2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

That's a huge "if"....at this point, I'd wonder how much patience the Vikings should have with this guy?  He's not a starter...

No kidding it's a huge if.

Hill did play well as a rookie. Between his ability and the team's projected future need at corner, some patience is warranted. 

But obviously there's no way the team can or should put much trust in Hill staying clean given his ongoing problems. That's itself an issue: CB is such an important position that they'll have to cover for the risk that Hill will get suspended again.

It's nice that Hill's a good player, but if the risk is too high that he's not going to be available, the Vikings will have to pre-emptively replace him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Wow really, Scandrick?  Decent slot corner for sure and nice vet one could get cheap because is on the down tick of his career.  Says a lot about potentially cutting Holton Hill then that is for sure just bringing Scandrick in.  No way he starts in the slot, I assume Hughes does or Alexander but would be a decent vet to bring and not have to rely on Boyd the rookie and let him develop.  Can Scandrick still ball, that is debatable.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Wow really, Scandrick?  Decent slot corner for sure and nice vet one could get cheap because is on the down tick of his career.  Says a lot about potentially cutting Holton Hill then that is for sure just bringing Scandrick in.  No way he starts in the slot, I assume Hughes does or Alexander but would be a decent vet to bring and not have to rely on Boyd the rookie and let him develop.  Can Scandrick still ball, that is debatable.  

Only thing I can think of is they may view Alexander as someone who may play on the outside with Hill's suspension and Hughes's recovery in the event of a Rhodes or Waynes injury. Having a veteran slot player at least could allow for it. 

Edited by vikingsrule

15 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Only thing I can think of is they may view Alexander as someone who may play on the outside with Hill's suspension and Hughes's recovery in the event of a Rhodes or Waynes injury. Having a veteran slot player at least could allow for it. 

Really, I would think it's because, without Hughes, they don't have a true backup for Alexander in the slot.  

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Really, I would think it's because, without Hughes, they don't have a true backup for Alexander in the slot.  

Kearse can also backup NCB.

Scandrick mostly played outside corner for the Chiefs last year, so he could be the CB4 who rotates in with Rhodes/Waynes outside, not just a backup for Alexander in the slot. 

49 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

True and sadly Rhodes and Waynes to get injured far too often, especially Rhodes of late.  I would think if one gets injured Hughes is the outside corner and Alexander stays inside, not sure Alexander would be great outside but maybe if given time will see.  Been a little disappointed with Alexander coming out of Clemson, but he did improve last year and hopefully he can keep improving.

18 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Kearse can also backup NCB.

Scandrick mostly played outside corner for the Chiefs last year, so he could be the CB4 who rotates in with Rhodes/Waynes outside, not just a backup for Alexander in the slot. 

Kearse I feel can only be a slot corner if he is asked to cover the TE, if asked to cover a slot WR he would struggle doing that.  He helps in the slot on blitzes and run defense, has decent range and length but cannot handle the quicks of some slot WRs in the NFL I feel.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

There were a few. Same for Blackmon

Looking back now, that was such a sad draft.  Pretty much everyone in between Luck and Kuechly (at #9) was a bust...or at the very least a massive underachieving disappointment.  

55 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Looking back now, that was such a sad draft.  Pretty much everyone in between Luck and Kuechly (at #9) was a bust...or at the very least a massive underachieving disappointment.  

Blackmon, Kalil and Claiborne...wound up being 3 pretty awful 1st round picks.  What could our coaches do with Claiborne that no one else has done?