Broncos CB Chris Harris demands new contract or trade

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd offer up a 3rd, then give him the deal that the Broncos gave Kareem Jackson...

Interestingly enough, on his Wiki page - it has "#25 - Houston Texans" underneath his picture.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Harris_Jr.

@Forge!

I HAVE... THE GIFT!

BRING ME SAQUAN!

You should probably work on that whole clowney thing first

• Like 3

Interesting to see. I remember when he signed his last contract, even at the time it was acknowledged that he took well under his market value. I guess he's changed his views later in his career. 

Good for him. I always laugh when fans suggest players should take less money from billionaire NFL teams so that the teams have more cap space to increase their super bowl odds by 0.01%. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Is he strictly slot?

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I made this mistake in a previous thread... The answer is apparently "lol no"

He's perhaps the top slot CB in the game.  But yeah, he can play outside.   He's not quite a lockdown CB outside, but still functions very well there, probably more like top 10-15 outside CB.  He's a slot beast though.   Literally top slot guy or #2 last 3 years.  And no signs of slowing down there.

Frankly, if DEN isn't a realistic contender (and I don't think they are), they should have been thinking about this for a while.  But Elway & new coach Fangio have said they see 2019 as win-now, so extension talk was back-burnered until now (because if they are rebuilding, extending Harris made zero sense, which I get) - but I actually think for the org, as long as they aren't cornered into selling low, this is the right move.   

The only issue as I see it now is that PP could also be on the CB market - but if he's not, then getting a 1st for Harris Jr. and moving forward would not be a crazy idea at all for a non-contender.  Anything less than that, though, and I think they'd be better off waiting this out - even getting a 2020 1st is a better prop than selling low now - because shutdown CB's are such a scarce commodity, waiting this out unless you get full value is never a bad idea (always the risk of injury, but decline hasn't been apparent, so he'd likely be the top CB available in-season by a fair margin).

Before ppl ask why DEN could hold out - keep in mind Harris is only signed for 8.8M this year, and DEN's already paid about 1M of that in workout/roster bonuses - so for 7.8M this year and the surefire 2020 CB franchise tag around 13-14M, for 2 years and 22M, it's pretty easy to say he's a bargain at his level of play for any team who wants to acquire him (and if need be, DEN could always convert some of the remaining 2019 7.8M salary left to a bonus to take on more $, if that's somehow the sticking point).  So while it would be sad to part ways, DEN isn't forced to do anything rash here - which allows them to wait on best-value type offers.

Will be interesting to see how this goes down.

Edited by Broncofan