2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

17 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

When a player is fined it comes out of their next game check unless the appeal the fine. If they appeal it, the possibly modified fine, if there is still a fine, comes out of their next game check after the appeal process is completed. If the fine is more than 25% of their weekly pay they can get it lowered on appeal. It can be 50% of their weekly pay for second offenses.

So it would seem, no they don't have to pay if they don't play in any games after the fine is imposed.

Source: CBA

Gotcha thanks

The Vikings and Chiefs have hooked up for a trade ahead of Saturday afternoon’s deadline to drop to 53 players. Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that the Chiefs are sending cornerback Mark Fields to Minnesota. There’s no word on the compensation coming back to Kansas City.

Fields, who is the son of former NFL linebacker Mark Fields, was signed by the Chiefs after going undrafted earlier this year. He played in 47 games over four years at Clemson and was used mostly as a reserve in the defensive backfield.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/31/vikings-acquire-cb-mark-fields-from-chiefs/

Fields played in 48 career games with six starts at Clemson. He recorded 45 total tackles, five tackles for loss and a sack. He also had one career interception, which he returned 42 yards for a touchdown against Boston College. Fields also tallied 13 total pass breakups. Fields helped Clemson win national titles in 2016 and 2018.

Fields will see some familiar faces in the Vikings secondary. He teamed with Mackensie Alexander and Jayron Kearse at Clemson in 2015 when Fields was a freshman for the Tigers.

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-new-vikings-cb-mark-fields

32 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wonder what the conditions are for the trade..are those ever announced?

What I've heard is that there is some set number of games he has to be on the roster before the Vikings would have to give up the 7th round pick.  They agreed to it, but that number of games hasn't been disclosed.  

• Like 1

This is not CB talk but there is no S talk spot.  I would honestly take Marcell Harris off the 49ers practice squad and cut Marcus Epps.  Marcus has good athletic ability but is more a coverage man and potential special teams gunner.  Harris could play special teams also but is far more physical and is a thumper out there.  I think he would be an upgrade over Epps and this is only Harris's 2nd year in the league.  He looked good in the preseason I thought.  

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

This is not CB talk but there is no S talk spot.  I would honestly take Marcell Harris off the 49ers practice squad and cut Marcus Epps.  Marcus has good athletic ability but is more a coverage man and potential special teams gunner.  Harris could play special teams also but is far more physical and is a thumper out there.  I think he would be an upgrade over Epps and this is only Harris's 2nd year in the league.  He looked good in the preseason I thought.  

To your point here I'm pretty sure Kearse covers your want for more of a thumper at safety also why do you think thumping is more valuable a skillset then coverage in the pass heavy NFL of today.

5 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

To your point here I'm pretty sure Kearse covers your want for more of a thumper at safety also why do you think thumping is more valuable a skillset then coverage in the pass heavy NFL of today.

Kearse can play the slot and with his length has range in space and can cover.  He is thin though and I would not say is a physical tackler, quick and aggressive especially this preseason but not super physical.  Epps is not a starter and does not have starter potential I feel in the NFL long term, maybe I am just stuck on they should have picked his teammate Andrew Wingard who as a UDFA made the Jacksonville Jaguars active roster which is no surprise.  Harris I would rather have him as a young safety prospect that Epps but maybe that is just me.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Kearse can play the slot and with his length has range in space and can cover.  He is thin though and I would not say is a physical tackler, quick and aggressive especially this preseason but not super physical.  Epps is not a starter and does not have starter potential I feel in the NFL long term, maybe I am just stuck on they should have picked his teammate Andrew Wingard who as a UDFA made the Jacksonville Jaguars active roster which is no surprise.  Harris I would rather have him as a young safety prospect that Epps but maybe that is just me.

I think I recall you saying this during the draft. I never watched him but I'll trust you on this.

I hope Epps can develop into a decent role player. Look, it took Anthony Harris and Jayron Kearse a while to get where they are at, so maybe all Epps needs is some time with ZimZim.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think I recall you saying this during the draft. I never watched him but I'll trust you on this.

I hope Epps can develop into a decent role player. Look, it took Anthony Harris and Jayron Kearse a while to get where they are at, so maybe all Epps needs is some time with ZimZim.

Epps is decent, I just think Marcell Harris is better.  Epps I had as a UDFA and Wingard I had as a drafted player, and honestly in preseason Epps did not really stand out to me but hard to tell with TV coverage sometimes.  I would not trust Epps if he had to start where Harris I would and he has some starting experience.

True Anthony Harris took time to develop and a really long time for Kearse, but neither are arguably at a high developed stage in their careers, hopefully this year is the year for both of them.  Kearse has looked great this preseason no doubt, would love to see him get more action come the regular season.  Anthony Harris to me even when he has started has been just kind of out there, not a huge impact on the game but has been productive in terms of tackles, last year was his best season no question.  With Anthony Harris I had him as one of the higher ranked safeties in that draft when he came out and was very surprised when he went as a UDFA.  Has not impacted the game though much and still needs to keep taking his play to that next level.

• Like 1

@Ozzy I'm absolutely stunned as to how you can say Anthony Harris has not impacted the game...all he does is make plays when he's on the field.  Back to even his first career start (which was the game vs the Cardinals where Teddy fumbled the ball at the end of the game), all he does is impact the game in some way every time he steps on the field.  

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Epps is decent, I just think Marcell Harris is better.  Epps I had as a UDFA and Wingard I had as a drafted player, and honestly in preseason Epps did not really stand out to me but hard to tell with TV coverage sometimes.  I would not trust Epps if he had to start where Harris I would and he has some starting experience.

True Anthony Harris took time to develop and a really long time for Kearse, but neither are arguably at a high developed stage in their careers, hopefully this year is the year for both of them.  Kearse has looked great this preseason no doubt, would love to see him get more action come the regular season.  Anthony Harris to me even when he has started has been just kind of out there, not a huge impact on the game but has been productive in terms of tackles, last year was his best season no question.  With Anthony Harris I had him as one of the higher ranked safeties in that draft when he came out and was very surprised when he went as a UDFA.  Has not impacted the game though much and still needs to keep taking his play to that next level.

You and I must be watching two different Anthony Harris's.  The one I remember watching is all over the place making plays.

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

The thing with Wingard is he's much more of an in-the-box safety who could almost play a LB/S hybrid probably. Epps has a more versatile S skill set.