Steelers extend QB Ben Roethlisberger (2 years, $63 M)

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

so his caphit for 2019 remains low but in 2020 it skyrockets?

Ben's likely in a unique position where they'll try to put a decent chunk of his signing bonus into the ledger against this season's cap because they rolled over the cap space they budgeted for Bell on the tag last season (though some of that likely went to pay the cap-penalty/dead money involved in trading AB). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I mean, you were suggesting Tom wasn't making that much because his wife gets paid a ton. Flacco was drafted before the rookie wage scale went into effect.

I personally think not overpaying your QB is important but this cap percentage for your QB thing is a bit overblown. Matt Ryan was paid a crazy amount in 2016 and they were very close. Only a matter of time until a QB with 13%+ caphit wins a SB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyty said:

Who has 2 thumbs, 14 letters in their last name and is not even remotely worth $31.5m a year?

You have to overpay good quarterbacks... Or you end up settling for a guy like Mitch Trubisky.

• Like 5

At least we can shelve the "Big Ben might retire" talk..for about 10 games, until Ben brings it up again...only to keep playing.

If all it took to get Ben to stop the retirement talk was to draft a successor, man, they should just keep drafting Day 3 guys every 2 years (I know Rudolph was Rd3, but you get the idea).

Edited by Broncofan

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

You have to overpay good quarterbacks... Or you end up settling for a guy like Mitch Trubisky.

It’s not even an overpay.

He’s a first ballot HoFer who’s still playing at an exceptionally high level.

His AAV is less than Wilson and Rogers, similar to Ryan and Cousins.

This is just what a QB with his skills and resume get paid, not sure why folks are surprised by this.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Chiefs FTW said:

A lot for a dude who is clearly on the decline.

Interesting take considering he just had his second highest completion percentage in his career, the highest yard total in his career and the most TD’s in his career all last season.

If he’s clearly declining as you insist, he’s certainly figured out some excellent ways to compensate for that decline so it doesn’t impact his production.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Interesting take considering he just had his second highest completion percentage in his career, the highest yard total in his career and the most TD’s in his career all last season.

If he’s clearly declining as you insist, he’s certainly figured out some excellent ways to compensate for that decline so it doesn’t impact his production.

Ben has always been, and still is, capable of having a 500 yard 6 TD game against anybody, but he has also always been capable of those 4 INT games where he literally throws the game away on his own. It seems like lately he has had less of the latter and more of the former, and with Brown gone that trend may continue.

While he has statistically performed well and consistent over the past 4 years, I have noticed the amount of over/underthrown deep balls seems to have greatly increased the past two years. I don't have any real stats but I swear he averaged nearly 1.5 wide open TD's on deep throws a game during the 2018 season.