Jump to content
vike daddy

2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

Recommended Posts

a thread for discussing trading Waynes, Mike Hughes' recovery, Mac's attacks, and supplying band aids to Professor X...

 

 

Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman offered an update on Mike Hughes’ rehab, saying Hughes is running.

“It’s a process. In fact, he’s a little ahead of schedule, so we’ve got a long way to go. But I know he’s been here all offseason, working extremely hard at it. I know he’s anxious to get back on that field, and I know Eric Sugarman and our medical staff and the success they’ve had with ACLs and knee injuries and how quickly they get those guys back playing on the field and playing at the same level or higher. We’re excited about where he’s at this point in his rehab right now.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/23/mike-hughes-a-little-ahead-of-schedule-in-his-rehab/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Spielman: “Everybody has angst. My wife. . . .I’ll leave that at home. She said, ‘If you draft another corner, don’t come home. You can just stay at the office.’ Although there’s some pretty good corners that we like in the first round.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/23/rick-spielman-under-pressure-not-to-take-a-corner/

Take BPA Rick....even if that means taking a corner and/or trading one away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Spielman: “Everybody has angst. My wife. . . .I’ll leave that at home. She said, ‘If you draft another corner, don’t come home. You can just stay at the office.’ Although there’s some pretty good corners that we like in the first round.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/23/rick-spielman-under-pressure-not-to-take-a-corner/

I kind of want him to draft a corner now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I kind of want him to draft a corner now

He's got 8 or 9 kids. She'll have to let him back into the house eventually to help with the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this obviously changes if we trade waynes away, but really don't see us taking a corner until round 6 or so.

 

rhodes is an all-pro/pro bowl talent

alexander developed into a very good nickel corner last season

we have hughes and hill who both showed flashes last season as rookies.

 

so even without any additions we are comfortably four deep at corner, and that's if we trade away our second best corner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ll draft a CB before round 6. 

Rhodes has been an All Pro/Pro Bowl talent, but he wasn’t last year nd the injuries are mounting up. 

Like Waynes, Alexander is also entering the final year of his contract. 

Hughes is coming off of a serious injury and is a complete unknown. And Hill can’t be trusted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who gets a new contract? Waynes or Alexander? I don't think they can afford both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Who gets a new contract? Waynes or Alexander? I don't think they can afford both.

I think it has to be Alexander, especially if he has another good year.  They need someone to solidify the nickel corner spot, and he appears to finally be figuring it out.  Plus, he ain't gonna cost anywhere near what Waynes would cost.  

I see them potentially drafting another corner for depth, but I don't agree with @SemperFeist.  I don't think it'll be before Rd 6 (unless they trade back somewhere earlier to pick up a 5th rd pick), because it'll be a project corner, but one who can play special teams right away.  The corners in this draft are fairly deep, there's just no real top-enders, so they can get a decent project corner later.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, swede700 said:

I think it has to be Alexander, especially if he has another good year.  They need someone to solidify the nickel corner spot, and he appears to finally be figuring it out.  Plus, he ain't gonna cost anywhere near what Waynes would cost.  

I see them potentially drafting another corner for depth, but I don't agree with @SemperFeist.  I don't think it'll be before Rd 6 (unless they trade back somewhere earlier to pick up a 5th rd pick), because it'll be a project corner, but one who can play special teams right away.  The corners in this draft are fairly deep, there's just no real top-enders, so they can get a decent project corner later.    

I agree. Alexander would seem most likely given that he can play the slot. Hughes and Hill seem like boundary CBs, maybe Hughes can do both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's interesting. I wonder if they are waiting to see who might fall in the draft and then pull a draft day trade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

That's interesting. I wonder if they are waiting to see who might fall in the draft and then pull a draft day trade?

That would be the likely scenario, possibly they could move him to the 49ers at the top of the 2nd round, if there's a requisite player (i.e. Chris Lindstrom) available...the 49ers have the need and the cap space.  

Edited by swede700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×