Draft Room - Day 2

Kiltman

Things I'm happy about:

• LT is set for the future, Mailata's story would've been awesome but feel much safer. Hopefully they can develop him into a guard.
  • Finally got a RB with talent and upside. Mid round rushers seemingly explore every year. But we never got anyone with great athleticism.
  • I like a WR who can box out and go get the ball, who also likes to block. SHould be a good reliable fit with Carson.

NFL.Com seems to like our draft for whatever  that's  worth?

Philadelphia Eagles
Draft picks: Washington State OT Andre Dillard (No. 22 overall); Penn State RB Miles Sanders (No. 53); Stanford WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (No. 57); Penn State DE Shareef Miller (No. 138); Northwestern QB Clayton Thorson (No. 167) 
Day 1 grade: A 
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis: Jason Peters has had a great NFL career, but he's 37 years old and his contract is due to expire after next season. Dillard and Lane Johnsonwill form a great tandem whenever Peters moves on, and giving up a late fourth- and sixth-rounder to trade up for Dillard was more than acceptable to get an elite pass protector.

The Eagles decided not to pick Alabama RB Josh Jacobs in the first round, but they got the second-best back in the draft in the second round. Sanders will be an impact back who could see his role grow quickly with Jordan Howarddue to become a free agent after the 2019 season. Arcega-Whiteside will be a red-zone stud and general safety valve for Carson Wentz.

Miller will offer a strong pass rush for the Eagles despite falling to the end of the fourth round. The Thorson pick made plenty of sense with Wentz coming off injury and Nick Foles gone.

I honestly don't get the hate from this draft. I think the 1st 3 picks are great. Yeah the last 2 were underwhelming and they didn't have a lot of picks, but they filled two pretty big future needs in LT and WR and an immediate and future need in RB. I think the Thorson and Miller picks are skewing the perception of the draft because they were the last things we saw. 

Side note: I think it is possible that we overrated this safety class. Most of them went much later than we expected (besides Savage). I do hope they sign somebody like Tre Boston after he no longer factors into the comp formula, because they really do need another safety. Unless they really view Maddox's longterm position as safety.

42 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Side note: I think it is possible that we overrated this safety class. Most of them went much later than we expected (besides Savage). I do hope they sign somebody like Tre Boston after he no longer factors into the comp formula, because they really do need another safety. Unless they really view Maddox's longterm position as safety.

maybe, all went lower than I thought.

But I wonder if they just cancelled eachother out a bit you know? as far as going early. There were so many of them this year that you really didn't need to draft one 1-40

I was shocked they didn't take one at 57, but with how the board was going..I got why they decided to get in front of that run

4 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I honestly don't get the hate from this draft. I think the 1st 3 picks are great. Yeah the last 2 were underwhelming and they didn't have a lot of picks, but they filled two pretty big future needs in LT and WR and an immediate and future need in RB. I think the Thorson and Miller picks are skewing the perception of the draft because they were the last things we saw. 

It's not that I dislike the Sanders or Arcega-Whiteside picks. I actually like both players.

It's just next years class looks to be significantly better at WR and RB.

Like if it were me I probably would've taken Nasir Adderley with the first pick then traded back with the 2nd pick and taken a RB like Darrell Henderson while picking up an extra 4th rounder.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

It's kind of funny, everybody on this site and other sites seems to think the Eagles had one of the Top 5-8 Draft... but of course the fans hate it. Could we have made a couple of sexier selections??? possibly. But I think this is going to be a good draft once we look back on it in a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, Eagles $5$ said:

It's kind of funny, everybody on this site and other sites seems to think the Eagles had one of the Top 5-8 Draft... but of course the fans hate it. Could we have made a couple of sexier selections??? possibly. But I think this is going to be a good draft once we look back on it in a couple of years. 

Hate is a strong word. Seeing something they could have done instead isn't hate.

I don't think many fans hate this draft at all. That is a gross exaggeration imo.