2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

1 hour ago, solidvikingfan said:

There's the veteran CB.

He is ok, I saw him on the free agent list of corners and did not include him because honestly I do not think he is all that great.  Brent Grimes is way better and way more proven if one is looking for a slot corner which is what Bene is really.  Munnerlyn sure is probably too old, same with Sam Shields, and Amerson would have been interested in and I would have liked him to come in and Leon Hall is good but might be too old.  Shareece Wright is another I would not have minded.

Hopefully Bene does well but again never been super impressed with his play in the other stops he made, he spent only 1 year on the last 4 teams he played on so that does not say much.  Each team let him go after that year.  

Benwikere began his career as a fifth-round pick (148th overall) by Carolina in the 2014 NFL Draft. Ironically, the selection was originally held by Minnesota and traded to Carolina for a fifth-round pick (also traded by the Vikings) and seventh-round choice (used to select Jabari Price).

Benwikere started 14 of the 27 regular-season games he played for the Panthers but was released in October 2016. He then spent time with Miami and signed with Green Bay’s practice squad in 2017. The following month, Benwikere signed with Cincinnati, but the Bengals traded him to the Cowboys at the start of the 2017 season. Benwikere played in 12 games for Dallas before signing with Arizona in March 2018. He started eight of 11 games played for the Cardinals, including at Minnesota in Week 6. After he was released in November, Benwikere finished the 2018 campaign with the Raiders.

All told, Benwikere has played against the Vikings three times (2014 and 2016 with Carolina, 2018 with Arizona).

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-bene-benwikere-5-things-to-know?sf216945691=1

21 hours ago, swede700 said:

giphy.gif

He for sure made nice progression last year in terms of making plays and being active out there.  Good to hear that is continuing especially with Hughes and Hill out early on.  Wish the same could be said for Kearse at safety.  

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Big year for both Waynes and Alexander. I'd imagine that they are both competing for the one long term contract as MN likely can't afford both. However, Alexander should be cheaper. Just means Hughes or Hill better be ready for a meaningful role in a year. 

And I hope it's Hughes.  I'm not trusting Holton Hill right now.

On 8/4/2019 at 5:44 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Thought for sure we would sign Claiborne, but his suspension killed any chance of that happening.

Bene will likely only be on the roster until Hill is back, so it might not be such a bad signing.

I'm curious if they still could after his suspension. Even with Hughes back, he could still be signed as depth till Hill comes back. After Hill came back it would be a pretty solid room of CB's. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

I'm curious if they still could after his suspension. Even with Hughes back, he could still be signed as depth till Hill comes back. After Hill came back it would be a pretty solid room of CB's. 

PA said he heard from some people in the building and they weren't impressed with Claiborne at all, so don't expect it.  That's really why they moved onto Benwikere.

Edited by swede700

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

PA said he heard from some people in the building and they weren't impressed with Claiborne at all, so don't expect it.  That's really why they moved onto Benwikere.

I’m fully expecting the Vikings to find a vet CB and WR after cut down day. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m fully expecting the Vikings to find a vet CB and WR after cut down day. 

That's certainly possible about the CB...not so sure about the WR though...I think they'll roll with whoever makes the team at that position.  There probably isn't going to be a WR that's going to be any better than what they already have.