2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

So much this. Every week it is more and more apparent we need another DT.

Jaleel Johnson is a good backup, and we might have something with Armon Watt, but they can stop us from trying to upgrade.

Why can’t the issue be both? It clearly is. Rhodes is giving up big chunks and penalties all over the field and Waynes is still not anything above an average level starting CB. The defense misses having a shutdown Cb that can shadow a top WR, like Rhodes in his prime. 

Ideally Stephen, Johnson and Watts are the reserve DTs with a stud UT prospect brought in early. 

I honestly think you’ve got to clean house with the Cb group. Let Waynes walk, bring back Alexander and let Hughes, Hill and a rookie compete for those starting boundary spots. I don’t even care if they let Waynes walk and cut Rhodes, can probably get a veteran like Dennard from the Bengals for a fraction of the cost.

Edited by vikingsrule

12 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

A WR completed a long pass on Trae Waynes, despite being in good position to make a play. I think there’s been some serious issues in coverage this year.

I think the receivers have just made some really darn good catches.  I still say a lot of it has to do with the rules...in the past, the CBs were allowed to do a little more hand-work than they are now, so it makes it much more difficult to cover and close on receivers.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Kearse is a free agent, so it’s possible he leaves. I think it comes down to signing Harris or Kearse at the end of the day. Alexander is also a priority.

I've always thought it would be extremely likely that he's gone...he's probably middle of the pack amongst the free agent players that they would need to retain, and he's going to want a better opportunity to start, as he'd never get ahead of Ant.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I've always thought it would be extremely likely that he's gone...he's probably middle of the pack amongst the free agent players that they would need to retain, and he's going to want a better opportunity to start, as he'd never get ahead of Ant.  

I'm all about those extra draft picks.

1 hour ago, french t0ast said:

I hope this already wasn’t asked recently, but why do you guys think that Holton Hill hasn’t gotten more playing time yet? He always seems to take advantage of his opportunities.

He’s the fifth CB, is behind the rest of the team due to his suspension and Zimmer seems to favor playing veterans, even if they aren’t performing well like Rhodes. The opportunity may not come until next year.

18 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Why can’t the issue be both? It clearly is. Rhodes is giving up big chunks and penalties all over the field and Waynes is still not anything above an average level starting CB. The defense misses having a shutdown Cb that can shadow a top WR, like Rhodes in his prime. 

Ideally Stephen, Johnson and Watts are the reserve DTs with a stud UT prospect brought in early. 

I honestly think you’ve got to clean house with the Cb group. Let Waynes walk, bring back Alexander and let Hughes, Hill and a rookie compete for those starting boundary spots. I don’t even care if they let Waynes walk and cut Rhodes, can probably get a veteran like Dennard from the Bengals for a fraction of the cost.

I'm not against both. I just think DT is the bigger issue.