Official NFL Draft (Gameday?) Thread [Will Update UDFA in OP When Available]

steelcurtain29

11 hours ago, wwhickok said:

That's fair, but I think his skill set suggests he's capable of it.  Benny Snell, I think, will compliment Conner and Samuels well.  He isn't going to be relied upon to be the top receiving threat by any means, but I think that he is capable of it.  He is also a guy, I think can handle a large load of work if Conner isn't healthy.

I definitely agree that he should be a nice compliment to those guys. I would have liked to see if they could have gotten him a round later but I like that he is a tough and durable RB with good character.

5 hours ago, Livewire said:

I definitely agree that he should be a nice compliment to those guys. I would have liked to see if they could have gotten him a round later but I like that he is a tough and durable RB with good character.

Everyone we drafted, tbh, has this common denominator. They're all class act people with talent.  I don't think that was by any means done accidentally after the season we just experienced.

• Like 2

I really did not like the Gentry pick. Usually I soften on draft picks as times wears on. I don't see it with him. His main positive attribute is that he is really big. His list of negatives is somehow bigger than he is. He's slow, he can't catch, he isn't very agile, he's a bad blocker, he's weak. I wish we would have just signed Toilolo from DET. He's the same size and actually can block. I think Colbert got jumpy, and rightfully so, as all his TE targets got snatched up half a round earlier than he expected. 

We could still sign Toilolo, but that would make Gentry redundant. I think we're not going to be seeing the 12 offense too much this year. I think we'll see a whole lot of 4 and 5 WR sets because we can't even really trust Vance to play a huge amounts of snaps. 

I think this is the only position we've truly botched this offseason. I don't think the FO expected James to sign such a lucrative deal, and they did not have an adequate response plan.

I really think Colbert and Co weren’t expecting Moreau and Wesco to go within the 10 picks or so right before the Steelers pick and they reached for their next highest rated guy.

Unless for some reason they’re comfortable with Grimble getting half the snaps going forward...

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I really did not like the Gentry pick. Usually I soften on draft picks as times wears on. I don't see it with him. His main positive attribute is that he is really big. His list of negatives is somehow bigger than he is. He's slow, he can't catch, he isn't very agile, he's a bad blocker, he's weak. I wish we would have just signed Toilolo from DET. He's the same size and actually can block. I think Colbert got jumpy, and rightfully so, as all his TE targets got snatched up half a round earlier than he expected. 

We could still sign Toilolo, but that would make Gentry redundant. I think we're not going to be seeing the 12 offense too much this year. I think we'll see a whole lot of 4 and 5 WR sets because we can't even really trust Vance to play a huge amounts of snaps. 

I think this is the only position we've truly botched this offseason. I don't think the FO expected James to sign such a lucrative deal, and they did not have an adequate response plan.

I agree. I REALLY wish we would have gone with Ben Burr-Kirven, Kris Boyd, or Amani Oruwariye. 

Year after year we seem to go with a position of need OVER the best player available in at least one round.  That is a recipe for a decline IMO.

Edited by DR43

3 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I really think Colbert and Co weren’t expecting Moreau and Wesco to go within the 10 picks or so right before the Steelers pick and they reached for their next highest rated guy.

Unless for some reason they’re comfortable with Grimble getting half the snaps going forward...

That may be, but it sure would be nice if Tombert would have learned from the Burns debacle, that you don't panic in those situations. Just an all-around waste of a 5th Rd pick...better than a 1st, at least...and thankfully, we had 8 other picks.

5 hours ago, DR43 said:

I agree. I REALLY wish we would have gone with Ben Burr-Kirven, Kris Boyd, or Amani Oruwariye. 

Year after year we seem to go with a position of need OVER the best player available in at least one round.  That is a recipe for a decline IMO.

I never understood the mentality of taking the best player instead of need. How do you get better by ignoring needs? I can see if a top talent falls or an exceptional player is there, but other than that, needs have to be addressed.