2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread Part 2 - The Draft Begins!

y2lamanaki

27 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

For the life of me don't understand how these teams can't relax on the bad interview guys. Most of these kids have never had to interview...Ever. Seeing as they've been NFL focus since age 10. Hell I know adults who struggle with low wage 5 mins interviews. Now add in this could change my entire family life in one day...naw no pressure. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sherm said:

For the life of me don't understand how these teams can't relax on the bad interview guys. Most of these kids have never had to interview...Ever. Seeing as they've been NFL focus since age 10. Hell I know adults who struggle with low wage 5 mins interviews. Now add in this could change my entire family life in one day...naw no pressure. 

Never have had interviews and more importantly just struggle in this setting. If he has off the field concerns that is one thing, but if just didn't like how he interviewed? That's just stupid. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm really shocked Butler is still available. Mildy shocked that Thompson is still on the board. Was not as a big fan of CGJ so I'm not that surprised he's still there. Day 3 will be very interesting. Hoping we take a flier on Tim Harris in the later rounds. I think he'd be perfect for our scheme, though he's a little older. UDFA is probably more realistic but I'd like it if we just drafted him outright.

Wouldn't be shocked at all by Harris. He was one of our official 30. 

Some GMs and coaches can't keep their ego out of it, for better or worse. Some like swagger and edgy confidence out of prospects. Some get put off by it, and want to see a kid humbled and quivering at their feet. 

I don't know. We saw last year that it probably wasn't going to go well for our pass rush. Turned out true. I think many are starting to see the durability issues of the year to come. Will that also come true? All we can do is stand by... but I'm not loving the arrogance of the gamble... and the Hurd pick still has me bristling a bit, tbh. Enough so that I'll keep track of the picks on laptop, but to hell with watching these next rds on tv live. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm curious how we feel about Mack Wilson. Completely undisciplined, so bad fit, but there's a ton of talent there, and we can sit him behind Kwon and Warner for at least a year

Give me Tranquill over him all day. 

So seems like quite a few of the draft folks like Hurd. Definitely intrigued to see how Shanny uses him. Clear he wants him to put on some weight. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Give me Tranquill over him all day. 

So seems like quite a few of the draft folks like Hurd. Definitely intrigued to see how Shanny uses him. Clear he wants him to put on some weight. 

I'll admit, far more intrigued now by the selection with the Revelation that we view him as a potential tight end

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll admit, far more intrigued now by the selection with the Revelation that we view him as a potential tight end

FWIW, Eric Crocker seems to think he's fine at WR and run very solid routes at full speed which makes up for his slower testing time. Also doesn't that he is all raw despite not having much experience at WR. 

Hurd himself in an interview said he's 1000% a WR.

Let's see how Shanahan uses him but I see him definitely being used in the RZ in multiple ways. 

Back to Pettis and Samuel our starting WRs, man is it going to fun watching then kill DBs with their release at the LOS. We all say a great trait of Shanny is how he is able to scheme guys open, but I don't think he wants to rely on that too much. He rather the receiver win without needing to be schemed open. It limits the offense when that happens. A big complaint early on was how our receivers couldn't separate against Minny or Detroit. Well, that's no longer an issue with Pettis and Samuel. 

Some good interior offensive line and safeties on the board. Hoping that’s where we go with this pick. 

As far as the interview, I don’t think the issues are if someone is polished. I think it’s if they show character flaws in that interview and lack of self awareness which can certainly effect if you’re able to coach up a player. For example Metcalf and Polite both supposedly got defensive and fought what the coaches said. If you display that quality in an interview, certainly logical to think you’re going to be difficult to coach as a player. 

I really don’t think it was that someone didn’t close hard or rambled in their answers or didn’t have proper posture to show engagement. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sherm said:

Honestly depends on what went bad with the interview. If a guy is nervous or shuts down because of nerves it is a totally different story than someone that sits there not showing any interest in what is happening or just having a bad attitude about it. If its the first yeah no problem you maybe get him in for a visit or you let your scouts do some extra searching but when its the second you should do better if it has been your focus since age 10.