2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

And maybe his last year as a Viking if he doesn't improve?

I sure hope not, but the idea has been thrown around a bit on this forum..

I'd certainly love to keep him too, but if you have to make a choice between him and Waynes (which they have to because of the cap situation), I'm choosing the younger, faster guy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I'd certainly love to keep him too, but if you have to make a choice between him and Waynes (which they have to because of the cap situation), I'm choosing the younger, faster guy.  

Hopefully, Rhodes rebounds from last year and improves his value around the league.  Would love to be able to trade him before having to let him go...even if it's in the middle of this season.

• 1 month later...

For the second time this year, Vikings cornerback Holton Hill has been suspended four games by the NFL.

Hill was previously suspended four games for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances, and today multiple reports say Hill has been suspended an additional four games for violating the NFL policy on substances of abuse.

That means Hill will be suspended for the first eight games of the regular season. He is still eligible to participate in training camp and the preseason.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/23/vikings-holton-hill-gets-his-second-four-game-suspension-of-the-year/

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

For the second time this year, Vikings cornerback Holton Hill has been suspended four games by the NFL.

Hill was previously suspended four games for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances, and today multiple reports say Hill has been suspended an additional four games for violating the NFL policy on substances of abuse.

That means Hill will be suspended for the first eight games of the regular season. He is still eligible to participate in training camp and the preseason.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/23/vikings-holton-hill-gets-his-second-four-game-suspension-of-the-year/

I think he probably should be released.  He's not that valuable that the Vikings should hold his roster spot open for half the season.

The CB depth chart will get thin next year. At least one of Waynes and Alexander is likely to leave in free agency. Rhodes is coming off a bad year, with some nagging injuries, and turns 30 next spring. Hughes is promising but lost most of his rookie year to injury.

If Hill can stay out of trouble (starting.... now!), he’ll be in line to be at least the CB4 next year (maybe they keep Alexander, so the starters would be Rhodes/Hughes/Alexander and then Hill), and could become a starter once Rhodes ages out, probably by 2021 or 22.

31 minutes ago, Krauser said:

The CB depth chart will get thin next year. At least one of Waynes and Alexander is likely to leave in free agency. Rhodes is coming off a bad year, with some nagging injuries, and turns 30 next spring. Hughes is promising but lost most of his rookie year to injury.

If Hill can stay out of trouble (starting.... now!), he’ll be in line to be at least the CB4 next year (maybe they keep Alexander, so the starters would be Rhodes/Hughes/Alexander and then Hill), and could become a starter once Rhodes ages out, probably by 2021 or 22.

The development of Kris Boyd will be huge especially with Hill being suspended even more.  To a lesser degree the development of guys like Myrick but he is a little bit of a long shot.  Not to mention Mike Hughes who should be a stud especially if he gets a full year healthy.  I was very impressed with him last year at points just needs to find his role.  I agree Waynes or Alexander will be gone next year but if Hughes can develop like he should it will not be as big of a deal.

3 hours ago, Krauser said:

That's a huge "if"....at this point, I'd wonder how much patience the Vikings should have with this guy?  He's not a starter...he's undrafted, so has a pretty rock bottom contract...and he has shown no ability to grow and mature from his past mistakes.  I mean, he was busted for testing positive at the combine...he was busted for performance enhancing substance in the off season, and was suspended the first four games of this season...then he gets busted again for testing positive even before he begins serving the suspension...and his suspension is automatically increased to 8 games.  Hi might be a good player...but how does he help the team when he's not there?

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

That's a huge "if"....at this point, I'd wonder how much patience the Vikings should have with this guy?  He's not a starter...he's undrafted, so has a pretty rock bottom contract...and he has shown no ability to grow and mature from his past mistakes.  I mean, he was busted for testing positive at the combine...he was busted for performance enhancing substance in the off season, and was suspended the first four games of this season...then he gets busted again for testing positive even before he begins serving the suspension...and his suspension is automatically increased to 8 games.  Hi might be a good player...but how does he help the team when he's not there?

One comment I would make is that he may not have been busted again after his PED suspension happened and before beginning his suspension. It is quite possible that the test that triggered the latest suspension happened before the PED suspension. It takes those things time to work through the system and it is supposed to be confidential until he is done exhausting his appeals. It is possible that both test results, positive for PED and positive for weed or whatever, came as part of the same test. The PED appeal process may have been quicker than the appeal process through the recreational drug program.

To be sure, I have no idea. I am just saying that we don't know that he screwed up again after his PED suspension. It could have all been part of the same downward spiral. The being present with Roc Thomas when he was arrested with all that weed may have been enough for the league to have probable cause and it is possible that the weed suspension that was currently announced is related to that.

Without doubt, I would have him on a zero tolerance policy now (since they apparently didn't already have him on a zero tolerance policy). You are right that the team hasn't invested enough in him to put up with too much of his garbage.