2 decades and my thoughts on this and that and how it even gets to point of idolatry and deleted it except for above.  It just got too personal for this forum.  There is a forum called DumCoach where people often discuss such things.  Great resource if you ever get into youth coaching and a great place to meet other coaches.]  

I understood, I was just treasing. 

It really is about the only cardio I do anymore though. Need to get better about that. Lol

I'll look into it, thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I agree that we should probably move on from this thread, the draft is over. We should really consolidate things to make discussion about a certain topic much more contained and easy to follow with. We currently have a thread for each draft pick, a league 2019 off season thread that we can talk about league news in (like INDY signing Ware), we have a thread for UDFA that we signed, one for the entire NFCN, and one to talk (prematurely but still fun to speculate) about the 53-man roster.

Thoughts @CBears019 @Madmike90?

Okay I will lock this one up.

• Like 2