2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

I love it that Zimmer can talk about his players in the media without creating divides or ...schisms. They always respond well and agree when the media comes to them and it's because of the trust that the players have in Zim as a coach.

As long it's not the kind of "coffee talk" that features Mike Myers in drag, I'll jump in. :)

Well deserved criticism for Xavier. He took a big step back last season and I'm glad Zimmer called him out on it. The whole unit really needs to step up if this year if we're going to be contenders again.

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

As long it's not the kind of "coffee talk" that features Mike Myers in drag, I'll jump in. :)

Well deserved criticism for Xavier. He took a big step back last season and I'm glad Zimmer called him out on it. The whole unit really needs to step up if this year if we're going to be contenders again.

I agree with this.  While the secondary, as a whole, was not horrible, it wasn't as good as it could've been.  I look at two guys in particular that took a step back from their best play...Xavier is the first guy.  He fell the farthest from the elite CB he's been in past years.  The other guy might surprise you a little.  I'm looking for Harrison Smith to play better.  Maybe he missed Sendejo...maybe he missed Griffen being more disruptive up front.  Whatever and whoever he missed is irrelevant in my thinking.  Smith needs to get back to his controlled aggression that he plays with normally.  Last season felt like he was more tentative than normal.  Waynes, Kearse, Alexander and Harris need to continue their good play.  Hopefully, Hughes is ready to go and show improvement from the time he was playing before injury.  But again...Xavier Rhodes and Harrison Smith are the two guys I think could do more.

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I agree with this.  While the secondary, as a whole, was not horrible, it wasn't as good as it could've been.  I look at two guys in particular that took a step back from their best play...Xavier is the first guy.  He fell the farthest from the elite CB he's been in past years.  The other guy might surprise you a little.  I'm looking for Harrison Smith to play better.  Maybe he missed Sendejo...maybe he missed Griffen being more disruptive up front.  Whatever and whoever he missed is irrelevant in my thinking.  Smith needs to get back to his controlled aggression that he plays with normally.  Last season felt like he was more tentative than normal.  Waynes, Kearse, Alexander and Harris need to continue their good play.  Hopefully, Hughes is ready to go and show improvement from the time he was playing before injury.  But again...Xavier Rhodes and Harrison Smith are the two guys I think could do more.

Maybe at their ages (Rhodes and Smith), they can't do more. Might just be natural regression from elite to very good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings cornerback Mike Hughes continues his rehab on his left knee. He has yet to practice with the team and won’t until at least training camp in late July, coach Mike Zimmer said Tuesday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/04/mike-hughes-wont-return-to-practice-before-training-camp/

Not a surprise, but if he can at least get some work in during training camp, he can slowly work his way in the first few weeks of the season.  

Marcus Epps is playing some nickel corner: https://www.vikings.com/news/marcus-epps-vikings-impressing-safety-nickel-corner-secondary

He might have a chance to develop into a starter there next year, if they don’t extend Alexander. 

Hughes would seem like the more obvious choice, but depending on what happens with Waynes next year (does he get extended) and Rhodes this year (does his level of play rebound or is he a candidate for being released/restructured next year), Hughes might be needed as a full time outside CB in 2020. 

• Like 1

Kris Boyd intercepted two passes, earning praise from his teammates. That highlight-reel performance included an impressive sequence in which he tracked a deep pass nearly 50 yards downfield before making a lunging grab and returning it the other way. Boyd is starting to turn heads after being selected in the seventh round of April’s draft. Originally projected as a mid-round pick out of Texas, Boyd is now hellbent on making the most of his opportunity with the Vikings, while playing alongside college teammate Holton Hill.

Boyd:  “I’m was just out there balling and having fun, then I saw the ball coming, and I was just trying to make a play. As soon as I caught it, I got up, and I was just smiling. It’s made the transition a lot easier, I’m lucky to have him [Hill] here with me. It’s a blessing. If I have any questions, he’s the first person I call. It’s been some good and some bad, I’ve got to work on my technique a little bit. Everyone has just been telling me to keep my head up. I’m not going to just come out here and make a thousand plays. I’m just enjoying the process. It’s a dream come true to be here.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/12/vikings-rookie-kris-boyd-snags-two-interceptions-earns-joy-ride-in-rolls-royce/

Holton Hill will have to wait a while before making his 2019 debut, as he first must serve a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Hill: “I’m just learning from my mistakes, knowing what you put into your body. I’m responsible for everything that goes into it. I’m taking it as a learning experience, and I’m just growing from there. Just knowing that I’m not going to be here for the first four games, I still prepare myself as if I was going to be here.Everything that I put into the tank, it’s going to eventually come out, and the more work I do, it doesn’t matter when I get the opportunity, it’s going to come for sure.”

Hill played 57 percent of the snaps in the final nine games after the Vikings were hit with injuries. The undrafted free agent ended up playing 374 defensive snaps and 260 special teams snaps during his rookie season. Hill hopes to be able to jump right back in for the fifth game this season. Hill will lose $134,118 of his $570,000 salary.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/16/holton-hill-to-use-four-game-suspension-as-learning-experience/

21 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Hill hopes to be able to jump right back in for the fifth game this season. Hill will lose $134,118 of his $570,000 salary.

I hope he's smart with his $$$.

Looking forward to watching both Hill and Boyd progress together.

Is getting suspended for performance-enhancing drugs similar to getting suspended for marijuana in terms of entering a program where they (the NFL) can randomly test you?

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Is getting suspended for performance-enhancing drugs similar to getting suspended for marijuana in terms of entering a program where they (the NFL) can randomly test you?

They are two distinct policies. Getting advancing in the PED policy will not advance a player in the other.

26 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

They are two distinct policies. Getting advancing in the PED policy will not advance a player in the other.

Right I understand they are separate policies. However, I think you still answered my question. Are there different levels for performance-enhancing violations, i.e. 1st offender, 2nd offender, 3rd offender etc, and can they randomly test players after their 1st violation like they can in the substance-abuse program?

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Right I understand they are separate policies. However, I think you still answered my question. Are there different levels for performance-enhancing violations, i.e. 1st offender, 2nd offender, 3rd offender etc, and can they randomly test players after their 1st violation like they can in the substance-abuse program?

Yep, there are different levels of performance-enhancing violations. There is the reasonable cause testing and also different levels of discipline depending on number of offenses.

See this document for all the details: https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/2018 Policy on Performance-Enhancing Substances.pdf

• Like 1