NFL Draft Discussion (Rounds 1-7)

zelbell

1 minute ago, Gmen said:

Why the support? Because as a fan of an organization like the Giants, who have won 2 Superbowls in my short time being a fan, I’ve learned to be optimistic and give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. 

Well as a fan of a team who hasn’t done those things, let me be the first to tell you to hold on to your britches.  It ain’t always rosy.

1 minute ago, Gmen said:

Many Giants fans weren’t happy with the OBJ selection and many Giants fans wanted Eric Ebron. Eagles fans were rejoicing at the selection, and claimed they drafted a better receiver in Jordan Matthews. How’d that turn out? Again, I’ve seen so much of this nonsense over the years, and to see it again makes me roll my eyes. 

But you seemed certain Barkley was the right choice a few months ago. I want to know if after seeing the whole plan, if you still feel that way.  That’s why I asked about ranking those scenarios.

16 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Why the support? Because as a fan of an organization like the Giants, who have won 2 Superbowls in my short time being a fan, I’ve learned to be optimistic and give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. 

Many Giants fans weren’t happy with the OBJ selection and many Giants fans wanted Eric Ebron. Eagles fans were rejoicing at the selection, and claimed they drafted a better receiver in Jordan Matthews. How’d that turn out? Again, I’ve seen so much of this nonsense over the years, and to see it again makes me roll my eyes. 

Turned out great for us 

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

But you seemed certain Barkley was the right choice a few months ago. I want to know if after seeing the whole plan, if you still feel that way.  That’s why I asked about ranking those scenarios.

Absolutely I do. Saquon is still the best running back in the league, and we have our young quarterback. I’d rather have Jones than Rosen and Allen. I’d take Darnold over Jones, but not if it means giving up Barkley

11 hours ago, Mind Character said:

2nd Round Pro-Bowl Upside, Immediate Starter Quality Players Available:

1.) Nasir Adderley, CB/FS/SS-Convert Delaware

2.) Julian Love, CB/NCB Notre Dame 

3.) Lonnie Johnson Jr., CB Kentucky 

4.) Dalton Risner, RG/RT Kansas St.   

5.) Hakeem Butler, Boundary and Big-Slot WR Iowa St.

6.) A.J. Brown, Big-Slot WR Ole Miss

-- This is the cream of the crop based on my pre-draft evaluations and assessments. If we can walk away with one of these players, it will be as if we had a 1st round selection based on their projected impact and development imo.

-------------

2nd Round Day 2 Quality Starter Upside Players Available:

7.) Amani Oruwariye, CB Penn State  

8.) Trayvon Mullen, CB Clemson -- solid, all around payer albeit not exceptional

9.) D.K. Metcalf, WR Ole Miss               

10.) Sean Bunting, CB Central Michigan

11.) Max Scharping, RT Northern Illinois

12.) Hjalte Froholdt, OG Arkansas

13.) JJ Arcega-Whiteside, TE-Convert Stanford (As TE Only)

14.) Elgton Jenkins, OC Miss. St.

15a.) Chase Winovich, DE Michigan

15b.) Taylor Rapp, SS  Washington

16.) Greg Little, Ole Miss (Hated HATED his tape early on and thought he was trash by the 8th game no Tackle played better seriously)

17.) Jawaan Taylor, OT Florida -- I've said he's overrated from the very beginning ... even still he could be a solid developmental LT with high upside in round 2

18.) Chidi Okeke, OT TSU

-------------

2nd Round Quality Contributor with Starter Upside Players Available that I'd Rather Trade Down:

18.) Irv Smith Jr., TE Alabama

19.) Byron Murphy, CB Washington (zone bail technique exclusive CB, ultra talented, is scheme dependent and won't tackle and isn't forceful)

20.) Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple

21.) Greedy Williams, CB LSU

-------------

2nd Round Pass, Doesn't Fit our Scheme Replacement Level Impact for Us:

1.) Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, FS Florida -- Famtastic short armed nickel DB with slot instincts and instincts as nearer to the box range FS.. not a SS.. not forceful in the run

2.) Juan Thornhill, FS Virginia -- Extremely versatile, long, Finesse player, won't tackle, isn't forceful, no urgency, average instinct to range-playmake

3.) Zach Allen, Boston College -- 34 5-tech convert or replacement impact as 43DE

-------------

2nd Round Stay-Away Avoid, Replacement Level Impact for Us:

1.) Parris Campbell, WR Ohio State -- gadget player that can't catch at all and can't run routes and a lot more... just no...

2.) Justin Layne, CB Michigan State -- raw tools... great character... great willing tackler...i've spoken about this a ton... slow feet, slow eyes, no functional long speed to run in phase or run down field with WR after transition from backpedal.. stiff hips... stiffs knees

3.) Cody Ford, OT Oklahoma -- doesn't have the feet and is a swinging door when going back 2 years ago to watch his film as a Guard on the inside. He's better at RT keeping players at arms length and dominating with physicality. In that role as a RT, he could still be average replacement level.

4.) Dre’Mont Jones, DT Ohio State -- Gets dominated in the run and gets pushed around in pass blocking... is only a situational pass rusher inside but will be great at that role for some team... 3rd to 4th round player

5.) Amani Hooker, S Iowa -- Amazingly versatile. Will not exceed average, replacement level at next level.

6.) Germain Pratt, LB NC State -- Will always be replacement level at the next level for us; therefore, better to use the pick else on a player above that ability.

7.) Jaylon Ferguson, DE La Tech -- College Production amazing actually game is underwhelming; pro game transition will be even worse.

8.) Trysten Hill, DT UCF -- Football character is really bad; a negative value add to our locker room

Much like there is impact talent still on the board, there is also a lot of fools gold out there as well.

In terms of best fit (i.e., the maximization of player's ability and their impact fit on our roster), out of the 18 above available prospects that I have at least a 2nd round grade on (6-7 w/ immediate impact starter quality; 11 w/ starter quality upside), the following are the 5 perfect fit players ranked by their impact fit on our current roster:

1.) Nasir Adderley, CB/FS/SS-Convert Delaware (No. 1 overall my BPA, pure play ability evaluation big board)

2.) Julian Love, CB/NCB Notre Dame (No. 2 overall my BPA, pure play ability evaluation big board)

3.) Trayvon Mullen, CB Clemson (No. 8 overall my BPA, pure play ability evaluation big board) -- Is the perfect fit CB for Steve Wilks' specific zone and man calls.

4.) Dalton Risner, RG/RT Kansas St. (No. 4 overall my BPA, pure play ability evaluation big board)

5.) Lonnie Johnson Jr., CB Kentucky (No. 3 overall my BPA, pure play ability evaluation big board)

-- If we take one of those 5 players specifically it will be a home run. I see a lot of talk about Byron Murphy and Greedy Williams. A lot of the Murphy talk has a lot to do with him being talked up as the perfect Zone CB and with Steve Wilks being known for Zone calls as well as PFF loving him as a zone CB most fans see him as the best CB. Based on the film, that isn't even close to the case. He's a good player, but based on zone play with the ability to shine in press calls the best CB for us would be Trayvon Mullen followed by Julian Love who would then be followed by Lonnie Johnson Jr. I say all that even though I have Love and Johnson Jr. ranked ahead of Mulen based on pure ability. Murphy's tape leaves a ton to be desired and like Jawaan Taylor I've never been so sure why people have evaluated them as more than solid players but instead great players. Murphy's behind even Sean Bunting and Amani Oruwariye just based on film evaluation. Not many Browns fans would be happy with the Trayvon Mullen pick but scheme/role fit and talent wise they should be excited.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Absolutely I do. Saquon is still the best running back in the league, and we have our young quarterback. I’d rather have Jones than Rosen and Allen. I’d take Darnold over Jones, but not if it means giving up Barkley

So this worked out more or less perfectly for you, that’s good.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gmen said:

giphy.gif

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, zelbell said:

I would consider a 3rd for Harris

but his contract demands are too much for me

Its the Colts. However, a 3rd round pick for CHJ is absolute highway robbery. If you strictly look at his production--hes easily worth a 1st + 3rd or multiple 2nds. You just have to be okay with the fact that he only has 4-ish years of good football left.

• Like 2