Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
y2lamanaki

2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread Part 2 - The Draft Begins!

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Which is why i said except with our 1st or 2nd pick. And we went the same way you went just with another guy. For me Williams probably has a slightly higher rating than Samuel who i rated higher than Brown. 

Reading is hard

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5cc5d7ac6e35414249

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

but who could we have picked where it was good value that has shown what AC did in 2017. I think AC is somewhere between 2017 and 2018 personally but seeing what he did in 2017 i want to give him another shot.

I think he will have every chance to start and if he fails then ward is the insurance. I really think AC is going to be given another chance to start.

Edited by 49erurtaza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

It wasn't a big if this time last year. 

Yes it was...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 49erurtaza said:

I think he will have every chance to start and if he fails then ward is the insurance. I really think AC is going to be given another chance to start.

I think its the other way around. Ward will probably start and then get injured after a few weeks where we give AC another shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Justone2 said:

I think its the other way around. Ward will probably start and then get injured after a few weeks where we give AC another shot. 

More then likely in preseason 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly watching the presser i can understand where they come from in that aspect. If you gonna draft someone he has to be better than what you have. At corner we have Spoon and Moore who are comparable to whatever we could have picked except at out 1st or 2nd pick and with those they went with other guys that will slot in as a starter from day one so can't complain. Just drafting a corner just because you need one. For the FS position i think we should have taken someone to at least battle with Colbert but i can see why they didn't draft one looking at who was available when we picked.

Everyone should understand where they were coming from in that regard. Everyone in here thought we were going to sign a safety, and a lot of people, both in here and just around the NFL in general, assumed that we would be one of the top contenders for ET. Even after we punted safeties in free agency, most thought we would go safety in rounds two or three, still openly indicating that safety was a need. I don't remember many people coming to my aid when I was saying I didn't think we were going safety in the first two days lol. 

As for corner, I don't know that you can say, "who could we have gotten in round three that was better than Moore". Potentially, several people. We have no idea if Moore is any good. Do I think Love could come in and immediately be better than Moore? Absolutely. Could also not be. No way to know. Spoon is a harder eval because his play had some really nice peaks, but also craters. May have been hard to get someone with the peaks, though I am a love fan, but could we have potentially gotten someone more consistent? Maybe. 

They did address the fact that the likely reason was because, "they got Bosa and Ford and that upgraded pass rush will help the secondary", but Mays admitted he just didn't necessarily believe that would happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes it was...

I did a quick search through last offseasons threads (biggest concern thread, boom/bust thread, etc.) and there was little to no mention of AC being a question. I thought we had something special after 2017, and I'm pretty sure most others did too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I did a quick search through last offseasons threads (biggest concern thread, boom/bust thread, etc.) and there was little to no mention of AC being a question. I thought we had something special after 2017, and I'm pretty sure most others did too. 

Nobody should be just fully buying into a six game sample size as being the legit starting point moving forward. That's just foolish. It wasn't as big of a question for the off season because there was no doubt that he was beginning the season as a starter, but the caveat should have always been, "if he's legit" or, "if what he did last year was for real", etc etc. 

Also, FWIW, the forum was pretty dead last year between the draft and the season. Going back and looking at the posts, there wasn't a whole lot going on one way or the other, and honestly, Colbert wasn't talked a lot about in general and there wasn't a whole lot of talk ongoing in general last year. I mean, like using the biggest concern thread - that was always pass rush. Just because Colbert wasn't mentioned with regards to what the biggest concern was doesn't mean that it was a concern...I mean, quite clearly the pass rush was the hugest issue. IThat's a straight forward question. Boom / Bust thread...nobody mentioned him for boom, nor bust, nor crap or get off the pot. Doesn't mean that it wasn't a concern or that it wasn't a big if...he just generally wasn't talked a ton about last off season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Everyone should understand where they were coming from in that regard. Everyone in here thought we were going to sign a safety, and a lot of people, both in here and just around the NFL in general, assumed that we would be one of the top contenders for ET. Even after we punted safeties in free agency, most thought we would go safety in rounds two or three, still openly indicating that safety was a need. I don't remember many people coming to my aid when I was saying I didn't think we were going safety in the first two days lol. 

As for corner, I don't know that you can say, "who could we have gotten in round three that was better than Moore". Potentially, several people. We have no idea if Moore is any good. Do I think Love could come in and immediately be better than Moore? Absolutely. Could also not be. No way to know. Spoon is a harder eval because his play had some really nice peaks, but also craters. May have been hard to get someone with the peaks, though I am a love fan, but could we have potentially gotten someone more consistent? Maybe. 

They did address the fact that the likely reason was because, "they got Bosa and Ford and that upgraded pass rush will help the secondary", but Mays admitted he just didn't necessarily believe that would happen

The safety thing i was pretty much already convinced we wouldn't draft anyone early after we resigned both Exum and Ward and i believe i posted that too. 

 

The corner thing to me is if we drafted someone for them to improve the team it isn't just beating out Moore. If they beat out Moore he still would be the 4th outside corner on the depth chart behind Sherman, Verrett and Spoon and then we have Reed and Williams on the inside and in case of need Ward who can play both spots. Is it good enough to be 100% confident with what we have no way but also it isn't bad enough to have it as the top need. I always said if we add someone in the secondary it is a veteran out of FA because we have young guys that have their ups and downs already. And if next year the situation is still the same i am pretty sure next year CB or S will be on top of our priority list going in the offseason just like Edge was this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking around the division, I have to admit that I thought both the Lambs & Seachickens had solid drafts. The Cards? Meh....not so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 757-NINER said:

Looking around the division, I have to admit that I thought both the Lambs & Seachickens had solid drafts. The Cards? Meh....not so much. 

Everyone loves the Cardinals' draft, which I find a little perplexing. And the picks I tend to like the most from them aren't the selections that they are being lauded for lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Everyone loves the Cardinals' draft, which I find a little perplexing. And the picks I tend to like the most from them aren't the selections that they are being lauded for lol

I love their draft as well. They did great. Elephant in the room is they ignored the OL, but maybe they feel the read option with Murray will slow down the pass rush and Murray will be able to get away from the rush like Wilson? I mean difference is Wilson is stock as hell and super strong. 

But the type of weapons they added and adding the best zone corner in the draft? Big time, and they completely revamped their WR core. 

Cardinals got great value for most of their picks.  I feel like everyone in our division drafted well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I love their draft as well. They did great. Elephant in the room is they ignored the OL, but maybe they feel the read option with Murray will slow down the pass rush and Murray will be able to get away from the rush like Wilson? I mean difference is Wilson is stock as hell and super strong. 

But the type of weapons they added and adding the best zone corner in the draft? Big time, and they completely revamped their WR core. 

Cardinals got great value for most of their picks.  I feel like everyone in our division drafted well. 

I definitely like the value in a lot of their picks...but the offensive line issue is just so huge. I mean, I get that they wanted to overhaul the weapons on offense, but right now, they are relying a ton on Murray being able to buy his own time and make magic happen. Not impossible...I mean, look at poor Deshaun Watson lol, but I think it's certainly asking a lot. If he can't do that, or if pass rushes overrun them fairly easily, it won't matter what kind of weapons they have because Murray won't have time to get them the ball. And they are really going to have to figure out that running game now, because there's no way I'm trusting that to be effective in any shape or form at the current point in time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Everyone loves the Cardinals' draft, which I find a little perplexing. And the picks I tend to like the most from them aren't the selections that they are being lauded for lol

I was a big Murray fan but to invest two top 10 picks, two years in a row, at the same position kind of kills the pick in terms of roster building for me. I like Butler. He was my #1 WR so to get him where they got him, I thought was great for them. Thompson was great value though, I wasn't a big fan of him and that was arguably a position of strength for them already. The Gaillard pick should help them some but its not nearly enough to help that O-Line. The OT from Howard is a massive project that will require time to bear fruit if he indeed shows anything. Wilson was decent pick@TE. The rest were meh for me...

Edited by 757-NINER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×