2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Kearse got away with some holds in that game.  But did play decent coverage on Fant late, at least used his length to get in his way and quickness.  Sendejo is a far superior tackler to Kearse though especially in the box.  But again with how bad Rhodes has been moving him to safety makes a lot of sense especially next year.

No clue why Hughes is still back returning punts, he looked rough.  Surprised he did not play more CB outside with how bad Rhodes was playing.  Great they got two wins but honestly with how bad the D played this past two games it seems like two losses in many ways.  Hopefully this Bye week can help them square a lot of things away or think of something new to do with the talent they have.

Winning the games that seem like losses seems like a good thing

Complete speculation on my part...

Rhodes has been very often injured throughout his career. It seems like the majority of his injuries have been to his hamstrings. 

I know that a long time ago, teams would simply shoot novocaine into players with this injury and have them tough it out. Playing a numb but yet injured hamstring caused a lot of scar tissue to develop. This done too many times would leave players without the ability to make quick twitch leg movements and the ability to sprint at full speed.

That happened a long time ago when I was more into sports medicine. I don’t know if that happens nowadays... but I wouldn’t be surprised if Rhodes’ seemingly laundry list of hamstring injuries have caused irreparable scar tissue.

3 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

Does safety talk go in here too? Because I still  have no idea why Kearse doesn't play more. I know he has legal issue that is ongoing, but the rumor swirling on twitter is this is his last year in Minnesota, yet he's been one of the best players in coverage for the Vikings.

Kearse is a free agent, so it’s possible he leaves. I think it comes down to signing Harris or Kearse at the end of the day. Alexander is also a priority.

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Kearse is a free agent, so it’s possible he leaves. I think it comes down to signing Harris or Kearse at the end of the day. Alexander is also a priority.

Chris Tomassen (sp) sent out a tweet today that Kearse explicitly told him won’t be with us next year. He’s surely heated up the Sandejo signing and not being the starting safety, but FA is a long time away from now and won’t be as brash. I hope we can keep both he and Harris as well as Waynes. 

• Like 1

Just now, Duluther said:

Chris Tomassen (sp) sent out a tweet today that Kearse explicitly told him won’t be with us next year. He’s surely heated up the Sandejo signing and not being the starting safety, but FA is a long time away from now and won’t be as brash. I hope we can keep both he and Harris as well as Waynes. 

It'll be hard to keep Kearse if they don't plan on him starting imo. Unless the market just isn't there for him

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

It'll be hard to keep Kearse if they don't plan on him starting imo. Unless the market just isn't there for him

I personally like his hybrid role in the big dime and likewise formations. I don’t see him as a pure safety and I hope no other teams do either.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Is it a role Holton Hill could slide into? 

I wouldn’t know enough to say with cerainty, but it seems as though Kearse gets a lot of contain responsibilities in the run game when in this formation, so I doubt it. And guys with Kearse’s skill set don’t come around everyday.

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I think the secondary is catching a lot of heat that should be directed towards the defensive line. 

It doesn’t matter how good the players in the secondary are, when an NFL QB gets all day to throw the ball, they’ll find open receivers. 

A WR completed a long pass on Trae Waynes, despite being in good position to make a play. I think there’s been some serious issues in coverage this year.

1 minute ago, Duluther said:

I wouldn’t know enough to say with cerainty, but it seems as though Kearse gets a lot of contain responsibilities in the run game when in this formation, so I doubt it. And guys with Kearse’s skill set don’t come around everyday.

He’s a luxury more than anything. But he’s likely getting more on the open market if a team sees him as a starter.

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He’s a luxury more than anything. But he’s likely getting more on the open market if a team sees him as a starter.

I agree with this. It might be hard to give him a veteran contract and might have to draft and develop someone in that role.

Although they might view a backup safety and role player and special teams player more than that

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think the secondary is catching a lot of heat that should be directed towards the defensive line. 

It doesn’t matter how good the players in the secondary are, when an NFL QB gets all day to throw the ball, they’ll find open receivers. 

So much this. Every week it is more and more apparent we need another DT.

Jaleel Johnson is a good backup, and we might have something with Armon Watt, but they can stop us from trying to upgrade.