2019 NFL Draft thread

bucsfan333

Just now, Pickle Rick said:

Can someone recap our picks today for me? 

We took a Nassib clone; Anthony Nelson. They're pretty much the same player; 6'7" 270lbs with good movement for guys so big. He was announced as a LB, so he might play EDGE instead of 5tech.

We took a kicker; Matt Gay. He's got a cannon for a leg and is actually accurate beyond 40. But he's still a kicker and that's a sore spot. Three other kickers/punters went after he did. Two were traded up for.

Pretty much everyone I wanted to take today is gone. 😂 But there are still a few guys left who I think we like.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We took a Nassib clone; Anthony Nelson. They're pretty much the same player; 6'7" 270lbs with good movement for guys so big. He was announced as a LB, so he might play EDGE instead of 5tech.

We took a kicker; Matt Gay. He's got a cannon for a leg and is actually accurate beyond 40. But he's still a kicker and that's a sore spot. Three other kickers/punters went after he did. Two were traded up for.

Pretty much everyone I wanted to take today is gone. 😂 But there are still a few guys left who I think we like.

Thanks.

Any chance we help out the oline and grab anyone that will sure up the pass blocking 

1 minute ago, Pickle Rick said:

Thanks.

Any chance we help out the oline and grab anyone that will sure up the pass blocking 

Martez Ivey (UF), Fred Johnson (UF), Tyler Jordan (UF), Tyree St. Louis (Miami), and Wyatt Miller (UCF) are all guys we've visited with. Could just be priority free agents we wanted to woo.

So I guess that new car smell is gone for the current regime after this draft.  Really ashame Beck s career appears over, and Justin Evans is really uncertain.

Interesting they pretty much only torched the secondary with the new coaching staff.  We ll find out if they were right or wrong.  They really need Barrett or Spence to be productive this season.  

I guess the Matt Bryant curse will not end with the prodigal son coming home who is actually near grandparent s age.

#ItsABucsLife

• Like 1

Alright well, draft complete. I’ve got no issues with the approach this year. We had a top 5 offense that put plenty of points on the board last year. We lost games because of the defense and special teams.

Sure our OL could be upgraded but a few notes on that. We got a vet to hold down RG even if he is average. Maybe we can utalize guys like Liedtke who never got a shot. But above all we should have better coaching. Hopefully we can run block better and do a bit better in pass. It helps Jameis is so good outside the pocket, but still, we put up points and had a top 5 unit with this garbage OL last season.

We are in a passing league and moving to a 3-4. We absolutely had to get better in the secondary. We were signing guys off the street to start last year mid year. Get a bunch of young talent and make them compete and the best man will start and then we’ll have some depth. 

We will have more LBs and need to control the center of the field, especially in this defense playing in this division. White and David might be the best ILB combo in football now and combine for 10 sacks. And White is still learning and improving at LB. Backing up the inside we have Buchanan who had success with Arians and out wide we have JPP and Barrett.

Yeah the concept of a kicker stings in the 5th but games are regularly won and lost by kicking and we know that all too well. I thought Santos did well last year but there are definitely limitations there. If Gay needs to improve anywhere it’s his 3 step run up and some accuracy from 40-49 yards out but I think with narrower hashes it should help. We already know he’s good from 50+. The fact people started trading up for kickers after our pick of Gay makes me feel even better from a value perspective.

So basically we said there is one key area that needed to be upgraded in order for us to win games and that’s defense with a kicker right after. We went all out and did that with not just talent but leaders. I’m down and look forward to not being down 2 TDs early in games anymore and sweating bullets every time we kick and extra point.

Edited by Lil' Shorty
  • Like 3