NFL Draft Discussion (Rounds 1-7)

zelbell

5 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

2b) @LETSGOBROWNIES With market reset, the Browns likely thought it more prudent cap wise to either wait until next offseason for the market to adjust downward, wait until next offseason letting Randall's play/injury adjust his market value downward, or more importantly wait for the Franchise Tag next offseason that will be around 12 Million because that 12 Mil + the 9 Mil pay this year for Randall would cost 21 million over two years carrying to Randall's 28-29 year old season without huge guaranteed money commitment which would be a TON less than committing 13-14 mil a year with 34-40 guaranteed with 15-20 mil signing bonus like the Landon Collins, Earl Thomas, or Tryan Mathieu contracts, especially when the team is not sure they want to give up the cost control and flexibility they have now.

Yeah, maybe.  I think waiting for people to make less money with a rising gap is a dangerous game, but it’s possible.

I think there’s also some desire to see how he looks in a new scheme and just how dependent the defense is on both the FS position in general and his ability in the scheme.

It may just be a position they’re not willing to pay for.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I would assume that if we trade him, the team we trade him to has to pay his salary, but we would eat a % of the cap hit or cap space this season (different from money we have to pay) for 2019, albeit in 2020 it wouldn’t matter. Also I am assuming this is the case as that’s basically what the Giants have with Vernon for this year as a similar comparison.

We're not trading Randall because he has one of the best contracts in the entire NFL in his position, and it gives the Browns amazing flexibility, cost-certainty, and contract control.

This is because at the end of his rookie deal now transitioned to the 5th year option at 9 Mil this year there is not major signing bonus or guaranteed money commitments for the next few years that the Browns are committed to heading into a franchise tag eligible year. In the NFL, teams add the cost of the final contract year to the cost of the franchise tag essentially calculating the cost of a 2-year deal in order to compare that cost/benefit to the cost/benefit of signing the player outright to a longterm deal of 2-years or more.

In our case, 9 Mil + a franchise tag of 13 Mil == 22 Mil without a huge signing bonus or more importantly guaranteed money that spans the course of 3 years or so.

Comparing Randall's projected 2-year cost compared to the recently top paid safeties (keep in mind Randall's age; production; versatility would have him with a comparable contract to the highest 3...a lot of them have more prolific careers but are older and injury prone; Collins is the best comp. b/c of age and skill/impact value).

Demarious Randall -- AVG Salary= 11 Mil ; Signing Bonus= 0; GTD at Signing= 9 Mil in 2019 then 13 Mil in 2020; Total GTD =  9 Mil in 2019 then 13 Mil in 2020 for a 2yr, 22 Mil

Landon Collins -- AVG Salary= 14 Mil ; Signing Bonus= 15 Mil; GTD at Signing= 26 Mil ; Total GTD = 44 Mil

Tyran Mathieu -- AVG Salary= 14 Mil ; Signing Bonus= 14.8 Mil; GTD at Signing= 26.8 Mil ; Total GTD = 26.8 Mil

Earl Thomas -- AVG Salary= 13.75 Mil ; Signing Bonus= 20 Mil; GTD at Signing= 32 Mil ; Total GTD = 32 Mil

Lamarcus Joyner -- AVG Salary 10.5 Mil ; Signing Bonus= n/a ; GTD at Signing = 16.7 Mil ; Total GTD = 21.3 Mil

The flexibility for the cap and the impact that Randall provides means that we're likely not going to resign him longterm this offseason or the next but instead put the franchise tag on him next year should his performance warrant it because of cost-benefit optimization.

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

He's one of the most outspoken, stream of consciousness, say what's on the top of his mind players in the league. You can't hang on his every word and assume "he feels like he's getting traded and gone after Friday" as if you know his mindset and what every tweet is about and references. The tweets to Kwon and Donovan were assumed from your mind to mean "he thinks he's getting traded or will be gone Friday."

So, are you saying you are learning something new about Demarious mindset regarding his contract b/c of the deal or no deal tweet and tweets about him wanting to get paid??

Because imo anyone if we've been paying attention to the offseason as fans we'd know:

1.) Demarious wants a new contract b/c he's headed into his contract year and he's like every player/person.

2a.) The safeties in their final year got paid huge, insane dollars in free agency resetting the safety market

2b) @LETSGOBROWNIES With market reset, the Browns likely thought it more prudent cap wise to either wait until next offseason for the market to adjust downward, wait until next offseason letting Randall's play/injury adjust his market value downward, or more importantly wait for the Franchise Tag next offseason that will be around 12 Million because that 12 Mil + the 9 Mil pay this year for Randall would cost 21 million over two years carrying to Randall's 28-29 year old season without huge guaranteed money commitment which would be a TON less than committing 13-14 mil a year with 34-40 guaranteed with 15-20 mil signing bonus like the Landon Collins, Earl Thomas, or Tryan Mathieu contracts, especially when the team is not sure they want to give up the cost control and flexibility they have now.

3.) Demarious being a human being like us likely naturally thought "hey where's my money I want to get paid like my peers I'm better than a lot of these guys getting paid,

4) I'm frustrated and upset and disappointed we can't work out a deal before I hit the market

Us as fans should know that given his outspoken off the top of his mind nature that he'd likely say something or reference those feeling AND more importantly he could say such things and still be all in for this season and love the team.

Free Agency reset the market so that it's not advantageous for the browns to give up the right to pay him at a discount this year on his 5th year option then franchise him which would be far less than the multiyear commitment given the current safety market. Has nothing to do with us wanting to trade Randall nor is he being a "butt" as you said it b/c the man wants/complains about what he's rightfully earned amongst his peers market.

I literally said all this in about two sentences. Randall wants a new deal and he’s spouting garbage about it on Twitter. I didn’t make any assumptions about if he’s right or wrong for thinking so. Just stating what he said.

Why are you going to such lengths to argue with me about something I 100% agree with you about???

Edited by pnies20

18 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

I literally said all this in about two sentences. Randall wants a new deal and he’s spouting garbage about it on Twitter. I didn’t make any assumptions about if he’s right or wrong for thinking so. Just stating what he said.

Why are you going to such lengths to argue with me about something I 100% agree with you about???

Image result for you're new here aren't you gif

• Like 3

I still really think OL will come into play in the draft possibly early if someone they love is falling. Could be a C could be an OT. Players that most hate like Jawaan Taylor or Greg Little have lots of potential but could fall like rocks. Dorsey would probably be drooling if someone with that kind of potential falls to 33. 

Also think a few trades happen later for players already on rosters that may become available. Maybe a corner, LB, etc.