49ers Trade for OL Laken Tomlinson

J-ALL-DAY

I actually posited this idea a while back. 2019 5th...meh...I'd rather have him than Erving lol 

He's a former first rounder, it's a position of need...no harm in trying to see what sticks to the wall at this price point. 

According to Idog in the news forum, he was always pretty solid in the run game, which makes me like this more. Our interior run blocking, particularly without Garnett, is atrocious. I think the blocking scheme that Shanny uses will help the pass blocking woes, and Hoyer's tendency to get the ball out quickly should also help. But we really needed to beef up the run blocking, so the fact that he may actually be competent in this regard is nice to hear. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

I like this move. We don't have to start one of Beadles/Fusco, and possibly neither when Garnett is back, so that's already a win. He hasn't been great in Detroit, though. 

That he hasn't. But we know what we have in Beadles, and it isn't good. Time to try someone else. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That he hasn't. But we know what we have in Beadles, and it isn't good. Time to try someone else. 

Plus, my understanding is that we have a completely different scheme than the Lions run with regards to offensive line play. Sometimes all it takes is putting a player in the right scheme fit. Look at Jerry Hughes. Yes, this move probably won't amount to anything, but the guy had talent and potential at one point, was a first round pick, so there was definitely something there. I think it's a good move for both teams. 

This is what IDog said about the deal in the news forum. He's a lions fan, likes to eval offensive line guys for those who don't know. 

Yeah it's a good move for you guys. He actually had some really good games last year when he went up against DT's that based their game on power and bull rushing because he was able to stop them with the jump-sets the Lions make their OL use. He struggled against the quicker DT's because he couldn't recover against them if he wasn't perfect in his pass set. But it worked against the power guys because they were trying to create contact too, so he was never really forced to have to recover against them. From what I know of Shannahan's system, he should work fairly well in it. Lots of play action that sells the run hard, he should fit well there. Won't be asked to jump-set, so that should help vs the quicker DT's. Might worry about him on the OZ plays that ask him to cover a lot of ground though, he isn't the greatest athlete, even among guards.

46 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Nice deal there, IMO. By 2019, it may be a rather low pick...closer to the 6th round than 4th, perhaps.

On top of that, by not trading a 2018 pick, we can get another new player in to help us on the team next year when the team will still be pretty talent-barren. 

So who stays between Beadles and Fusco? Don't think we keep both. Beadles could stay of he backs up center. Don't think Barnes is decent, even as a back-up. Beadles could back-up Kilgore but don't know if he's in play there. I like Fusco as a back-up. I like Gilliam as a back-up too but more as a guard than a tackle. I think Theus played his way on to the team against tbe Vikes. Wasn't flawless when Staley went out but he didn't look overwhelmed and asserted himself well. I think he's the swing tackle, barring an awful outing tonight.

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

So who stays between Beadles and Fusco? Don't think we keep both. Beadles could stay of he backs up center. Don't think Barnes is decent, even as a back-up. Beadles could back-up Kilgore but don't know if he's in play there. I like Fusco as a back-up. I like Gilliam as a back-up too but more as a guard than a tackle. I think Theus played his way on to the team against tbe Vikes. Wasn't flawless when Staley went out but he didn't look overwhelmed and asserted himself well. I think he's the swing tackle, barring an awful outing tonight.

Fusco stays over Beadles. Magnuson could stay over Barnes, and probably should, but he had a rough game agains the Vikings. With Garnett hitting IR, I'd say it should be  Staley/Brown/Kilgore/Tomlinson/Fusco/Magnuson (if he can play guard and center) / Gilliam and probably Theus. When Garnett comes back, probably drop Theus or Gilliam. 

I like the move, as we know he hasn't played great by any means but some fresh blood was needed. A younger guy, who has shown potential at times to boot. I like the value too as a 2019 5th round is very little for us to add some competition at a huge position of need. 

As far as who we keep, Fusco or Beadles, I think we keep both heading into season. Once Garnett is better we will probably release whichever guy has shown the least or has struggled the most. Being that we may only carry two QBs, five WRs and three TEs we should have an extra spot or two on the offensive side of the ball. And our OL by far is our biggest weakness right now.

2 QBs, 4 RBs, 3 FB/TEs, 5 WRs, 10 OL still leaves us one spot to keep another TE or WR. The 10 OL would be Staley, Brown, Gilliam, Theus, Garnett, Tomlinson, Fusco, Beadles, Kilgore, Magnuson. That would allow us more time to try and find a combination that worked.

Edit : A new report out that Garnett is still a month out from returning and will likely be designated for the IR with the ability to return or PUP. So that makes it pretty easy in my mind now. We keep Fusco and Beadles along with newly acquired Tomlinson. Should leave two spots open on offense now if we stick to the offensive roster breakdown I listed earlier. Maybe a WR who plays STs well since that seems to be a point of emphasis as well as another TE

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kind of sad he could be slotted in the starting line up without even playing a snap LOL. But that shows how bad our OGs are. 

For a future 5th. Not bad if he's got anything to offer at this point.  Fact is our o-line has been pretty bad and he should be an upgrade Heck, maybe we just let Beadles go when Garnett comes back?  I hope this doesn't mean we cut Magnuson and have another team take him before we can put him on our PS.

Archived