2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

On 7/26/2019 at 9:38 AM, vikingsrule said:

He's 29 so odds are pretty slim.

He may not every become a lock down true number 1 like he was drafted to be, but he has been solid in the last couple years and Zim has had success in helping extend careers of players like this in the past. 

19 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

They are looking at going into week 1 with the backup outside corner being Kris Boyd

I still don’t see this being all that much of an issue. Would I like to bring in a veteran? Sure, but Scandrick isn’t going to be an outside threat, and Claiborne has been just as bad as any rookie option that has played the past couple years.

maybe having another veteran is a little better, but I’m guessing Alexander would slide out and we would see a lot more of Kearse being on the field with an outside CB going down.

Eagles signed Scandrick. Vikings reportedly didn’t make him an offer:

I bet Zimmer would rather have Claiborne, the former first round pick. Could go 4 deep with first round corners once Hughes gets back, plus Alexander the 2nd rounder. 

41 minutes ago, Krauser said:

I bet Zimmer would rather have Claiborne, the former first round pick. Could go 4 deep with first round corners once Hughes gets back, plus Alexander the 2nd rounder. 

And on top of that, Holton “Cypress” Hill was probably a first round pick with no drug violations at Texas, when he comes back that’s a lot of 1st round talent I. The defensive backfield when you add Smith to the factor.

22 hours ago, Krauser said:

That opinion is supported by a supposed source on the Vikings that had told PA that they liked "the guy coming in on Friday" better than the Scandrick.  

On 7/28/2019 at 9:30 AM, Krauser said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037268/article/veteran-cb-morris-claiborne-working-out-for-vikings

Morris Claiborne I would not mind in the Vikings current situation I agree.  Is a big physical CB similar to Xavier Rhodes and could maybe learn a ton from Xavier as well.  I did not know Mike Hughes is out, for how long?   Still would love to get this guy no question about it.  No clue how they still have money for any of this, he was paid around $3 million last year, doubt we have that sitting around but probably he would play for only $1 or so just to get another chance.  Surprised the Jets did not bring him back they do not have some great situation at CB there I would not say and they lost Skrine also.   

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037268/article/veteran-cb-morris-claiborne-working-out-for-vikings

Morris Claiborne I would not mind in the Vikings current situation I agree.  Is a big physical CB similar to Xavier Rhodes and could maybe learn a ton from Xavier as well.  I did not know Mike Hughes is out, for how long?   Still would love to get this guy no question about it.  No clue how they still have money for any of this, he was paid around $3 million last year, doubt we have that sitting around but probably he would play for only $1 or so just to get another chance.  Surprised the Jets did not bring him back they do not have some great situation at CB there I would not say and they lost Skrine also.   

Am I only one who is dubious about signing Claiborne?  I don't know who else might be available, but chances are they're just as good and less expensive.

42 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Am I only one who is dubious about signing Claiborne?  I don't know who else might be available, but chances are they're just as good and less expensive.

There are some others out there Brent Grimes, Leon Hall, David Amerson, Captain Munnerlyn, Shareece Wright, Sam Shields etc.

Claiborne is the best of all of them I think, and not sure Munnerlyn is good enough to bring back but maybe.  So they do have options and will have to make a move soon here.  But yeah I agree not sure they have much cash to actually pay a good guy like Claiborne what he should get.  

Claiborne isn’t as old (29, a few months older than Rhodes) as most of the other options. He’s got the first round pedigree, which we know Zimmer likes, and has a track record of success in coaching up. 

The cap space required would be the difference between his salary and that of the player (no doubt a rookie) who he’d bump off the roster. So if he signs for $1M, the net cap effect would be ~$500K. 

If they’re going to sign someone, that should happen soon, give the new addition a chance to start to learn the system. 

30 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Claiborne isn’t as old (29, a few months older than Rhodes) as most of the other options. He’s got the first round pedigree, which we know Zimmer likes, and has a track record of success in coaching up. 

The cap space required would be the difference between his salary and that of the player (no doubt a rookie) who he’d bump off the roster. So if he signs for $1M, the net cap effect would be ~$500K. 

If they’re going to sign someone, that should happen soon, give the new addition a chance to start to learn the system. 

And they probably should sign someone.  But, they might be waiting a few days to give the younger guys some more snaps to see where they're at and how quickly they can progress.   

Edited by swede700

On 7/30/2019 at 8:22 AM, Krauser said:

At this point, most veterans that have been sitting around on the street will be looking at signing for the veteran minimum and will qualify for the veteran minimum cap benefit. In other words, their base salary will only count against the cap as $645k.  Once you offset the $495k base salary (rookie minimum) that is being dropped the additional cap hit is pretty light. It would be $150k plus the signing bonus which cannot be more than $90k for the contract to qualify for the veteran minimum benefit.