2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

Starting in base defense: Hughes, Gladney

Nickel defense: Gladney, Hill, Hughes (NCB)

CB4, rotational with the outside spots: Dantzler or Boyd

CB5, depth and special teams: whoever loses CB4, or maybe Hand

CB6, backup NCB (unless Gladney can learn the nickel role as a rookie): No idea.

Edited by Krauser

22 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Starting in base defense: Hughes, Gladney

Nickel defense: Gladney, Hill, Hughes (NCB)

CB4, rotational with the outside spots: Dantzler or Boyd

CB5, depth and special teams: whoever loses CB4, or maybe Hand

CB6, backup NCB (unless Gladney can learn the nickel role as a rookie): No idea.

Along with the move to safety talk for Hand, there was a lot of discussion about his possibly being a good slot corner.

Just now, RpMc said:

Along with the move to safety talk for Hand, there was a lot of discussion about his possibly being a good slot corner.

Ah, that would make sense then. Didn't make sense to keep him as an outside corner unless they're really unhappy with Boyd in that CB5 role (where he was good last year, especially on special teams).

Updated projection: 

CB1: Hughes (plays the slot in nickel)
CB2: Gladney (outside only)
CB3: Hill (outside in nickel)
CB4: Dantzler (outside, rotational with the top 3)
CB5: Boyd (special teams, depth outside)
CB6: Hand (special teams, depth at slot)

On 4/28/2020 at 12:26 PM, Krauser said:

Ah, that would make sense then. Didn't make sense to keep him as an outside corner unless they're really unhappy with Boyd in that CB5 role (where he was good last year, especially on special teams).

Updated projection: 

CB1: Hughes (plays the slot in nickel)
CB2: Gladney (outside only)
CB3: Hill (outside in nickel)
CB4: Dantzler (outside, rotational with the top 3)
CB5: Boyd (special teams, depth outside)
CB6: Hand (special teams, depth at slot)

This is how I'm seeing the secondary currently:

CB depth

Hughes, Hill, Gladney, Dantzler, Boyd, Clark - I think they find a way to keep Clarke.

Safety Depth

Smith, Harris, Hand, Metellus - They convert Hand to a FS/big nickel type of roll. He provides depth at free safety and Hughes at nickel if he gets hurt. I went Metellus as he has the most experience at safety; really strong downhill player and can be a savage on special teams. 

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

This is how I'm seeing the secondary currently:

CB depth

Hughes, Hill, Gladney, Dantzler, Boyd, Clark - I think they find a way to keep Clarke.

Safety Depth

Smith, Harris, Hand, Metellus - They convert Hand to a FS/big nickel type of roll. He provides depth at free safety and Hughes at nickel if he gets hurt. I went Metellus as he has the most experience at safety; really strong downhill player and can be a savage on special teams. 

Does Clarke project well to the slot? One of the rookies needs to learn the nickel position so they have a backup option there to Hughes.

Gladney seems like the best fit of the 3 corners they drafted, based in his size, quicks and tackling ability. But that would leave Hill/Dantlzer etc as the main options in base defense.

Dantlzer actually played in the slot in some of the college film I watched, when he was shadowing Jamarr Chase. Did fine, but that seems like an awkward fit at the pro level.

I watched some of Hand’s film and wasn’t impressed with his coverage and ball skills especially downfield. Had a similar impression to Boyd last year,: a good athlete but not a skilled corner. Deep safety might work and slot (NCB /  big nickel) might work too, if he’s quick enough. His tackling pop would be a plus in the slot. I wonder if he has the ball skills to play FS.

I have no idea what they do at deep safety if Harris gets hurt. 

52 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Does Clarke project well to the slot? One of the rookies needs to learn the nickel position so they have a backup option there to Hughes.

Everything I've seen of Clarke in college, he was on the boundary. He's basically 6'1 190lb, so he's got more of that boundary length. Combine numbers below, he didn't run the 40.

Measurable Measurement %tile
Height 6' 1" 81
Weight 190 lbs 37
Arm Length 31⅝" 60
Hand Size 9⅛" 48
Vertical Jump 35" 37
Broad Jump 126" 78
3-Cone Drill 6.88s 59
20 Yard Shuttle 4.31s 15
Bench Press 10 reps 13

Ideally, Gladney learns boundary and slot roles. But I know Zimmer doesn't like to put too much on his rookies. That said, Gladney is a 5th year senior with a lot more college experience than previous high drafted zimmer cbs; so maybe Zimmer challenges him a bit more.

21 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Ideally, Gladney learns boundary and slot roles. But I know Zimmer doesn't like to put too much on his rookies. That said, Gladney is a 5th year senior with a lot more college experience than previous high drafted zimmer cbs; so maybe Zimmer challenges him a bit more.

Unless Gladney does learn the slot, CB6 will need to be a nickel.

So Clarke would have to beat out Boyd for CB5. That won’t be easy — Boyd was great on special teams last year.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, RpMc said:

Big time yikes for our starting two outside corners last year...

No surprise Gilmore is #1, best corner in the game as of right now.  Surprised Charvarius Ward is that high, and Waynes did pretty poor on this as well but wow on Rhodes.  He did have an awful season but not sure his career is quite over, just has to get in better shape obviously and Melo in the NBA shows one can do that quickly if they put their mind to it.  

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Liking what I'm hearing/seeing from Dantzler in Training Camp.

Hearing he could be one of the starters?

I'd say at this point, yes.  The favorite starting lineup at this point is Dantzler and Hill on the outside, Hughes in the slot.

• Like 1