Yannick Ngakoue

DuvalsKing

I think if they were doing the deal today, Clark would have the slightly stronger argument with a bit more production.  Yan has that propensity for generating strip sacks too.  Plus, another year for Yan to put up more stats, along with the endless upward march of the salary cap and the whole "leapfrog" thing with each new signee expected to get more than the last...yeah...Yan's gonna want at least that sort of contract.

We're going to talking about at least $50M per year between Jalen and Yan alone.  It's going to be interesting.  At some point, we're going to have to have ourselves a franchise QB on a rookie deal, or that's not going to work.

That's why i've been so adamant about trying to make a run this year.  After that, the window could start closing in a hurry with these sort of contracts on the horizon.  Plus critical guys like Calais aging out.

34 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think if they were doing the deal today, Clark would have the slightly stronger argument with a bit more production.  Yan has that propensity for generating strip sacks too.  Plus, another year for Yan to put up more stats, along with the endless upward march of the salary cap and the whole "leapfrog" thing with each new signee expected to get more than the last...yeah...Yan's gonna want at least that sort of contract.

We're going to talking about at least $50M per year between Jalen and Yan alone.  It's going to be interesting.  At some point, we're going to have to have ourselves a franchise QB on a rookie deal, or that's not going to work.

That's why i've been so adamant about trying to make a run this year.  After that, the window could start closing in a hurry with these sort of contracts on the horizon.  Plus critical guys like Calais aging out.

That’s a scary contract for the simple fact I wanted to resign Yann and Ramsey but since they are having to fix past blunders and waste money to fix a Bortles contract and then doubling back to sign Foles is going to be an issue regardless if the cap goes up or not. Chiefs can do it because the have Mahomes on a rookie deal. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by DuvalsKing

42 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

That’s a scary contract for the simple fact I wanted to resign Yann and Ramsey but since they are having to fix past blunders and waste money to fix a Bortles contract and then doubling back to sign Foles is going to be an issue regardless if the cap goes up or not. Chiefs can do it because the have Mahomes on a rookie deal. 🤷‍♂️

I mean, it doesn't help...but there's enough of an out in the Foles contract after 2 years that if it doesn't work, they can probably massage Jalen/Yan deals to defer the big hits and eat up space freed by cutting Foles loose for 2021+ instead.  Then you're back in the "draft a QB and hope they work out" mode, with a cheap rookie deal. 

If Foles does work to the point we want to keep him after 2 years...welp...things probably get really tight.  But that's a mess worth having, if it means the QB spot is sorted.

The reality is, they're gonna have to actually draft well either way.  These megadeals for Jalen+Yan basically just mean that even with a cheap rookie deal QB...they're not gonna have the sort of money to throw around and build the team like they did with that 2017 roster - tons of big money FA gets in prominent roles as a crutch for lackluster drafting.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

We have Foles on a deal for 3 yrs at a reasonable cost. No worries at all regarding Yan/Ramsey with that on the books. Plus, once it's over it's probably a rookie anyway.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

We have Foles on a deal for 3 yrs at a reasonable cost. No worries at all regarding Yan/Ramsey with that on the books. Plus, once it's over it's probably a rookie anyway.

I'd say 2 years and then hopefully we either know, or we know he's not with Foles.  At that point, we can pursue another avenue, if we haven't already by drafting a QB in 2020.  Cut Foles loose, and use that money to fund megadeals for Jalen and Yan.

But the cap is still gonna be crazy tight, if you build around a DE and a CB at close to the sort of rates teams pay franchise QBs.  And we've still gotta find that franchise QB in the draft too, which this franchise has been historically unable to ever do.

28 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I'd say 2 years and then hopefully we either know, or we know he's not with Foles.  At that point, we can pursue another avenue, if we haven't already by drafting a QB in 2020.  Cut Foles loose, and use that money to fund megadeals for Jalen and Yan.

But the cap is still gonna be crazy tight, if you build around a DE and a CB at close to the sort of rates teams pay franchise QBs.  And we've still gotta find that franchise QB in the draft too, which this franchise has been historically unable to ever do.

That's the going rate. We're not going to be the only team paying megadeals to 2-3 guys outside of the QB position. Guys like Norwell, Bouye, Telvin, Calais, Linder, Lee, etc. have sizeable deals currently and you gotta draft and hope theyre money goes to guys like Jalen/Yann and some of them get replaced by rookies in time.

It's a constant flushing around of $$, especially when we've been so active in FA. Instead we just pay our own.

Edited by .Buzz

18 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That's the going rate. We're not going to be the only team paying megadeals to 2-3 guys outside of the QB position. Guys like Norwell, Bouye, Telvin, Calais, Linder, Lee, etc. have sizeable deals currently and you gotta draft and hope theyre money goes to guys like Jalen/Yann and some of them get replaced by rookies in time.

It's a constant flushing around of $$, especially when we've been so active in FA. Instead we just pay our own.

Ya'll seen the Pats just throwing "market rate" deals at dudes willy nilly?

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Historically you can only afford three mega deals at premium spots. After that you're plugging in your roster with cheaper options.