2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread Part 2 - The Draft Begins!

y2lamanaki

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I definitely like the value in a lot of their picks...but the offensive line issue is just so huge. I mean, I get that they wanted to overhaul the weapons on offense, but right now, they are relying a ton on Murray being able to buy his own time and make magic happen. Not impossible...I mean, look at poor Deshaun Watson lol, but I think it's certainly asking a lot. If he can't do that, or if pass rushes overrun them fairly easily, it won't matter what kind of weapons they have because Murray won't have time to get them the ball. And they are really going to have to figure out that running game now, because there's no way I'm trusting that to be effective in any shape or form at the current point in time. 

For sure, but Watson his rookie season when he was more of a threat to run the ball was able to manage a bad OL and that offense was unstoppable. I think the Cards wanted to make sure that Murray will have all the weapons he needs to be successful. Now, I rate Isabella higher than most so I get if some don't like that pick, but he's a legitimate deep threat. Butler in the 4th round was great value and Johnson has a chance to make the team and they got him in the 6th round.

As for the run game? I think automatically with the zone read and how it will slow down the opposing DL just enough will make it better. Look at how well the Texans run game was with Watson opposed to without him the last two years. I wouldn't be worried about that as much as hoping Murray doesn't get killed lol. 

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

1 (2). Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State
2 (36). Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
3 (67). Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor
4 (110). Mitch Wishnowsky, P, Utah
5 (148). Dre Greenlaw, LB, Arkansas
6 (176). Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford
6 (183). Justin Skule, T, Vanderbilt
6 (198). Tim Harris, CB, Virginia

Nick Bosa’s arrival could catapult this defense to the top of the NFC West. Sound extreme? Consider that San Francisco’s biggest problem last year was an anemic pass rush that not only made their Seahawks-style Cover 3 scheme impotent but also led to an astonishingly low seven forced turnovers on the season (four fewer than history’s previous low, set by four other teams). Suddenly the 49ers, with Bosa and ex-Chief Dee Ford bookending stud DeForest Buckner and gifted third-year pro Solomon Thomas (who must play better), have a threatening nickel pass rush to go in front of a linebacking unit that added run-and-chase dynamo Kwon Alexander alongside last year’s third-round sensation, Fred Warner. Without Bosa, all of these pieces would not click together so crisply.

The only downside is that San Fran’s secondary still has questions at No. 2 corner and second-string safety. Perhaps the Niners feel better about their secondary than we do—after all, instead of addressing it early in Round 4, they instead took a punter, Utah’s Mitch Wishnowsky. In Rounds 2 and 3 they took wide receivers Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd, rounding out their well-schemed offense that already has three passing game weapons who weren’t on the field most of last year: QB Jimmy Garoppolo, RB Jerick McKinnon and newly signed RB Tevin Coleman.

GRADE: B

From Andy Benoit. So clearly the recurring theme for the questions surrounding our pick is going to be the lack of movement in the secondary lol. Which again, is a perfectly fair question, as most of us ourselves questioned that heading into the off season. He gave the Cards an A (but then docked them a letter grade for having to trade Rosen lol), and a B- to both the Rams and Settle. 

Seemed to be a bit of a tough grader. Only gave Washington a B, and I liked their draft. He gave the Titans a B- and on name power alone, I loved that draft lol. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Everyone should understand where they were coming from in that regard. Everyone in here thought we were going to sign a safety, and a lot of people, both in here and just around the NFL in general, assumed that we would be one of the top contenders for ET. Even after we punted safeties in free agency, most thought we would go safety in rounds two or three, still openly indicating that safety was a need. I don't remember many people coming to my aid when I was saying I didn't think we were going safety in the first two days lol. 

I think quite a few people had the same thought. I cant remember who said it first on the forum. I'll admit I hoped that the thought process was wrong more that I thought it was actually wrong and I'm pretty sure I said something to that effect.

14 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I think quite a few people had the same thought. I cant remember who said it first on the forum. I'll admit I hoped that the thought process was wrong more that I thought it was actually wrong and I'm pretty sure I said something to that effect.

I got push back from quite a few, though you were not one of them. I think you were actually one of the ones that agreed with me. If I remember right, you said something along the lines that you suspected we may punt safety this year and push it out to next year like we did last year with pass rusher. That being said, I'm more or less talking about the critique of the draft from the Ringer's point of view - just that it's easy to see why they are criticizing our draft for that particular factor when everyone on this site felt we needed help on the back end. 

San Francisco 49ers
Draft picks: Ohio State DE Nick Bosa (No. 2 overall); South Carolina WR Deebo Samuel (No. 36); Baylor WR Jalen Hurd (No. 67); Utah P Mitch Wishnowsky (No. 110); Arkansas LB Dre Greenlaw (No. 148); Stanford TE Kaden Smith (No. 176); Vanderbilt OT Justin Skule (No. 183); Virginia CB Tim Harris(No. 198)
Day 1 grade: A 
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: C
Overall grade: A-
Draft analysis: The 49ers picked the best player in the 2019 NFL Draft in Nick Bosa. Adding him to a D-line that already includes Dee Ford means the Niners will greatly improve their pass rush, as they generated just 37 sacks in 2018 (bottom third of the league). Bosa's power comes into play as a pass rusher and run defender, and his career floor comparison is Chris Long -- that's pretty, pretty good.

Samuel's ability to work inside and outside, his toughness, and his strong hands made him a no-brainer pick for the receiver-needy Niners in Round 2. Hurd could be a big steal if he continues to grow as a receiver. The selection of two wideouts was somewhat expected, given their lack of talent at the position.

Wishnowsky was the top punter in the draft, so the Niners picked him up earlier than expected on Saturday. He likely was not the top player available on most teams' boards. Greenlaw brings speed to the team's defense. Smith is a solid tight end to back up George Kittle. Harris suffered through injuries in college but has starter potential.

Chad Reuter's grades. Little hard to take him seriously though - he gave out straight A's to eight teams in this draft LOL. And an average overall grade of at least an A- to like 2/3rds of them. 

20. San Francisco 49ers

Whom they drafted: DE Nick Bosa, WR Deebo Samuel, WR Jalen Hurd, P Mitch Wishnowsky, OLB Dre Greenlaw, TE Kaden Smith, OT Justin Skule, CB Tim Harris

John Lynch started with the no-brainer pick of Bosa, the best overall talent in the draft, giving the 49ers a good base. He got creative with Samuel and Hurd, and Smith was good value late. This class pales in comparison to Lynch's recent work, however.

Sporting news ranked the drafts 1-32. Obviously, we were number 20. Still, reading the comments, have no idea how we got "creative" with Deebo. That was in line with his expected draft placement tbh. 

NFC West

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Round 1 (2): Edge Nick Bosa, Ohio State

Round 2 (36): WR Deebo Samuel, South Carolina

Round 3 (67): WR Jalen Hurd, Baylor

Round 4 (110): P Mitch Wishnowsky, Utah

Round 5 (148): LB Dre Greenlaw, Arkansas

Round 6 (176): TE Kaden Smith, Stanford

Round 6 (183): OT Justin Skule, Vanderbilt

Round 6 (198): CB Tim Harris, Virginia

Day 1: 

A no-brainer selection for San Francisco, Nick Bosa is the best defensive player in the 2019 NFL Draft and has the potential to be even better than his brother Joey at the next level. If he can stay healthy, he is going to play at a high level in the NFL for a long time.

Day 2:

San Francisco grabbed one of the class’ best route-runners in Deebo Samuel to start Day 2 and then followed that up with a much rawer prospect in Baylor’s Jalen Hurd. Built a bit like a running back, Samuel is a freak after the catch that can ruin defenses in the short and intermediate areas of the field. Hurd, on the other hand, is a former running back turned big slot receiver that has insane measurables but will need polish at the next level.

Day 3:

Virginia’s Tim Harris, though he’s a bit of an older prospect, is a great value pick for the 49ers at pick No. 198. Virginia’s Bryce Hall will get ample attention as part of next year’s class, but his teammate, Harris, is also a very talented cornerback prospect. He earned the 11th-best coverage grade (87.1) in the class this past season.

DRAFT GRADE: ABOVE AVERAGE

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams

Edited by PapaShogun

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/draft-decisions/thors-nfl-draft-snap-grades?page=1

Looks like he gave us a C and not a D. Unless he changed it after his initial grade was a D. 

Dear God, he comped Harris to dontae Johnson lol. Don't let that man make this squad!!! Interesting on the Hurd = Pryor comp.

Don't see the Deebo = Kirk comp though

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Dear God, he comped Harris to dontae Johnson lol. Don't let that man make this squad!!! Interesting on the Hurd = Pryor comp.

Don't see the Deebo = Kirk comp though

That one doesn't even make any sense. Did he just look at their heights or something? Lol.

Draft grades are really the most pointless draft-related exercise: 

2. Mitchell Trubisky, QB North Carolina — Chicago Bears (from 49ers)

GRADE: D-

Analysis: The Bears followed up a horrendous trade with a huge reach. Trubisky may very well develop into a solid starter one day. He’s not a franchise-changing player, though, and that’s what you expect from a second-overall pick. The Bears passed up on a lot of defensive talent to take him, too.

3. Solomon Thomas, DE Stanford — San Francisco 49ers (from Bears)

GRADE: A-

Analysis: John Lynch nailed his first pick. Thomas is a disruptive force who can play end on early downs and kick inside on passing downs. He’ll join a young, promising line in San Francisco, now featuring three first-round picks in Thomas, Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner.

10. Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech — Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo)

GRADE: C-

Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

12. Deshaun Watson, QB Clemson — Houston Texans (from CLE via PHI)

GRADE: C+

Analysis: The Texans finally get their quarterback of the future. Or so they think. I’m not so sure Watson will ever develop into a top QB, but he’ll be an improvement over what they’ve had in Houston the last few years. That’s not saying a whole lot. The Clemson star needs to hit the deep ball more consistently and do a better job of reading defenses.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/2017-nfl-draft-grades-picks-analysis-results

You can't grade a pick in April. Discussing reach/value - sure. Be happy/unhappy with a pick - sure. But the grades are really meaningless. 

• Like 3