2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That's certainly possible about the CB...not so sure about the WR though...I think they'll roll with whoever makes the team at that position.  There probably isn't going to be a WR that's going to be any better than what they already have.  

WR is the one position where I'd want to add an experienced veteran as a backup. I wouldn't expect it to be difficult to find a veteran WR better than Treadwell, and WR is a position where there are a lot of numbers across the league. There's bound to be a few decent ones that could fill in a 3rd or 4th WR and offer more than Treadwell can in 2019.

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

WR is the one position where I'd want to add an experienced veteran as a backup. I wouldn't expect it to be difficult to find a veteran WR better than Treadwell, and WR is a position where there are a lot of numbers across the league. There's bound to be a few decent ones that could fill in a 3rd or 4th WR and offer more than Treadwell can in 2019.

Treadwell's not making the team regardless, so I'm not looking for anyone to upgrade from him.  As it stands today, I'm expecting the depth chart to be Diggs, Thielen, Beebe, Taylor, and Johnson.  

Considering they are likely to run a lot more 2-TE sets than they have in the past, there isn't really a tremendous need to have an additional veteran backup outside of Taylor.  

Edited by swede700

29 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Treadwell's not making the team regardless, so I'm not looking for anyone to upgrade from him.  As it stands today, I'm expecting the depth chart to be Diggs, Thielen, Beebe, Taylor, and Johnson.  

Considering they are likely to run a lot more 2-TE sets than they have in the past, there isn't really a tremendous need to have an additional veteran backup outside of Taylor.  

You're looking at a very limited skill set of backup receivers with that grouping. Unless one of the rookie WRs surprise, I don't really see anyone that has the ability to get behind a defense and can somewhat stetch the field. At least Robinson had a role, albeit limited, that produced. I wouldn't even be opposed to bringing him back honestly, but I'm fine giving Johnson and Mitchell a chance first, but if they don't impress, I think Spielman will need to check the waiver wire.

Edited by vikingsrule

I personally don't really care about whether a guy can stretch the field, nor do I see the real need for it.  But, if you want that guy, then replace Taylor or Johnson (or a TE) with Badet, problem solved.  If a guy has 4.3 speed and hits the waiver wire after final cuts, he's no better than the guys they already have on roster.  

25 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i like how it's the former mods who can't keep the discussions in the proper topic threads... lol

I've always had a tendency to veer off on occasion.  I even did it when I was a mod...then I would catch myself.  xD

On 8/6/2019 at 12:15 PM, Ozzy said:

giphy.gif

He for sure made nice progression last year in terms of making plays and being active out there.  Good to hear that is continuing especially with Hughes and Hill out early on.  Wish the same could be said for Kearse at safety.  

There's an article out on the Athletic right now about Mackensie and the strides he's made.  Here's an excerpt that tells you everything you need to know...

Mackensie Alexander, the Vikings’ fourth-year nickelback, went through the finer points of playing the position with Craig James, the young pupil Alexander singled out on this day. They worked on their stances and Alexander mimicked a wide receiver to illustrate points to James.

14 hours ago, swede700 said:

That's certainly possible about the CB...not so sure about the WR though...I think they'll roll with whoever makes the team at that position.  There probably isn't going to be a WR that's going to be any better than what they already have.  

And they might have to use that money on a potential tackle that could be cut. 

• 3 weeks later...

Vikings cornerback Holton Hill put Seahawks quarterback Paxton Lynch in the concussion protocol earlier this month with a helmet-to-helmet hit while Lynch was sliding at the end of a run and, as expected, he’s heard from the league about it. According to multiple reports, Hill has been fined $10,527 for unnecessary roughness. He was also penalized and ejected from the game at the time of the hit.

Hill: “It wasn’t intentional, I hope he’s doing OK. That wasn’t my intention to hit him helmet to helmet. I was already going in for the tackle and then he slid.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/27/holton-hill-fined-10527-for-hit-on-paxton-lynch/

45 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Would a rookie free agent that's probably not going to make the team get the same fine?

Out does it come out of there paychecks so they wouldn't have to pay unless they are getting paid?

When a player is fined it comes out of their next game check unless the appeal the fine. If they appeal it, the possibly modified fine, if there is still a fine, comes out of their next game check after the appeal process is completed. If the fine is more than 25% of their weekly pay they can get it lowered on appeal. It can be 50% of their weekly pay for second offenses.

So it would seem, no they don't have to pay if they don't play in any games after the fine is imposed.

Source: CBA

Edited by Cearbhall