Steelers extend QB Ben Roethlisberger (2 years, $63 M)

RaidersAreOne

On 4/30/2019 at 1:20 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

1) More to teams than just the QBs.

2) Steelers were 4-1-1 vs the AFC North.

3) Steelers lost a bunch of close games.

People didn't forget....its just not exactly relevant information.  They were a very average and inconsistent team that lost a weak division....nuff said.

Boswell started the season the second most accurate kicker ever only off the official list by 5 attempts and ended up missing a field goal in the tie to Cleveland and 2 field goals in the loss to Oakland. Flip those games and we finish 11-5, and I believe they would have knocked NE out of their first round bye and put Houston in there. The only game where Ben really played terribly and they didn't win was vs Cleveland the first time. The team as a whole just played really sloppily down the stretch and they lost the season for it.

If Ben plays out the entire 3 years he should set some records, including easily taking the #1 spot for most sacked QB with only 24 needed (24 last year, career low of 17).

At 56,194 total passing yards he is behind Marino (61,361), Favre (71,838), and Manning (71,940) for the number 3 all time spot (I'm assuming Brady will pass Manning and be uncatchable by Ben). Now, Ben would need to average nearly 5250 passing yards a season over the next 3 years to surpass Manning, so I sincerely doubt that happens, but with the way the NFL has been trending it is possible he gets close to Favre. I also assume Eli won't play long enough to ever affect those standings, but Rivers could very well play more than 3 more years and take the #3 spot.

He is also 57 passing touchdowns behind Marino which is very doable in 3 more seasons, although the 508 of Favre would take an average of nearly 49 TD's over 3 years to pass so he won't be doing that without more time.

Having averaged about 565 pass attempts over the past 5 seasons he should surpass Elway and Marino on the pass attempts leaderboards, however he would again need more time to go any further being 2,212 behind Manning. He should similarly pass Marino for pass completions.

He is also currently 32nd all time for interceptions and is 20 behind Terry Bradshaw for the franchise record. Having averaged 13.6 over the past 5 seasons with a low of 9, he should pass Bradshaw and settle somewhere between Bradshaw at 22 and Warren Moon at 16.

For fourth quarter comebacks he is currently tied at 6th with John Elway at 31 behind Marino at 33, Unitas (and Brees) at 34, Brady at 35, and Manning at 43. He has historically been good for about 2 to 3 of these a season, but because the stats is tied up in so many other factors it's hard to tell where he will land. He should surpass everybody except for Manning and the other current contenders for certain but he does have a shot at surpassing manning, although that will likely not be the record in three seasons anyways (Brees got 7 last year).

It will be interesting to see Philip Rivers' next contract because he is a guy I think can play for at least another 4 or 5 seasons and is only behind Ben in most of the bulk stats by a half a season or so. If he does indeed play that long it is quite possible that he will surpass Favre/Manning for most of the bulk passing stats and possibly Brady/Brees if either of them retires or otherwise stops compiling after/during 2019.

On 2019-05-01 at 2:31 AM, MossyMoss said:

Money well spent, interesting to see if Ben can maintain the level with AB gone. 

this and will he show up in september. Throwing away a few games every september doesn't help  now that they aren't guaranteed a playoff spot.  I don't see how AB was to blame for ben throwing to the other team as often and when he did. AB is a bit different than a broncos DL, and why throw into traffic down there in the first place. When I saw plays like that, it had me thinking maybe he should retire? I mean he has talked about for years now, and he has played like ti at times. 

On 2019-05-01 at 9:17 AM, TXsteeler said:

If Ben plays out the entire 3 years he should set some records, including easily taking the #1 spot for most sacked QB with only 24 needed (24 last year, career low of 17).

what good are records though when he's at home watching the playoffs?  He needs to win playoffs and a SB (or more than 1 SB ) .