#2 Toronto Raptors vs. #3 Philadelphia 76ers | 2019 East Semifinals

11sanchez11

15 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Oh crap, I just remembered that in 2001 we beat the Raptors in 7 and then the Bucks in 7 to reach the Finals.

I'd like to order a rerun of that episode please.

LOVED Iverson during that time but man the Bucks would have been the better match up for the Lakers in the finals. At least we ended up getting Iverson's epic game 1 performance, but the Bucks had the best shot at competing against the Lakers that postseason. 

15 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Oh crap, I just remembered that in 2001 we beat the Raptors in 7 and then the Bucks in 7 to reach the Finals.

I'd like to order a rerun of that episode please.

That was at home though and Toronto has a somewhat decisive win in game 6 to force that game 7. It’s almost a reverse now all I need is for James Butler to attend his college graduation.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

LOVED Iverson during that time but man the Bucks would have been the better match up for the Lakers in the finals. At least we ended up getting Iverson's epic game 1 performance, but the Bucks had the best shot at competing against the Lakers that postseason. 

No one was beating the Lakers that year. 

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bucks were a way more balanced team, but I think on paper Philly was a decent matchup vs the Lakers. They basically had the best perimeter defender and the best low post defender. Perimeter defender did ok, post defender got mollywhopped. Bucks wouldn't go on the droughts that Philly did, but I think Kobe would have a way better series and Shaq would still do whatever he wanted.

16 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Bucks were a way more balanced team, but I think on paper Philly was a decent matchup vs the Lakers. They basically had the best perimeter defender and the best low post defender. Perimeter defender did ok, post defender got mollywhopped. Bucks wouldn't go on the droughts that Philly did, but I think Kobe would have a way better series and Shaq would still do whatever he wanted.

Sure, defensively the 76ers were superior no doubt, but the Bucks offensively would have been able to score with the Lakers. They had more offensive weapons compared to Philly who was completely reliant on AI and him creating for everyone else. The 76ers defense was great Shaq was going to do his thing regardless and the Lakers were going to get theirs. So best bet was for a team to go bucket for bucket against them. 

23 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I don't even remember who was on that Bucks team...

EDIT: Allen, Robinson and Cassell. I don't know...it would have been interesting but you can say that almost every year. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure, defensively the 76ers were superior no doubt, but the Bucks offensively would have been able to score with the Lakers. They had more offensive weapons compared to Philly who was completely reliant on AI and him creating for everyone else. The 76ers defense was great Shaq was going to do his thing regardless and the Lakers were going to get theirs. So best bet was for a team to go bucket for bucket against them. 

I don't think anyone could go bucket for bucket with the Lakers though. That team was crazy, Fisher and co were shooting really well, and their D was really good too. IMO the best chance was to limit Shaq as much as possible, and on paper the Sixers had the best possible player on the planet who if you had to put money on SOMEONE being able to do that, it would be that guy.

5 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I don't think anyone could go bucket for bucket with the Lakers though. That team was crazy, Fisher and co were shooting really well, and their D was really good too. IMO the best chance was to limit Shaq as much as possible, and on paper the Sixers had the best possible player on the planet who if you had to put money on SOMEONE being able to do that, it would be that guy.

But no one was limiting Shaq. That's why let him get his and get into a shootout… which in the early 00s was the equivalent of 102-100 LOL. 

Bucks were so good offensively that season and of course they faced the 76ers who were the best team to slow them down. AI was so good in that game 7.

Archived